Offensive strategy against Oregon

AUTigers910

I just watched the Oregon/Oregon State game again. What I noticed when Oregon was playing defense is that Oregon State controlled the line for the majority of the game. Now here is my question. What do you believe will be our offensive strategy going into the game?

Honestly, with the Ducks 4-2-5 defense, I want to see if they can stop the run. Their rushing defense doesn't seem too bad statistically but when you look through the box scores you will see that the teams they played didn't run the ball extensively (which is very Pac-10-like). The two teams that ran it the most against Oregon were Cal and Arizona State, Oregon's two closest games. Cal had 36 rushes for 124 yards (averages about 160) and ASU carried the ball 46 times for 210 yards (averages about 140). I think we all know our line/offense is at a different level than these two teams. On a side note, it keeps the clock running and our defense off the field and fresh, which is important when playing an up-tempo team like Oregon.

Now having said that, I saw that Oregon sends a lot of their blitzes from the outside. One consequence I noticed was that there were major running holes open, but Oregon State's quarterback isn't the most mobile passer in the league. Will Gus tell Cam to let loose if he sees running room, instead of trying to find a receiver with them playing five players in the secondary? I would rather take my chances on Cam running the ball over throwing in a congested area at any point. Lastly, because of their blitzing packages, I think it would be wise to have Fannin and/or Smith back there picking up the delayed blitz as much as possible in obvious passing downs (which might eventually set up a few nice screens).

I'm positive Gus will figure it out but what is your take on it?

If they start blitzing off the ends then all we have to do is start running it up the middle. They will have to start putting guys in the middle to help stop the power game or they won't stop us at all. Also their DBs blitzing will still have to tackle Cam if they get to him. Our running game is not going to have much problem with their defense. Except maybe OMac won't get outside much. And I promise you Gus will tell Cam to take off up the middle if he sees an opening because their defense is undersized and will have their hands full if Cam comes running at them.

Our rushing yards dropped in the last few games of the season because defenses were stacking the box to prevent the run and using 'spies' to prevent Cam from breaking long runs.  Oregon is probably the only team in the country that plays a faster tempo offense than us, so running a 'smash mouth' offense that consumes the clock will help our defense.  A couple of 'three and outs' in a row by our offense could be disasterous!  We need to control the clock and limit the number of touches by Oregon.

Our rushing yards dropped in the last few games of the season because defenses were stacking the box to prevent the run and using 'spies' to prevent Cam from breaking long runs.  Oregon is probably the only team in the country that plays a faster tempo offense than us, so running a 'smash mouth' offense that consumes the clock will help our defense.  A couple of 'three and outs' in a row by our offense could be disasterous!  We need to control the clock and limit the number of touches by Oregon.

With our blocking and Cam's power we will be able to control the clock. Oregon's defense ain't LSU's or Bama's they are smaller so they ain't going to be able to stand up Cam or Dyer much. Oregon is a running team and if we score and they have to start passing with our D-line coming their offense will be all screwed up. They only win big because they run the score up at the end when the Defense are worn out but ours plays alot with us scoring quick alot and practices against our offense's tempo so they won't be as easily worn out as the others they played.

I agree that our offensive and defensive lines should be able to control the line of scrimmage.  I just hope that CTR has our defense ready to play all 4 quarters - like the USCe game, instead of the 2 quarters they played in the UAT game!!!!!

If our Offense is rolling and we get up the Defense will thrive off of it and come alive. I think the game will be out of hand by the 4th quarter before the defense would be affected.

Glad everyone thinks it will be a cake walk. It won't.

Oregon is a high powered offense that slowed only once this year. Ball control by Auburn will keep them from using that power, but turn overs and time (since I too believe even our running game may score relatively fast) will allow them to score.

The up side is Cam's ability to pass accurately and our underrated receiving corps.

In the end, it will take ball control and speed (on defense too) on our part to contain a powerful opponent. Should our DLine visit Darren Thomas often in the pocket, their game plan will be upset.

* trivia point - I'm sure Bama fans would enjoy trashing their #2 running back - Kenjon Barner :-X

* stop by a say "Hi" to Lache Seastrunk on their bench.

Their D line is a little undersized, I don't think they had a single guy over 250. That means Cam is bigger than all of their d line. Auburn SHOULD dominate that line. I just think back to when Alabama played Utah a couple years back and had to have thought the same thing and got manhandled. But that's a completely different situation from ours.

Oregon loves the corners, and loves to dump the ball underneath the LBs on crossing patterns, and loves the jailbreak screen, the zone blitz will be key to disrupting that dump across the middle and getting pressure from the ends will be key. This game most likely will be close unless we start getting pressure and we start pounding James and their QB. I think if we get about 4 three and outs with our defense and we capitalize on every drive, we will pound their smallish defense into submission in the fourth quarter. BUT, if we allow them to gain momentum and we give up stupid big plays and penalties start to mount, it might be a long day for us. The only other thing that concerns me is the Heisman burnout. If Cam wins the trophy, he will be going on a long and drawnout "winner's tour" that is very tiring. The Heisman curse is not a curse at all, usually the winner doesn't play well because he is exhausted from all of the media and speaking engagements. I hope Coach Chizik will limit his exposure and keep Cam focused and rested.

I think our offensive strategy will be similar to our defense.  Physical play.  I don't think we are a finesse team, I think we are very physical and we win by being physical.  Our defense and offense needs to establish early and often the punishment that is SEC football.  For example, although Jeffrey had a touchdown catch after it, the hit that Bates put on him in the first quarter I think affected him.  We have been doing that all year.  We give up some big plays but we get some big hits to make you pay.  Fairley and the D-Line needs to get to the quarterback and hit him like he has not been hit all year.  We will need to get to L James behind the line before he gets into space. 

Also, the thing that was glaring in the SEC Championship game was the dominant play of the Auburn O-line and D-line.  I think it is the oldest truth in the game, but dominate the lines, win the game.  I like our chances there as I have not heard much about the Oregon line play.   

I believe that the game will end up with numbers similar to the early games this year.  High rushing totals.  The Line should be able to control rushing lanes.  This will lead to some big pass plays though as their D backs will eventually start looking into the backfield to stop the run.  CGM plans start with the run and then go with what is given.  Omac will not be just an outside threat. The ducks d-line size is not SEC version and he will have some inside runs.  The key will be scoring on the majority of our possessions, 3 and outs and turnovers will need to be kept to a minimum.

Guest simonsez

I have seen a few of oregons games this year and I noticed 2 things that is gonna get them beat.  1) their lines are gonna get blown up by Auburns lines  2) They arm tackle a lot.  <-----Arm tackling aint gonna bring down SEC running backs and definately wont bring down cam

I have no doubt our offense will score at will for the majority of the game.  My main concern is the running ability of Thomas.  We will have to stay at home.  Thomas, I think, is the reason they are as good as they are.  He can throw pretty well but I like our defense against the pass this game, maybe because they dont have 6'4 receivers (I think).  We still struggle a little with the mobile QB.  Jefferson ran on us pretty good in the LSU game.  They have a lot of options, but I like the ferociousness of our defense right now.  I believe we will be in the backfield all day.  Good thing the Heisman will be voted on before this game because Fairley may give Cam a run for his money in the game  :bow:

i say once we get up on them....run 10 yards and get down...even if you can break it for a TD...they arent going to stop us from running the ball...just keep the clock moving through long sustained drives.

Cam up the middle for 4 yds.  Fall down.  Repeat. 

Seriously, I think we'll run sustained drives to keep the defense as fresh as possible.  Oregon doesn't allow you to sub so the guys need to be fresh.  I believe our offensive line can dominate the d-line of oregon.  Also, Gustav can come up with something.  Since, OU is so fast maybe a lot of mis-direction to get them going the wrong direction. 

The Defense has a month to get conditioned for staying on the field on drives and the coaches will run the offense at a Oregon tempo to help them get used to it. But again the tempo only really helps them in the 4th quarter, look at their games. If we get a big lead going in to the 4th then the tempo is all for not.

Archived