Former HSAA OL Returning To Auburn in Jan.

aun

Very ifffy sounding to me.  Lots of questions.  Just because the kid wants to come doesnt mean Auburn wants him to come.  A year is a long time for a linemen to be dormant.  Was he in prep, jc or on the couch.  Jus sayin.

A member of the Scout site said he had spoken to Aubrey and that his family situation had been solved and he will be back to AU in Jan for school & football. Any of ya'll heard anything about this? It would be great to get him back to help solidify the OL in the near future.

The point of this is???

Phillips was a BIG OL Signee and if he is in shape and ready to go, he could make a difference at Auburn.

How many stars? (not that it matters)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Aubrey-Phillips-70383

profiile coming out of high school

Thank you for this link.

:we:

A couple questions about this and a statement:

Statement.  This kid transferred over from FSU and was playing well when he was declared medically ineligible due to a heart issue, possibly a heart murmur.  He sat out and not sure what he has done since, but he has talent. 

Questions:

a. Is this in a scholarship form or a walk on role?

b. is he medically cleared to come in now and is he in solid shape?

c. has he been in school for the past year or will he be starting back over?  I know he wasn't at Auburn but did he go to a JUCO or just focus on his health?

I had the good fortune to coach a female high school basketball player who was a great kid with a heart issue.  The kid was great her freshman year, but very uninspired the next summer as she tired easily and lacked energy.

She was diagnosed with a heart issue and was treated.  The good news was her senior year she was back to her old self and had a positive impact on her team.  Hopefully Phillips can have the same happy story. 

Family issue resolved or medical issue? Those are two very different things. The official statement was that he wasn't able to play for medical reasons. Family situations can resolve. Medical issues are more difficult.

I need some clarification on this topic as well. Ok, so Aubrey is trying to make a comeback, which is good for him to battle back. I'm proud of him for fighting through his adversity and wanting to make something of himself. How does he count against the 85 limit but not against the 25 in this class? It is my understanding that if he is indeed offered a scholarship, which would count against the team limit, that he would have to be one of the 25 in this class. If he isn't offered a scholarship but accepted as a walk on, he doesn't count towards either. Then he will count against the limit when/if he does earn a scholarship. Or maybe there is a condition that if a player was counted towards a certain class, leaves for certain reasons(medical) and comes back, then he doesn't have to be part of the present class and can be counted back to the class he originally came in. He obviously hasn't been in school but he did redshirt one year so i would assume he has 4 years to play 4, right? Also, he would have to be cleared medically or our staff would give him a scholarship. Whether he is in shape or not is another story, which I would imagine he's not but the good thing is he won't have to be anytime soon. We could use him next year though and he would add to our OL numbers. I think by him enrolling in January and having better OL numbers, it gives us an opportunity to wait on Fahrenkrug to finish his work/graduate and join the team in the summer, especially if Aubrey doesn't count towards this class.

Family issue resolved or medical issue? Those are two very different things. The official statement was that he wasn't able to play for medical reasons. Family situations can resolve. Medical issues are more difficult.

I would imagine both is resolved or our staff wouldn't let him come back, since he would be in the same situation as when he left.

Very ifffy sounding to me.  Lots of questions.  Just because the kid wants to come doesnt mean Auburn wants him to come.   A year is a long time for a linemen to be dormant.  Was he in prep, jc or on the couch.  Jus sayin.

>:( Yes. I'm sure he's going around letting people know this and not being in contact with his coaches. "Jus sayin"

So why would we take a question mark and close the door on a future prospect? I mean if we lose out on a RB on the signing day and have an opening, are we really going to give it to AP instead of another RB?

I say this is a walk on type situation or gray shirt him and see how his health is before I take that scholarship away from a kid who has no known health issues.

So why would we take a question mark and close the door on a future prospect? I mean if we lose out on a RB on the signing day and have an opening, are we really going to give it to AP instead of another RB?

I say this is a walk on type situation or gray shirt him and see how his health is before I take that scholarship away from a kid who has no known health issues.

To answer both of your questions, No, we wouldn't. I believe he would count towards the class he came in, not in this class. Our coaches get paid very well for a reason.

You're assuming way too much in your statements (who AP would replace, if he would even replace someone, AP's current state of health, etc.).  As people said before, he was extremely promising before his health deteriorated.  Even if something does come back up, AP would be a legit candidate to medical hardship scholarships and we'd have one more scholarship in the loaded 2012 class.

Trust the coaches to get it right.

Archived