Frost is ALL IN

aun

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this is already posted, but i havent seen it. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6003014

that is an article from espn about commitments at the army game... look what it says about frost... apparently he hasnt contacted the coaches? hope thats inaccurate

Don't worry yourself, man. That stems from a report by Bryan Matthews about the coaches scrambling to figure out how they can make room for him, but rest assured that we WILL find room for him.

alright i appreciate it red. yeah theres been so many conflicting reports on whether he cleared his commitment with the coaches or not. some people claiming on twitter they talked to him and saying he did and others (like bryan matthews) saying he didn't.  i was just curious that espn came out and said he didnt clear it either.  but since it comes from bmatt's report i guess i have no reason to worry. thanks again red and war eagle

Yeah, trust me, I have it on excellent authority that Frost will be a Tiger next year.

Gosh, I just had a vision of Tony the Tiger from Frosted Flakes cereal, and I'm trying to think of a cool way to incorporate that into a nickname, but I don't know how well it'll work...

As I posted in another thread I like Frosty the Sack Man if he is moved to LB.

Yeah, I saw that, and I like that nickname, but it's based upon a different cartoon character. I was honestly thinking more of how to incorporated the front of a box of Frosted Flakes into a sign...

So the only ones that didn't give up was Coach Lolley and DJ. I hope it gets worked out for the guy, but if he told the coaches he was Wolverine then he has nobody to blame but himself. I'd hate for someone to lose their spot because of this. So that leaves a couple of possibilities.

1) A player takes a greyshirt. Dirty business.

2) Be up front, Be respectful, but tell one of the guys on the fence that they commit now or forget it.

The problem is that #2 has probably already been done, and commitments made by player, just not public. For those like Drew, you just keep a spot open regardless.

So the only ones that didn't give up was Coach Lolley and DJ. I hope it gets worked out for the guy, but if he told the coaches he was Wolverine then he has nobody to blame but himself. I'd hate for someone to lose their spot because of this. So that leaves a couple of possibilities.

2) Be up front, Be respectful, but tell one of the guys on the fence that they commit now or forget it.

There is nothing dirty about greyshirting a guy for 1 semester as long as you are up front with him and his family can afford it and you do not wait til July to tell the player the way the Corndogs did with that lineman who ended up at UK.

There is nothing dirty about greyshirting a guy for 1 semester as long as you are up front with him and his family can afford it and you do not wait til July to tell the player the way the Corndogs did with that lineman who ended up at UK.

I know that if it the situation had ever arisen, and i was one of the select few being brought to auburn to play football but someone had to greyshirt, i would volunteer to jump on that grenade knowing that i come from a family that is capable of putting me through. Do the coaches take that in to account, meaning the affluence of the families by asking one of the more well off guys if he can afford a semester before going on scholarship?

I'm not trying to be contradictive, or anything, but I just don't understand this whole Greyshirt thing.  How do you look a kid and say " We really want you, but you need to pay your own way for a year, cause we need your scolly for someone better."  Maybe I'm missing something? :dunno:

Huggins may be able to qualify for an academic scholarship.  His grades and SAT score seem to reflect that he might be able to qualify for some sort of scholarship money.

On a side note I still feel uncomfortable with the idea of silent commitments, it seems like it could open up sticky situations like the Frost situation.  That being said, I truly don't feel like there is a Frost situation.  I think the recruiting media may have messed up this situation, however, I still wait on final word from AU on this situation.  I really hate to think that we would miss on athlete like Kris Frost.  

Here's something. Do any of our recruits qualify for academic scholarships? That would make it a little easier "IF" someone did have to greyshirt.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. It's been asked before and the answer goes like this. If you are under scholarship by the school and you step out on the football field, no matter what the scholarship is, it's considered a football scholarship. Basically it's the reason i never attempted to walk on.

They implemented the rule to prevent schools from giving athletes academic scholarships or other sport scholarships so that they can get over the 85 limit. Say he plays basketball and football, and is good enough to get a scholarship for both and wants to play both in college. Technically the scholarship is considered a football scholarship and he's a walk on on the basketball team. Same goes for baseball and swimming and other sports.

Here's something. Do any of our recruits qualify for academic scholarships? That would make it a little easier "IF" someone did have to greyshirt.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. It's been asked before and the answer goes like this. If you are under scholarship by the school and you step out on the football field, no matter what the scholarship is, it's considered a football scholarship. Basically it's the reason i never attempted to walk on.

They implemented the rule to prevent schools from giving athletes academic scholarships or other sport scholarships so that they can get over the 85 limit. Say he plays basketball and football, and is good enough to get a scholarship for both and wants to play both in college. Technically the scholarship is considered a football scholarship and he's a walk on on the basketball team. Same goes for baseball and swimming and other sports.

Back in the old days we had football players on basketball scholly's. The NCAA changed it many moons ago.

You can thank quality people like the Bahr for not being able to do that anymore.

I'm not trying to be contradictive, or anything, but I just don't understand this whole Greyshirt thing.  How do you look a kid and say " We really want you, but you need to pay your own way for a year, cause we need your scolly for someone better."  Maybe I'm missing something? :dunno:

Not a year...a semester...and they would ask a player whose family is more well off so it would not be for a "better" player.

Not a year...a semester...and they would ask a player whose family is more well off so it would not be for a "better" player.

Thx for that, but how does a semester get us past the 25/85 limits?

when he goes on scholarship he'll be considered just picking up from one of the seniors that graduated in the winter.

when he goes on scholarship he'll be considered just picking up from one of the seniors that graduated in the winter.

Ahhh...I'm catchin what your pitchin now..thx fellers

The reason it is only one semister is because it is just the fall semister because when they go on scholarship in the spring they will count towards the nexted years 25... I think that is correct  but a greyshirt cannot play that season or practice with the team... again I think that is correct

the schollarship will count to the next years 25 as well. guys if you remember robert cooper was offered this way in chiziks first class. he was told he would get a shot at qb then te, but if needed be a greyshirt. it worked out that the greyshirt was not needed and he was on scholarship in august. so i suspect one of our commits with fewer than 4 stars  likely has a similiar offer. i dont think chizik would pull a miles or saban and tell a player he must pay his own way in july. i suspect that either ladarious phillips or that lineman with the odd name had a similair offer.

this is the first time i have thought about cooper since spring game. he did well in that game and has not been seen since but just a rsfresh.

the schollarship will count to the next years 25 as well. guys if you remember robert cooper was offered this way in chiziks first class. he was told he would get a shot at qb then te, but if needed be a greyshirt. it worked out that the greyshirt was not needed and he was on scholarship in august. so i suspect one of our commits with fewer than 4 stars  likely has a similiar offer. i dont think chizik would pull a miles or saban and tell a player he must pay his own way in july. i suspect that either ladarious phillips or that lineman with the odd name had a similair offer.

this is the first time i have thought about cooper since spring game. he did well in that game and has not been seen since but just a rsfresh.

This maybe be Sigler's situation and maybe thats why he hasn't commited yet just a thought

soooooo wasn't Kris supposed to talk to coach today? Seems like something that would have been done this morning right? I guess no news means just that, we don't know anything new...

Archived