AUBURN vs. Oregon’s depth chart.

AUmind

I keep hearing how Auburn’s players are so much bigger than Oregon’s so I had to look for my self. What are your thoughts?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/aub/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart.pdf

and

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=3743320

My thoughts are that blazing speed and quickness can somewhat mitigate the size advantage. 

Of course, our guys aren't exactly slow either.

Speed has to get in the open field before it can do damage... not much use behind the line of scrimmage if their offensive lineman cant open up the running game.

Auburn has power and speed. The SEC always has that. Thats what makes the conference so special.

My thoughts are that blazing speed and quickness can somewhat mitigate the size advantage. 

Speed has to get in the open field before it can do damage... not much use behind the line of scrimmage if their offensive lineman cant open up the running game.

Auburn has power and speed. The SEC always has that. Thats what makes the conference so special.

Execution matters more than anything.

Execution matters more than anything.

Well I can execute all I want, but I still cant block Nick Fairley  ;)

What people fail to realize is 265lbs running a 4.6 can easily get an angle on 185lbs running a 4.5.  That's not to mention our DE's who are heavier than Oregon but have the speed to chase down QB's. The PAC 10 has SEC speed. The BIG 10 has SEC size.  But only the SEC has the size and the speed... and that is the major difference. All anyone says about LaMichael James is he can burn but he has the power when he needs it.  He's going to need the power this game, and how many here honestly think he's going to run over Josh Bynes and keep going?  If you do, you don't keep up with Auburn football that well.

It could be very revealing come game time that AU's speed is just as good as Oregons...

Don't be surprised if this is the case... and we are indeed bigger than they are....

And we have been conditioning since the spring, on both sides of the ball, for a fast-break pace in a game...

AU wins this straight up... and I don't think it will be that close either!!! AU doesn't lose a game in the 2010 season...

And...

It is not like the teams we have played in the SEC are void of speed.  Take Arkansas for example....  Straight up I I would think Arkansas has more speed than the Ducks.

We have seen speed before.  It is nothing new.

Now the tempo of the game may be different,  but the speed of the Oregon players is not head and shoulders above  our SEC competition.

And...

It is not like the teams we have played in the SEC are void of speed.  Take Arkansas for example....   Straight up I I would think Arkansas has more speed than the Ducks.

Now the tempo of the game may be different,  but the speed of the Oregon players is not head and shoulders above  our SEC competition.

Ole Miss has plenty of speed and three really good running backs with a qb that played for Oregon last year. Auburn did quite well.

And...

It is not like the teams we have played in the SEC are void of speed.  Take Arkansas for example....   Straight up I I would think Arkansas has more speed than the Ducks.

Auburn cannot allow Oregon to control the tempo of the game. We need to own it right from the start. They have controlled the tempo in most games this season, and used it to their great advantage.

Speed and size matter in that you want to have both to be a complete team in all phases. If a team has both of these desired qualities, it will usually beat a team that has speed but is significantly smaller or a team that is larger, but lacks speed. If you break it down, Auburn has size and speed. Oregon has speed but is lacking in size as compared to Auburn. One factor that cannot be measured though, is the team's heart and desire to win. Of course, both teams have this, but one team that might have an edge on the other is Auburn. We have 16 days left before our destiny becomes reality of which equates to a National Championship. There is a spirit among all Auburn fans that I am honored and proud to be a part of! Lets make it happen on Jan 10, 2011!

WDE!!!

Sir Doc

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

Of course, both teams have this, but one team that might have an edge on the other is Auburn. We have 16 days left before our destiny becomes reality of which equates to a National Championship.

With all due respect, how is the Auburn team's motivation different from that of the Oregon team?

I think Auburn is the better team because they have proven it on the field against far better competition than Oregon's.

Guest simonsez

Of course, both teams have this, but one team that might have an edge on the other is Auburn. We have 16 days left before our destiny becomes reality of which equates to a National Championship.

With all due respect, how is the Auburn team's motivation different from that of the Oregon team?

I think Auburn is the better team because they have proven it on the field against far better competition than Oregon's.

The appearance seems to be that the underdog has less to lose.  Oregon is easily the underdog in this game according to everything ive been hearing.  Ive watched a lot of oregon lately and im not worried in the slightest.  I was worried almost every game this year too.  We have close to equal speed and we're bigger.  Im betting that power is gonna play more of a factor than speed.  If we bulldose their line on every snap, their speed is useless

The appearance seems to be that the underdog has less to lose.  Oregon is easily the underdog in this game according to everything ive been hearing.  Ive watched a lot of oregon lately and im not worried in the slightest.  I was worried almost every game this year too.  We have close to equal speed and we're bigger.  Im betting that power is gonna play more of a factor than speed.  If we bulldose their line on every snap, their speed is useless

Be careful with that cozy feeling you get. I've had that feeling go bad on me several times.

Auburn is the better team. I believe that with every fiber of my being, and if we play up to our potential, the Quack Attack will be little more than a Tiger snack...but if we give them even a crease, they can exploit it. That's Oregon's greatest strength: give 'em one little seam and they're gone.

Everything has fallen into place. We fought through adversity. We grew stronger as the season went on. We've made big time play after big time play, and we're left standing with just one left to play. On paper, the matchup is pretty one sided, because we've played so much better competition...but to be completely honest, that offense scares me more than any other we've faced. Not because I think we match up worse against them or anything (Arkansas matched up better against us, actually, with Mallett throwing rockets to that NFL WR corps), but because there's so much of an unknown about how they will measure up against us.

At the end of the day, I still think we win, but I will remain nothing more than cautiously optimistic until the final gun.

Guest simonsez

When given time, Malzahn and Chizik can find ways to destroy any opponents offense.  If our guys actually show up like they did the past 6 quarters, I have no fear.

When given time, Malzahn and Chizik can find ways to destroy any opponents offense.  If our guys actually show up like they did the past 6 quarters, I have no fear.

That's a big if. Oregon is better than South Carolina, and I think it'll be a lot harder for us to climb out of the hole against them like we did against the turds, should we be put in the situation.

Don't you mean Roof and Chizik?  Or did you mean any opponent's defense?

I think the seniors will give us the motivational edge in this game.  We have ALOT more size on both sides of the line of scrimmage in the trenches. 

Has anyone besides GA noticed that Masoli is an average QB against SEC defenses?

The only way we lose this game is if  we beat ourselves.

If Masoli is the measuring stick, AU is in good shape...

= all-world @ OU against PAC-10 level competition...

= very average SEC QB @ Ole Miss...

And I know he didn't have the same caliber athletes around him, but he was not impressive in my opinion, from watching them play several times this year...

Not only was he playing with less talent around him, he was also playing with more talent across the line of scrimmage. Masoli strikes me as a system QB; Kelly has a good system in place. Remember Dennis Dixon? If he hadn't gotten hurt, Oregon might well have played Oklahoma for it all two years ago.

I just don't think we can use Masoli as a indicator.

Archived