Huntsville Times Classic, Trevor Lacey, and more

Ronald McDonald

So I've been to the Huntsville Times Classic the past two nights to watch the local North Alabama basketball teams. Thought I'd share a quick rundown with ya'll:

Trevor Lacey- He looked good yesterday against Grissom. He and his cousin (Justin Pride) run a two man show on Butler's team. They were triple teaming TL and he really had no chance to get in a rhythm for all the holding and fouling Grissom was doing. He finished that game with 28 points but did so pretty quietly. Today, his team played Selma and Trevor was playing great until he went down with a knee injury early in the 4th quarter. At one point he hit 3 three's on 3 straight possessions with one of them becoming a 4 point play. Tonight, Butler played Columbia and Trevor probably shouldn't have played. You could tell his knee was really bothering him and he probably finished with around 10 points. Butler and Trevor play in the finals tomorrow night.

Devin Langford (Illinois commit)- This kid can play. I hate we lost out on him but he's very talented. Not much to add. I didn't get to focus on him as much as I did Trevor.

Levi Randolph (Alabama commit)- He's just as talented as Devin. I'd probably put them on the same level. Levi is rangy and can hit the three ball. He's not as physical as Devin and isn't the pure scorer like Trevor and he has more talent surrounding him but Randolph is fundamentally sound. I was very impressed.

Brent Calloway- Since Russellville is in the losers bracket, I haven't had the chance to watch them. I've heard Brent is just an average basketball player but I guess I'll see tomorrow afternoon when they play for the losers bracket championship.

Reggie Ragland- Really physical. Not much more to add to that. Kinda unfair to have Reggie and Levi on the same team :laugh:

Charles Eaton- Listed as a 2 star on scout. I liked how he shot the ball. He has poise and was the main focus for Selma. I could see him going somewhere small for basketball. He's athletic.

Here are two articles on the HTC: http://topics.al.com/tag/Huntsville%20Times%20Classic/index.html

I did see an Auburn recruiter and Nebraska recruiter the past two days along with UT-Chattanooga. I know there were more there but just didn't recognize them.

It's been the most packed they've ever seen. Probably around 3,000 or so per night. They had to lock people out of the gym because there were so many there. Championship game is Butler v. Bob Jones tomorrow night at Huntsville High School at 6:30. If you love some great basketball then you can't miss this one. Doors will open around two hours before and it will pack out within an hour and a half of the doors opening.

They should go ahead and give Butler the 4A title. I may be wrong but I believe Butler's area and our area(DAR) matchup in the 1st round of the playoffs.

If they are 4A Area 15 then they do :thumbsup: I talked to Jack Doss (Butler Coach) about it and he said he did everything he could to try and keep Butler in 5A but they wouldn't allow it and he felt bad for all of the 4A teams in North Alabama.

I would LOVE to go Westie....but my son won't be back in town until late tomorrow night. He'd love to see Levi and Reggie play! We saw Levi's Dad at Kroger a few days ago. He's such a nice man.

GO BOB JONES!!

Sorry but I gotta root for Trevor since I grew up with him in elementary and middle school.. But here's to a great game. May Trevor have 50 points and Levi have 49. Love watching them play. BTW, the BJHS white boys (Cade Johnson/Kyle Dennis) can ball.

I went yesterday for the 1st session. Butler/Selma was easily the most entertaining of the session. Trevor really packs out a gym and doesn't dissapoint- loved the two handed jam! I'm going to give the edge to BJ in tonights championship though- with the fact Trevor is not 100% and that BJ has the better overall team. Some of the players that stood out to me were Flowers (Columbia), Douglas (Sparkman), Moss (BJ),  and Eaton ( Selma)- in addition to the big 3 of Lacy, Randolph, and Langford. I also watched Frankie Sullivans "little" bro Lewis play. He is a 6'5" Freshman at Hazel Green. Gonna be a good one.

Yeah I didn't get to watch Lewis play. I'll see him when HHS plays Hazel Green in area play. BJ definitely gets the edge tonight. Trevor looked around 75-80% in the 2nd game last night. He had two very sick dunks in the Selma game though. You missed the tip slam he had against Grissom though.

Flowers is going to either Ole Miss or Mississippi State for football I think. Moss played alright when I watched. He's an above average PG. I was impressed by Jamar Pope for Sparkman.

Sorry but I gotta root for Trevor since I grew up with him in elementary and middle school.. But here's to a great game. May Trevor have 50 points and Levi have 49. Love watching them play. BTW, the BJHS white boys (Cade Johnson/Kyle Dennis) can ball.

guys lets not cheer too much for a TURDS commit

I'll root for who I please. Who cares. He's human and a heck of a basketball player.

I'll have plenty of time to root against him next year when I'm a freshman at AU and he's a freshman at Alabama.

:banghead:

I hope you are joking.

Butler 59 Bob Jones 57

Trevor was doubled all night long but came up clutch when he was needed. He hit a runner in the lane within 1 minute to give Butler a 3 point lead then BJ's Cade Johnson hit a 3 to tie it. Trevor was then fouled with 3 seconds left as he went in for a layup. He hit his two free throws to put them up and proceeded to pick off the BJ inbound pass to seal the victory.

I got there 90 min before tip and the place was sold out and they locked the doors 30 min before tip off.

Yeah the VBC would make more sense, but there are all those holiday shows and hockey to work around. Maybe that's why they haven't done it before. Or maybe it's the cost.... :dunno:

Here is the link if anybody wants to watch the highlights of the finals:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmzRkx32Jet4&h=4c499

And they charge $5 per person and had 5 sessions over 3 days with an average of about 2,000 people per session.. I think they could up the price to $8 and they could pay for the rent. 

Archived