Some of the worst five star recruiting busts of the past decade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(From Edwin Weathersby of the The Bleacher Report.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some the worst five-star recruiting busts from the past decade.

** MITCH MUSTAIN, QB, Arkansas/Southern Cal

Mustain went through some drama in his recruitment. He was an Arkansas boy (coached in high school by Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn) through and through, yet was hesitant to become a Razorback due to playing in Houston Nutt's run dominant offense. He really wanted to go to Notre Dame, but Charlie Weis was holding out for Jimmy Clausen the following year.

The 6-3, 210-pound Mustain was a top two QB prospect in the 2006 recruiting class. He finally signed with Arkansas and won eight games as a true freshman, starting in the SEC. Yet after the season, he announced he was not comfortable at Arkansas, and ended up transferring to USC.

Mustain never saw the field much in Los Angeles, as he was repeatedly overlooked for Mark Sanchez, Aaron Corp and Matt Barkley. He was arrested recently on drug charges. I'm not sure if Mustain was a bust in the sense that he was overhyped, or he just never got his chance.

** WILLIE WILLIAMS, LB, Miami/Louisville

Williams was a linebacker who committed to Miami, yet was discovered to have a very dark and disturbing past. He had been arrested over a dozen times in his life and was also going to be unable to qualify to get into Miami. He was then arrested during a recruiting visit to Florida.

At 6-2, 225 pounds, he had the potential to become an all-world linebacker but never did. He did get into Miami, but ended up transferring to West Los Angeles Community College. Then he went to Louisville, got arrested for drug possession, tried unsuccessfully to transfer to Glenville State and finally wound up at Union College, an NAIA school.

Williams had the size, speed, quickness and strength to become a great outside linebacker, but he never had the stability and focus to put it all together.

** BEN OLSON, QB, BYU/UCLA

Olson shot up recruiting boards during the spring evaluation period going into his senior year. He is a 6-5, 225-pound lefty with a cannon for an arm who could move well in the pocket. He had offers from every major program in college football.

Olson, of Mormon faith, chose to head to BYU where he took his Mission. Upon returning back from his religious work, he decided that he wanted transfer and ended up at UCLA. The Bruin nation was beaming with hope as Olson was destined to be the next big thing in Westwood. It never happened.

If he wasn't battling injuries, Olson was battling rust and poor play. The years he took off for his mission hindered his development, and he never came close to realizing his potential from high school.

** DARRELL SCOTT, RB, Colorado/South Florida

Scott is a relatively young bust, but a bust anyway you slice it. He had all the hype in high school and was the No.1 rated high school running back in 2008 and had more than 40 offers. At 6-1, 200 pounds, he had a combo of size, speed and strength to be a elite runner. He committed to Texas, only to back out when Longhorn running backs coach Ken Rucker was replaced. He announced for Colorado on National Signing Day.

But when he arrived Boulder, he never really produced. He had 343 yards on 87 carries in his freshman year. When he did get in the game, you didn't see anything that wowed you. He complained about carries and playing time and announced a transfer in the middle of his sophomore season. He wanted to go to UCLA, but the Bruins didn't want him. He's now at South Florida and has two more years of eligibility left to revive his career.

** WHITNEY LEWIS, WR, USC/Northern Iowa

Lewis was a monster in high school at 6-1, 220 pounds and ran a 4.34 40 at the LA NIKE Camp. He was a vicious route runner and could also play running back. He was the first California player to ever rush and receive for 1,000 yards in the sameseason.

He wanted to go to Florida State, and play with best friend Lorenzo Booker, but his parents literally forced him to go to USC. They wouldn't even sign his letter of intent to go to FSU, which made Whitney, only 17-years old, almost obliged to go to USC where his parents would sign his LOI.

Lewis rarely saw the field at USC. Pete Carroll and Norm Chow wanted to use him as a jack of all trades player on offense to factor as a receiver and running back, but Lewis only wanted to play receiver. He ended up transferring to Northern Iowa after two years and didn't make much noise there either.

** KYLE WRIGHT, QB, Miami

Wright went to Miami as a new and improved version of Ken Dorsey. He was a better athlete, had a stronger arm and ran faster than Dorsey. But everyone overlooked the fact that he lacked Dorsey's smarts and instincts. At 6-3, 220 pounds, Wright was a bust in Coral Gables.

He was even booed at times at home games and never came close to playing like evaluators thought he would. Speculation has it where he was distracted by many off the field problems, while others claim he had poor coaching. Anyway you look at it, Wright goes down as one the biggest recruiting busts of the 2000s.

** FRED ROUSE, WR, Florida State/UTEP/Concordia College

Rouse was a receiver that was supposed to be the next Randy Moss. Blessed with a 6-foot-5 frame and 4.4 speed, there was nothing that Rouse couldn't do on the field. He was rumored to have felt that he was ready for the NFL out of high school.

He arrived on Florida State's campus with a sense of entitlement and infuriated Bobby Bowden with his lack of focus. He played one season as a 'Nole through the Orange Bowl in 2006. Rouse then transferred to UTEP after the season, ran into off the field problems and ended up at Concordia College, a small school with an enrollment of less than 500. He's one of the biggest flame-outs of the decade as we never got to see what he could do on the big stage.

** RYAN PERRILLOUX, QB, LSU/Jacksonville State

Perrilloux had a high school career to remember, totaling nearly 13,000 yards of offense. At 6-2, 220 pounds, he was considered the next Donovan McNabb. He could throw, he could run and he claimed he'd win the Heisman as a true freshman. "LSU needs a QB, and I'm the guy," he boasted when the Tigers still had JaMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn on the roster. His arrogance proved to be his downfall. Perrilloux routinely broke team rules, rubbed teammates the wrong way and lacked focus and drive to get better. Then he even became involved in a federal investigation and a fight at a nightclub.

He was finally dismissed from the team by Coach Les Miles in 2008 and transferred to Jacksonville State, where he was suspended again for breaking team rules. He went undrafted in 2010, signed with the Hartford Colonials of the UFL and signed as a reserve/future player for the New York Giants.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about Albert Means? Know what I mean? Or was he in the previous decade? Heck, I don't know if he was even a 5 star jewel.

WDE!

Doc

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

What about Albert Means? Know what I mean? Or was he in the previous decade? Heck, I don't know if he was even a 5 star jewel.

WDE!

Doc

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

didnt he show up like 50 pounds overweight or something?

WHAT???? Ben Obamanu was damn good for most of his career here at Auburn, and I do believe he is starting in the NFL with the Seahawks.  So, I'll have to disagree with that thinking....

WHAT???? Ben Obamanu was damn good for most of his career here at Auburn, and I do believe he is starting in the NFL with the Seahawks.  So, I'll have to disagree with that thinking....

Yep, he just signed a new 3 year extension with the Seahawks.  You don't have a career in the NFL if you are a college bust.

Alan Evans AU running back in 1983 ish and Raven Gray were two that jumped with me. Obamanu was a good solid player, if you remember we were a running team pretty much when he was here.

Yep, he just signed a new 3 year extension with the Seahawks.  You don't have a career in the NFL if you are a college bust.

Obamanu was a great player while at Auburn and he has played well for Seattle. I think he will continue to do good for th Seahawks and become a better receiver.

Obamanu was a great player while at Auburn and he has played well for Seattle. I think he will continue to do good for th Seahawks and become a better receiver.

I have mixed feelings on Obumanu. He may have been the best receiver out of he, Anthony Mix, Devin Aromashadu, and Courtney Taylor, but I will never forget the dropped potential game winning TD pass against Ole Miss. He was wide open.... and just dropped it.

Personally I think Julio Jones has been one of the biggest busts in many years.  Yes, he's had some good games.  But he's never lived up to the hype.  He can't catch the ball unless he's making some kind of circus catch.  The easy ones he misses.  Yet, he's still expected to be a 1st round draft pick.  Just don't see it.  WDE!!!

:zapbama:

Personally I think Julio Jones has been one of the biggest busts in many years.  Yes, he's had some good games.  But he's never lived up to the hype.  He can't catch the ball unless he's making some kind of circus catch.  The easy ones he misses.  Yet, he's still expected to be a 1st round draft pick.  Just don't see it.   WDE!!!

I just cant agree with this. I love Auburn but Jones was a great player while at Alabama and will be great I think in the NFL

I have mixed feelings on Obumanu. He may have been the best receiver out of he, Anthony Mix, Devin Aromashadu, and Courtney Taylor, but I will never forget the dropped potential game winning TD pass against Ole Miss. He was wide open.... and just dropped it.

Obamanu ranks 14th in career yardage and 9th in receptions at AU.  He was a 5 star player coming in.  Possibly one of the highest rated WRs AU has ever gotten.  I wouldn't say he was a bust, but I wouldn't call him "great" in the perspective of past AU players.  He was solid, but did he live up to the 5 star ranking?  Of course, he was there during CTT..and CTT never really coached up the WRs.

Julio Jones and Ruben Randell at LSU wasn't worthy of the #1 player in the nation.

Randle is only a sophomore, and his QB has sucked his first two years. Not really his fault.

Julio is the exact opposite of a bust. Multiple All-SEC nominations, freshman All-America, and a 1st round draft pick are not bust stats.

Personally I think Julio Jones has been one of the biggest busts in many years.  Yes, he's had some good games.  But he's never lived up to the hype.  He can't catch the ball unless he's making some kind of circus catch.  The easy ones he misses.  Yet, he's still expected to be a 1st round draft pick.  Just don't see it.   WDE!!!

I just cant agree with this. I love Auburn but Jones was a great player while at Alabama and will be great I think in the NFL

Thank you. He is injury prone and inconsistent, but an absolute beast. I say this as a guy that can't stand bama, but there is a reason Julio holds records at uat

Archived