Auburn vs Ole Miss Game 1

Auburn returns to SEC action vs Ole Miss tonight (yeah it is Thursday) on ESPNU.

Derek Varandore 4-1 3.75 ERA vs Jr. LHP Matt Crouse 6-2 2.79 ERA

Let's start this series out right, need to get 2 of 3.  Tonight appears to be tough as Crouse is Ole Miss' ace statistically and he is  LHP.  Hopefully Varandore will come back strong.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is 20-16 and 7-8 in the SEC.  We have a 14 rpi so we should be safe to get into the NCAA tournament as long as we make the SEC tourney.  If the SEC tournament began today we'd be in.

*On a side note, I am watching my first game of the season on TV here in Guatemala.  War Eagle.  I'll post updates throughout the night and prob share some of my thoughts finally getting to see the guys play.

Simpson doubles to left, Alvord moves him over, and Andrews drives him in with a single in the 4 hole.

Auburn 2

Ole Miss 2

Auburn has men on 1st and 2nd.  Really seem to be seeing the pitcher well, lets go middle of the order.

The 4th passes with no runs.

Top 5th

Auburn 2

Ole Miss 2

*Alvord looked lost on that last at bat.  Everyone for Auburn seems to be seeing the ball well.  We're outhitting Ole Miss 6-2.  Gotta get some runs in though.

Auburn making Varandore work extra hard.  McElroy makes a throwing error, then Caldwell lets a pass ball by.  Auburn still gets out of the inning unscathed.

I'm not sure the official count but thats 4 potential errors on us. 2 dropped fly balls on Andrews and then these two.  Come on Tigers!!

Auburn making Varandore work extra hard.  McElroy makes a throwing error, then Caldwell lets a pass ball by.  Auburn still gets out of the inning unscathed.

I'm not sure the official count but thats 4 potential errors on us. 2 dropped fly balls on Andrews and then these two.  Come on Tigers!!

The errors are killing us.  :banghead:

As much as our program has improved in other aspect under coach P. fielding is definitely not one of them! We continue to make so many errors especially in SEC play

Gamache gets a bunt single (love this guy) and steals 2nd.  Beisner and Patterson leave him on 2nd.  I had absolutely no hope that Patterson would come through there.  In clutch situations we can never get him to come through (this year at least).

Top 7th

Auburn 2

Ole Miss 2

Varandore is at 90 pitches, Ole Miss pitcher at 110.  Ole Miss has a better bullpen than us though.

If Auburn were getting lots of runs across the plate it wouldn't be so bad. But with the shaky bullpen,and quieter bats this season, Auburn needs to do as much defensively as they can.

New pitcher Ethan Wallen, and first pitch is hit sharply. Ole Miss now has a runner on 1st.

Come on Ethan!

Caught a break there, Andrews misplayed another fly ball, 1 run scores, but runner on 2nd rounds 3rd and is picked off.  (questionable call), auburn gets out of the inning with only 1 run scored.

Bottom of the 7th

Ole Miss 3

Auburn 2

*Our fielding is simply pathetic and frustrating.  Andrews has no range in LF (although I like him the lineup).  4 errors in an SEC game will get you killed.

Archived