2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So JJ is voted Mr. Football, and al.com immediately feels the need to publish an article with reasons why Stewart should have won instead, complete with readers' poll on who they think should have won the award. :no:

but I believe you're wrong in the assessment of JJ being a Jason Campbell.

WTF is wrong with being a Jason Campbell? Campbell was a top recruit on a national scale, quarterbacked an undefeated SEC team, and was a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Jeremy Johnson is a good player...but lets not pretend like he's some generational talent at QB.

So JJ is voted Mr. Football, and al.com immediately feels the need to publish an article with reasons why Stewart should have won instead, complete with readers' poll on who they think should have won the award. :no:

Yeah... :puke1: How else is there to take it really? Maybe the single most obvious bias case in some time, since at least 2-3 days ago! :pcprobs:

He will not be better than Cam. Period. Cam Newton has more physical talent than anyone that has ever played the position. The only guy close to him is John Elway. Cam is LeBron James. Every game he plays, he's the most talented guy on the field. Even RG3 or Kaepernick aren't in his league from a tools standpoint. I'm excited about Johnson, but he won't be better than Cam. That's a pipe dream. If he ends up at the Jason Campbell level, that's a raging success.

Wow, now I love Cam, but I believe you're wrong in the assessment of JJ being a Jason Campbell. And COMPLETELY wrong in a comparison of Cam to Elway. Elway??? Really??? Where the heck did that come from?

Now if you had said Randall Cunningham I would have agreed. IMO Cam is a bigger, stronger version of Randall Cunningham.

but I believe you're wrong in the assessment of JJ being a Jason Campbell.

WTF is wrong with being a Jason Campbell? Campbell was a top recruit on a national scale, quarterbacked an undefeated SEC team, and was a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Jeremy Johnson is a good player...but lets not pretend like he's some generational talent at QB.

I just think JJ is better on his feet than Jason was...chill.

I agree that JJ will be red shirted but I also believe that by the time he leaves Auburn he will at least be a first round draft pick. I believe this due to his size and his arm strength. He will gain some weight and strength-6'-6" about 245lbs-I would say. He is the best spread option qb in this years class in my opinion.

JJ said he can throw the ball 70 yards so we will need some fast WR;s that can run the 70.

That's cool and all but I've yet to see a QB that can consistently throw an accurate pass 70 yards down the field. Just because you can chuck it down there don't mean it'll be catchable...

No threadjack intended, but since we're talking about arm strength... I was pretty impressed with Nick Marshall's arm strength too. There is one place in his video where he is evading the rush and about to be sacked and throws a ball about 60 yards while backpedaling and off his back foot! Reminded me a little of Pat Washington's legendary arm strength. They said he could throw it the length of the field back in the day ;D

No threadjack intended, but since we're talking about arm strength... I was pretty impressed with Nick Marshall's arm strength too. There is one place in his video where he is evading the rush and about to be sacked and throws a ball about 60 yards while backpedaling and off his back foot! Reminded me a little of Pat Washington's legendary arm strength. They said he could throw it the length of the field back in the day ;D

Interesting story...when Bo Jackson came in as a freshman. Washington who said he had heard a lot about Bo, asked him what he could do that was special. Bo half jokingly said I can throw a baseball over the centerfield fence from home plate. Bo asked, can you do that? So they went to Plainsman park on the 1st try Bo did indeed throw a baseball over the centerfield fence and according to Washington he made it look easy. Washington never could even get the ball to the fence in the air.

BV: I've heard variations of that story. The version I heard involved both Bo and Pat sitting at Sewell arguing about who could throw a football further and they ended up out on the old baseball field throwing footballs from the centerfield fence toward home plate. As legend has it, Washington's ball hit out around the mound, while Bo's supposedly hit the backstop. The only reason this story (that Bo threw a football what would be over 100 yards) is believable is there is also a story that Bo threw a football from one end zone to the other while at Auburn. There's another rumor that Bo was the only man to hit the New Orleans Saints' Superdome scoreboard, suspended from its roof since its construction in 1975. Supposedly in his rookie NFL season Bo casually picked up a ball from the ball bag, threw it, and hit it on his first try.

I remember Bo winning the Big Buck Contest (celebrity hunting event for charity). shortly after he went pro. A bama fan told me he probably run it down and cut it's throat. Don't know???

BV: I've heard variations of that story. The version I heard involved both Bo and Pat sitting at Sewell arguing about who could throw a football further and they ended up out on the old baseball field throwing footballs from the centerfield fence toward home plate. As legend has it, Washington's ball hit out around the mound, while Bo's supposedly hit the backstop. The only reason this story (that Bo threw a football what would be over 100 yards) is believable is there is also a story that Bo threw a football from one end zone to the other while at Auburn. There's another rumor that Bo was the only man to hit the New Orleans Saints' Superdome scoreboard, suspended from its roof since its construction in 1975. Supposedly in his rookie NFL season Bo casually picked up a ball from the ball bag, threw it, and hit it on his first try.

Bo hit that SuperDome scoreboard at the Sugar Bowl when he was a sophomore @ Auburn. It was written up as the topic opf the sports editorial of the Times Picayune. I read the story being at the game. The sports editor who had heard so much about Bo said he wanted to do an exclusive story on him and said they met at midfield. He said that as soon as he introduced himself to Bo that Bo asked how high that scoreboard was. The sports editor said he didn't know but it had never been hit before. He wrote that Bo casually leaned over and seemingly with efforltess ease flipped the ball toward the scoreboard over head. He said based on the way the ball richoceted off the scoreboard it would've hit it even if it was another 50 feet higher.

Interesting story...when Bo Jackson came in as a freshman. Washington who said he had heard a lot about Bo, asked him what he could do that was special. Bo half jokingly said I can throw a baseball over the centerfield fence from home plate. Bo asked, can you do that? So they went to Plainsman park on the 1st try Bo did indeed throw a baseball over the centerfield fence and according to Washington he made it look easy. Washington never could even get the ball to the fence in the air.

Well of course Bo is credited with "THE throw" in an actual MLB game. KC v Seattle, 1989,Bo throws from the left field fence in the air to home plate, the ball never touches the ground and Harold Reynolds is out at the plate.

Bo Jackson "THE Throw"

And there was "The Throw." That deserves its own section. On June 5, 1989, the Royals were playing at Seattle. It was the 10th inning, score was tied 3-3, Harold Reynolds was on first base when Scott Bradley rifled a double to left field. Reynolds was running on the pitch, so it was obvious he would score the winning run. He rounded third, headed for home and prepared to have his teammates mob him when he saw his teammate Darnell Coles pumping his arms, the baseball signal for "SLIDE!"

Reynolds thought: "Slide? Are you kidding me?" So, he was about to launch into what he called "a courtesy slide" when he saw that Kansas City catcher Bob Boone had the ball. Boone tagged him. In the clubhouse afterward, Reynolds would watch the play again and again and again, and never figure out exactly what happened.

What happened was this ... Bo Jackson had gotten the ball and made a flatfooted throw of 300 feet in the air. It was a perfect strike. It was so impossible, so ridiculous, so absurd that no umpire was on the spot to make the call. Home-plate umpire Larry Young finally came to his senses and made a fist -- Reynolds was out.

"Now I've seen it all," Scott Bradley would say. "This is not a normal guy," George Brett would say. "That was just a supernatural, unbelievable play," Seattle manager Jim Lefebve would say. "I just caught the ball, turned and threw," Bo grumbled. "End of story. ... It's nothing to brag about. Don't try to make a big issue out of it."

legless, getting back to comparison, I didn't compare Cam to Elway, I said he's the most physically gifted QB in the history of the game, and the only guy with the physical gifts to rival him is John Elway. The playing styles were obviously different, but Elway is the only guy with the size/arm strength/speed to rival the total package that Cam presents.

My comparison is LeBron James. Not Elway. LeBron has more physical tools than any basketball player in my lifetime, which includes Jordan, Magic, Kareem, etc. He's bigger than Karl Malone with the quickness to switch onto Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo (which he's done late in games). LeBron probably won't be the best basketball player of all time, and Cam probably won't be the best QB of all time. But they are the most gifted. Even if MJ was playing, LeBron would show up every night and know that he's more talented than every guy on the court. Instinct and preparation and all sorts of other stuff impacts performance, but he's more talented. Cam is the same way.

Jeremy Johnson may be a great QB, but unless he gains weight, gets much much faster, and gains arm strength, he's not going to be Cam. Cam Newton literally changed NFL football in one season. Literally. Running QBs were either a novelty (Cunningham, Vick) or taught not to run as much (Young, Elway, Culpepper, etc.). After Cam? Multiple teams are building their offenses around the capabilities of big running QBs. The difference? Cam is still the biggest, most durable running QB (so he can't accurately compare to Cunningham or Vick or even Young), and he's most skilled combination of all the stuff a QB needs (arm strength, pocket awareness, accuracy). He's different.

Every RB Auburn signed after Bo wasn't going to be the next Bo. There have been maybe three guys with his freakish athleticism (Hersch, Bo, and maaaybe Peterson). Every QB that Auburn signs is NOT going to be the next Cam. Set your sights lower because a guy like that comes around once or twice in your life.

And this conversation is about Johnson's ceiling. legless says its Cam Newton. I disagreed. As I said, if he's talked about on Jason Campbell's level, I'll take it right now.

Yeah... :puke1: How else is there to take it really? Maybe the single most obvious bias case in some time, since at least 2-3 days ago! :pcprobs:

If you're referring to the story I posted, I disagree. That was a story about how two kids should've won the award, and about how both kids admired the other so much that they expected the other to win it. It was about mutual respect and friendship.

If you're referring to the story I posted, I disagree. That was a story about how two kids should've won the award, and about how both kids admired the other so much that they expected the other to win it. It was about mutual respect and friendship.

No, it was another article. My best guess is the sportswriters in the state got blasted for picking the Auburn guy over the bama guy.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/does_jeremy_johnson_deserve_to.html

No, it was another article. My best guess is the sportswriters in the state got blasted for picking the Auburn guy over the bama guy.

http://www.al.com/sp...deserve_to.html

Ah -- then I agree. Funny how two different reporters can see the same 'facts' and report them totally differently.

:laugh: We can get a thread, involving anything, off topic with any message board anywhere.

I think JJ will be a legend AU QB before his days are over. I am as excited about him as any player in this class or currently on our team. Like I have said before, I only saw him twice this season. Back to back weeks. He was under center. He was in the shotgun. He threw a very accurate ball in the pocket. He threw an accurate ball while on the move. Very elusive running the ball in the open field. Good speed. If he was a baseball player, I would rate him a five tool player. This guy is the real deal.

Archived