2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

IMO he will be a good QB, will he be great? IDK because IMO KF crushed anything JJ did in highschool, so I will keep my predictions to myself until after I see how he matures in the system, and learns the playbook.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one Cam Newton. You won't see that again, especially here. No way you get two once in a generation players at the same school that close in time. Cam is a different breed. I think Jeremy will have a career similar to Dameyune Craig or Jason Campbell. I think he'll be really successful, get us to a BCS game at some point and contend for some major awards, maybe even the Heisman. But we probably need to temper expectations if anybody thinks he's the next Cam Newton.

There is one Cam Newton. You won't see that again, especially here. No way you get two once in a generation players at the same school that close in time. Cam is a different breed. I think Jeremy will have a career similar to Dameyune Craig or Jason Campbell. I think he'll be really successful, get us to a BCS game at some point and contend for some major awards, maybe even the Heisman. But we probably need to temper expectations if anybody thinks he's the next Cam Newton.

^^^ THIS

I personally feel like part of the dislike of KF is because he came right after Cam and everyone just expected him to tote the load. We should hope for each of the players to be the best them they can be, not some super star from before because we will never get that. I hope that KF is the best he can be, and JJ is the best he can be. Will they be as good as Cam? I doubt it, but I want them to maximize THEIR potential.

Nobody knows for sure. I have seen JJ play since grade school - his ceiling is so high...much higher than most QBs in this cIass...I doubt if he will be as exiting a player or have a the personality of Cam, but his leadership qualities will be a great benefit on the plains. His talent as a passer may be better than cam but his power and elusiveness will never touch number 2 IMO.

IMO he will be a good QB, will he be great? IDK because IMO KF crushed anything JJ did in highschool, so I will keep my predictions to myself until after I see how he matures in the system, and learns the playbook.

KF's level of competition was much, much weaker than what JJ has competed against. But you are correct that there is no way to know how good JJ will be.

wde

Even if KF played against the best competition in Arkansas, which I dont think he did, it wouldn't compare to 6A HS football in Alabama...no comparison! Arkansas HS football ia a lot like Tennessee's and not known for being all that good. That said, I would love for KF to morph into the QB we all had hopes that he would be but, to be honest, will have to see that happen to believe it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he changed positions at some point.

JJ - Like his size and his skills. There is no doubt JJ will be developed by Gus. I really hope he will be a vocal leader when his time comes because we have not had a true leader in the QB ranks for years other than Cam's one year. I think about Tubs passing on Phillip Rivers years ago because of his throwing motion and all the QB challenges we had while Rivers lit it up at NC State and was a true LEADER. I am thrilled to have JJ on the plains.

Marshall - If Gus turns Marshall into a star QB we will have 4* & 5* QBs lining up to come to Auburn behind JJ. This will help WR recruiting as well.

KF - He may have some new life under Gus. I have read that KF will be more productive in Gus's system with wider throwing lanes. My concern is these wider lanes don't make him more accurate. KF was so far off target can something like this be fixed to the point of being CONSISTENTLY on target ? I do know he is a great kid and hope he gets to be involved and contribute in some capacity.

War Eagle !

Here's hoping the OL turns it up a notch and lives up to the star ratings, because if the OL is top notch like in 2010, whoever is at QB will be able to mature as a QB just as Cam did. The OL in 2010 really kept the O moving early in the season while Cam was developing as a passer and the run blocking was superb imo.

Give the line a break. They had four different people get their first start in the SEC last season. The 2010 team had played 4 guys who had played together for 2 seasons straight and some more than that. Most of those recruits landed in the 2011 and 2012 classes so it is going to be another year. So calm down expect a few more growing pains and in another year you can get grumpy if they aren't performing.

Give the line a break. They had four different people get their first start in the SEC last season. The 2010 team had played 4 guys who had played together for 2 seasons straight and some more than that. Most of those recruits landed in the 2011 and 2012 classes so it is going to be another year. So calm down expect a few more growing pains and in another year you can get grumpy if they aren't performing.

I don't think he was too harsh on the line from '11 and '12, just complimentary of the '10 line.....and exactly right. The line in '11 and '12 were poor, regardless of the reasons, injuries, youth....... I think new coaches and expectations will be a big help for a clean start.

The problem with the line the past two years is that they failed to show IMPROVEMENT. Plus a big reason our OL was so inexperienced this past year was due to Chizik being too shortsighted in '11 and starting Greene and Cooper. One rebuilding year is acceptable. Chizik had his year of getting a free pass. Remember, before the 2011 season we thought we would be contending for the SEC in 2012.

JJ - Like his size and his skills. There is no doubt JJ will be developed by Gus. I really hope he will be a vocal leader when his time comes because we have not had a true leader in the QB ranks for years other than Cam's one year. I think about Tubs passing on Phillip Rivers years ago because of his throwing motion and all the QB challenges we had while Rivers lit it up at NC State and was a true LEADER. I am thrilled to have JJ on the plains.

War Eagle !

At least Tuberville offered Rivers a scholarship, albiet as a tight end. No other team in the SEC or area teams like Ga. Tech and FSU even offered him. Hard to blame Tuberville for that one, everybody else missed worse then he did.

The problem with the line the past two years is that they failed to show IMPROVEMENT. Plus a big reason our OL was so inexperienced this past year was due to Chizik being too shortsighted in '11 and starting Greene and Cooper. One rebuilding year is acceptable. Chizik had his year of getting a free pass. Remember, before the 2011 season we thought we would be contending for the SEC in 2012.

t

Yes, there is enough game time on these OL players now they dont need a "break". It's time to do this thing this year and I think they will too.

War Eagle !

At least Tuberville offered Rivers a scholarship, albiet as a tight end. No other team in the SEC or area teams like Ga. Tech and FSU even offered him. Hard to blame Tuberville for that one, everybody else missed worse then he did.

Also, it came down to getting one the THE most coveted HS QBs in the country (Jason Campbell) or a project from AL (Rivers). Tuberville would have been stupid (not to mentioned vilified by AU fans) not to get Campbell and all in all it worked out pretty well for us in 2004. Other than putting up numbers what has Rivers ever done in terms of winning or leading his team to any type of championship (especially in college)? Rivers turned out to be a good college QB, but I will argue so did Jason Campbell. Using Rivers as an example of a recruiting miss by AU is one of the dumbest examples I see on AU message boards. It was a no brainer at the time.

wde

That was my point. They have potential/talent and if they mature like the 2010 line did any of the QBs can be good in Malzahn's O. I personally think we have more/better OL talent than the 2010 group and I look forward to seeing them develop and dominate, which I believe they will. Last year's OL shortages weren't the players' fault they were all young, but the coaches for not filling in the gaps with some solid jucos ala Mosely-the guy was a big help his two years on the Plains.

P.S. I think it is you that needs to calm down a bit. :-\

War Eagle !

Also, it came down to getting one the THE most coveted HS QBs in the country (Jason Campbell) or a project from AL (Rivers). Tuberville would have been stupid (not to mentioned vilified by AU fans) not to get Campbell and all in all it worked out pretty well for us in 2004. Other than putting up numbers what has Rivers ever done in terms of winning or leading his team to any type of championship (especially in college)? Rivers turned out to be a good college QB, but I will argue so did Jason Campbell. Using Rivers as an example of a recruiting miss by AU is one of the dumbest examples I see on AU message boards. It was a no brainer at the time.

wde

Its also worth noting A LOT of colleges missed on Phillip Rivers NOT just Auburn....as he limited opportunities to play QB collegiately

War Eagle !

wde

Its also worth noting A LOT of colleges missed on Phillip Rivers NOT just Auburn....as he limited opportunities to play QB collegiately

Didn't Mark Richt recruit Cam as a TE ?

That was my point. They have potential/talent and if they mature like the 2010 line did any of the QBs can be good in Malzahn's O. I personally think we have more/better OL talent than the 2010 group and I look forward to seeing them develop and dominate, which I believe they will. Last year's OL shortages weren't the players' fault they were all young, but the coaches for not filling in the gaps with some solid jucos ala Mosely-the guy was a big help his two years on the Plains.

P.S. I think it is you that needs to calm down a bit. :-\

that 2010 group came in ready to play, almost all started early... a new S&C coach will help in the development, i am sure yox lovers will disagree and will mention a random guy from year to year, but facts are facts, IMO.

War Eagle !

wde

He did indeed. Glad he never took that chance.

• 3 weeks later...

War Eagle !

wde

He did indeed. Glad he never took that chance.

so did tubs and spurrier. tubs told him kodi burns was our future qb.

Archived