Blakely

I said it on the other board but will say it here also.  I would LOVE to have this guy at AU.  He was by far the RB I wanted most last season.  Was last years version of Keith Marshall.  The only negative though is that he will have to sit out a year because he enrolled early at UF.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2011/05/10/freshman-rb-mike-blakely-to-leave-florida-before-playing-a-single-game/

Blakely and McRoy will have to sit out the upcoming season in order to change schools, even though Florida has not played a game during their time at the school. Signing a letter of intent binds them to NCAA transfer rules.

Blakely was an all-America running back as a high school senior last season. Rivals.com rated him the country’s No. 6 player at his position.

He was recruited mainly by former coach Urban Meyer and his staff, but upheld his commitment to the Gators after Meyer resigned in December and Muschamp took over Jan. 1.

Personally, I do not care one way or the other whether we decide to let him come to AU or not. I would guess we are his number 1 choice by far, but he had that chance. We went after him hard, we put him as a priority over others, and in the end we got burned. Yeah, he is probably a better back than Mason, I think that is pretty likely. And yeah, he could help the team as we are very thin at RB. However, he had his chance and he knew all this a long time ago and put us in a bad position anyway. So he can go play at some smaller school like SF where his chances of making it to the NFL are about 95% less than playing at Running Back U. Not to mention playing huge games that mean something.

I will take him if he kisses a lot of tail and goes the extra 50 miles (1 isn't enough) to make up for it. Otherwise, who cares? We have Dyer and Omac with what is likely a quality backup in Mason and we will likely sign one of the best if not the best back in the country this year. If he has to sit a year, he will probably be competing with a better back straight out of high school who hasn't been sitting a year in 2012.

After selling out our coaches in the end it did not work out in FL ! You just never know. Wish Mike well, but wow !

War Eagle !

Didn't he kinda let his parents sway him? If so, lesson learned. You gotta do what is right for you. Wish him all the best and hope everything works out good for the guy.

I think we need one more RB back there, so I'd be more than happy to get MB

Easybake,  that picture on your post of the guy kicking the bear is hilarious!!!  Would love to know where you got it, and with your permission, send it to my friends.

WDE!

Easybake,  that picture on your post of the guy kicking the bear is hilarious!!!   Would love to know where you got it, and with your permission, send it to my friends.

WDE!

If only I could remember  :'( I just google funny gifs and this one showed up at some point. That'd be your best bet. You can find lots of funny ones. Sorry I'm no help!

WDE!

Easybake,  that picture on your post of the guy kicking the bear is hilarious!!!   Would love to know where you got it, and with your permission, send it to my friends.

WDE!

http://philtapia.com/homosexual/1303685970507.gif

Kid made a mistake.  For a group that is happy to have Aubrey Phillips, ya'll sure aren't being very understanding of this 18 or so year old.  He was a fantastic talent a year ago and we wanted him then.  His mistake does not change that.  If he fits as an Auburn man, I say get him here

ASAP.

Kid made a mistake.  For a group that is happy to have Aubrey Phillips, ya'll sure aren't being very understanding of this 18 or so year old.  He was a fantastic talent a year ago and we wanted him then.  His mistake does not change that.  If he fits as an Auburn man, I say get him here

ASAP.

The two situations are very different from each other.

In what way?

In the way blakely handled his initial recruiting with these coaches.  Phillips left for different reasons and on good terms with the understanding he could come back under certain conditions.  I think so far he has lived up to them but he is still a walk on and may remain one for awhile.  While blakely never was at auburn the way he handled his business pretty much slammed the door shut for him here.

In what way?

In the way blakely handled his initial recruiting with these coaches.  Phillips left for different reasons and on good terms with the understanding he could come back under certain conditions.  I think so far he has lived up to them but he is still a walk on and may remain one for awhile.  While blakely never was at auburn the way he handled his business pretty much slammed the door shut for him here.

i dont think he was talking about him coming back from medical leave. he was talking about how he shuned auburn and signed with fsu then came crawling back when he didnt like the coaches at fsu.

From what I heard, during his recruiting, he was a great kid and very bright.  If he wants to sit out a year and come here, I would cut him the same slack you cut other guys who changed their minds toward Auburn at the end.

As far as I know Blakely is still the same 5* he was last year and has done nothing while at UF that indicates any character problems.    Kids make their final decision for a number of reasons and sometimes do what is not in their best interest in order to please others who have influence over their lives.  I don't recall seeing anything I would trust indicating that Blakely made derogatory comments about AU or our coaches. Parents are known to shoot their mouths off but I don't hold the kids responsible for that.    I would not give up on him.

In what way?

In the way blakely handled his initial recruiting with these coaches. Phillips left for different reasons and on good terms with the understanding he could come back under certain conditions. I think so far he has lived up to them but he is still a walk on and may remain one for awhile. While blakely never was at auburn the way he handled his business pretty much slammed the door shut for him here.

i dont think he was talking about him coming back from medical leave. he was talking about how he shuned auburn and signed with fsu then came crawling back when he didnt like the coaches at fsu.

My mistake I went automatically back to the last time phillips left. Then I would say our situation in 09 needing talent and being able to get it is very different from now.  We are in a position to be more selective now and have no need to take a chance on a guy that may be less than reliable.  

With all things considered in this topic, does that mean we take Kouandjio, Calloway, and Hart when they decide bama wasn't the place for them?

:zapbama:

With all things considered in this topic, does that mean we take Kouandjio, Calloway, and Hart when they decide bama wasn't the place for them?

Just for the sake of conversation, I wouldn't want them.  We don't need any more meddling parents.  Especially "Peaches".

Case by case. 

I feel sorry for these guys being railroaded by people who don't have their best interests in mind.

Can you imagine being told that you were not welcome on The Plains?  Hell on Earth!  Come on Man!  Have some compassion! ;-)

Archived