2013 4* LB Trey Johnson

Tiger Growlin

Article on 247 saying he plans to enroll early. I think he could compete for PT immediately.

If he enrolls early I think it's a foregone conclusion that he will play early. He probably won't start, but he'll play.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that he must take classes this summer in order to graduate early. Johnson also says he may visit bama this summer.

I thought I read somewhere that after the A Day game, he said he was finished with visits. I may be confusing this with something from DL.

Guest jrljr

Only thing that bothers me is TJ relationship with Roof. Roof was a big deal at Central Gwinnett when he played there and TJ loves him.

Only thing that bothers me is TJ relationship with Roof. Roof was a big deal at Central Gwinnett when he played there and TJ loves him.

True, but we weathered that storm with a great hire in CBV, and have an exceptionally strong position recruiter in CTT. I agree with Hoke that Trey is one of our strongest commits and being so highly ranked helps others defensive recruits mindset. Our defensive class is pretty top notch at the moment...only getting stronger.

I'm not too worried with the amount of recruiting he's been doing for us.

Somehow I get the feeling that the coach might be getting pressure from somewhere about persuading Johnson to not be so committed to Auburn...all I've seen out of the kid himself suggests that he is not only solid but, as you guys have been mentioning, one of the leaders of the class. And he's that type of athlete, too, the kind who other great athletes gravitate toward. As evidenced from some tweets he mad following A-day, he isn't some wide eyed recruit basking in the new found glory of being a major college football prospect, he's a man amongst boys champing at the bit to get to the Plains and start making things happen on the field. And he wants more talent all around him.

I'm not worried at all.

Yeah Red, this is definitely a case where you have to read between the lines.  Something is up with the coach, and there is probably some unwelcome pressure on Trey.

We read lots of negative things about "mentors" and "street agents" influencing a kid's college choice, but why do high school coaches get a pass in all this?  Is their influence more welcome or more appropriate than a Will Lyles type character?  I can't wait for the day when adults start protecting these kids rather than exploiting them.

Guest jrljr

Agree 100%, like I said "That's the only thing that bothers me." I believe he is an Auburn man. He does think the world of Roof and I don't blame him. Roof sorta mentored the kid so there has to be some amount of loyalty to the man. I don't think he flips though.

Agree 100%, like I said "That's the only thing that bothers me." I believe he is an Auburn man. He does think the world of Roof and I don't blame him. Roof sorta mentored the kid so there has to be some amount of loyalty to the man. I don't think he flips though.

And see, I never thought Roof was a bad coach. He has done very well at other coaching stops, and he's pretty well respected in the coaching world (much as the Penn State job is not what it used to be due to the scandal, he still got a job at a prestigious Big Ten school right after being let go from Auburn). That he would develop such a relationship with a player like that is not at all unexpected.

I read a rivals article where his high school coach was talking to the USC writer and told them that Trey had serious interest in them and Miami bc of their LB tradition. The coach said that at first Trey wanted to get the recruiting process over and committed to us because of his relationship with Roof. He said when Roof left, Trey realized this was a business and wanted to make sure hes making the right decision for his future. Said Trey was visiting unofficially to USC this summer and then would take an official this Fall. Idk whats up but his coach sure doesn't seem to be on Treys side here..... seems to be pushing him towards USCw

I read a rivals article where his high school coach was talking to the USC writer and told them that Trey had serious interest in them and Miami bc of their LB tradition. The coach said that at first Trey wanted to get the recruiting process over and committed to us because of his relationship with Roof. He said when Roof left, Trey realized this was a business and wanted to make sure hes making the right decision for his future. Said Trey was visiting unofficially to USC this summer and then would take an official this Fall. Idk whats up but his coach sure doesn't seem to be on Treys side here..... seems to be pushing him towards USCw

I think the defensive product we put on the field this Fall will go a LONG way towards suring up this recruiting class. We've got some very highly rated prospects who are bound to be getting pressure from all angles... If we can show that CBVG is putting a quality defensive unit on the field, I think we sign one of our top all-time defensive recruiting classes.

Trey has been invited to The Opening at Nike headquarters in Oregon according to Brian Matthews. This is an invitation only football camp given to the top performers at regional Nike football camps all  across the country.

Guest EagleDamnWar

Auburn LB coach Tommy Thigpen visited trey Johnson today.  Also in attendance was Miami FL LB coach Michael Barrow, an assistant from Notre Dame, and an assistant from Missouri.

"Central coach Todd Wofford says USC, Alabama, and Miami are starting to recruit Trey harder."

"There's a 2015 RB out here named Jonathan Hawkins who may be a stud in the future. Don't be surprised if Auburn verbally offers sooner than later.". Auburn ended up offering him.

"Trey has had a solid first day. Some good pursuits and physical play inside, good first day of practice."

"Trey just knocked some dude's helmet off during one on one's. It was nasty.

Coach Thigpen thoroughly enjoyed it."

"Spoke with Trey after practice, he said he's as solid to Auburn today as the day he committed. Said he will visit USC, Miami, Penn State next fall, in addition to Auburn. Johnson said he has a great relationship with coach Thigpen and loves the defensive class Auburn is putting together with Dee Liner, Carl Lawson, Cameron Toney and Kamryn Melton."

"Talked to Jonathan after practice, he said he's 5'10, 203 pounds. So, I wasn't far off at 5'11, 195-200."

"Trey is a perfect inside linebacker. He's big and very physical, but also has the speed to get to the sideline from the middle. Johnson will play wherever he goes, as a true freshman"

"Johnson also told me his goal for the 2012 season is "over 200 tackles". He's notched over 300 total tackles the last two years."

Auburn LB coach Tommy Thigpen visited trey Johnson today.  Also in attendance was Miami FL LB coach Michael Barrow, an assistant from Notre Dame, and an assistant from Missouri.

"Central coach Todd Wofford says USC, Alabama, and Miami are starting to recruit Trey harder."

"There's a 2015 RB out here named Jonathan Hawkins who may be a stud in the future. Don't be surprised if Auburn verbally offers sooner than later.". Auburn ended up offering him.

"Trey has had a solid first day. Some good pursuits and physical play inside, good first day of practice."

"Trey just knocked some dude's helmet off during one on one's. It was nasty.

Coach Thigpen thoroughly enjoyed it."

"Spoke with Trey after practice, he said he's as solid to Auburn today as the day he committed. Said he will visit USC, Miami, Penn State next fall, in addition to Auburn. Johnson said he has a great relationship with coach Thigpen and loves the defensive class Auburn is putting together with Dee Liner, Carl Lawson, Cameron Toney and Kamryn Melton."

"Talked to Jonathan after practice, he said he's 5'10, 203 pounds. So, I wasn't far off at 5'11, 195-200."

"Trey is a perfect inside linebacker. He's big and very physical, but also has the speed to get to the sideline from the middle. Johnson will play wherever he goes, as a true freshman"

"Johnson also told me his goal for the 2012 season is "over 200 tackles". He's notched over 300 total tackles the last two years."

Prep Star Magazine has Trey Johnson as our top commit so far and a five star prospect. He checks in at #39, Liner at #54, Lawson at #80, and Earnest Robinson at #84. They are all members of Prep Star's "Dream Team."

Prep Star was once a recruiting giant until Rivals, Scout, and etc., started becoming internet recruiting stars in the last 10 years.

My son was an invited walk on at Miami a year ago and I got to spend somne time with Mike Barrow.  I liked the guy, but the campus doesn't really look like a campus.  Just a bunch of random buildings. 

I think Trey Johnson will earn his 5*.

I don't really care about the fifth star so long as he comes to Auburn...dude is a beast regardless of what he's rated.

I don't really care about the fifth star so long as he comes to Auburn...dude is a beast regardless of what he's rated.

Honestly is that how you feel. Be completely honest now. :tease:;)

Trey was a beast when he was a Soph in HS. He is special.

Archived