2013 4* LB Trey Johnson

Tiger Growlin

Coach Dye, mentioned in his weekly column he writes for ITAT, that Auburn linebacker play concerns him. He recalled in 1988 that Auburn did not have a superstar LB and you do not need one to have a great defense. He talked about how undersized Quentin Riggins was for an SEC linebacker that year and how great he played. The 1988 defense is still the best Auburn defense that i have ever seen.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach Dye, mentioned in his weekly column he writes for ITAT, that Auburn linebacker play concerns him. He recalled in 1988 that Auburn did not have a superstar LB and you do not need one to have a great defense. He talked about how undersized Quentin Riggins was for an SEC linebacker that year and how great he played. The 1988 defense is still the best Auburn defense that i have ever seen.

Seriously? Better than '04? I know I was only 10 @ that time, but I find it hard to believe the '88 D was better than the '04 D.

Seriously? Better than '04? I know I was only 10 @ that time, but I find it hard to believe the '88 D was better than the '04 D.

Believe it cuz it was.

I think you are talking about the 1983 team that went 11-1 and beat Michigan 9-7 in the 1984 Sugar Bowl. That team gave up 15.5 points a game. The 1984 team lost 4 games and gave up 19.6 points a game. That great D in 1988 gave up a whopping 7.7 points a game! Totally an awesome display of defense. Tracy Rocker won the Outland and Lombardi Trophies for that season.

Apparently we made the top 10 for Trey, which is awesome. Anything else noteworthy from what he had to say today regarding AU and perhaps where they stand and if/when he'll visit next? TIA

:we:

Apparently we made the top 10 for Trey, which is awesome. Anything else noteworthy from what he had to say today regarding AU and perhaps where they stand and if/when he'll visit next? TIA

He is planning to visit with his parents for the Utah State game. He likes everything about AU. He's keeping an eye on a bunch of schools including Clemson, where his mom graduated. He and Roof have become close.

He is planning to visit with his parents for the Utah State game. He likes everything about AU. He's keeping an eye on a bunch of schools including Clemson, where his mom graduated. He and Roof have become close.

AUsome - thank you for the scoop TG.  :we:

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing rumors on tos trey is ready to commit and wants his dads approval, so they are visiting this weekend with a commitment likely coming after. Any word on this mods?

Good call to offset the impact of losing Geno Smith to the Turds next week (I'm just speculating on that and have absolutely no basis whatsoever for both statements).

Chad Simmons hinted at a commit from a bigtime 2013 player with over 20 offers to a team in the south in the very near future.... then Laura McKeeman mentioned that Trey was visiting this weekend, and told me he could commit as soon as this weekend...

I've heard others comment on Trey being very close to committing, and he's been in AU a lot this summer.  I'd say it's a good bet.  He's going to be one of the top players in GA next year.

Hearing rumors on tos trey is ready to commit and wants his dads approval, so they are visiting this weekend with a commitment likely coming after. Any word on this mods?

;)

;)

If we can get him on board, we may have our annual "leader of the class" a year and a half before signing day.. Thats a long time for him to build relationships with some of the top guys in his class, especially in GA where 2013 seems to have the most top-end talent they've had in years.

Seems like he has his head on straight and seems to love Auburn (especially coach roof). Here's to hoping he pulls the trigger, and that Bigelow isn't far behind.

You just have to love the name Dee Liner! That is about as good as it gets. Come on down, Trey, we would love to have you in O and B.

Archived