Going to my first AU football game!!! From Iowa! Info needed!

WDEIowa

Hey all -

I am a die hard AU fan(from Iowa none the less).  I have lived in Iowa my whole life but have watched Auburn football since the 80's.  Anyhow, my wife and I are making the trip to the Plains for the Ole Miss game.  Does anyone have any recommendations for hotel accomodations?  I guess trying to book a hotel a month in advance was not wise.  Everything is either booked or 250$ per night.  Does anyone know of a decent place to stay that is somewhat on the cheap?  Just the 18 hour drive down there is going to be spendy, plus hotel, plus booze, plus my Auburn gear! 

Also, we are going to try to make the most out of our trip, and I would appreciate anything you guys recommend to do.  We are going to really take in the whole game day scene.  Any thoughts?  We are in Section 39...how bad of seats will they be?  I know it's near the endzone, but just curious. 

Our plan is to make 1 game per year, and since it's my first time I guess I need any help I can get haha.

Are there any other close towns that have hotels that we should consider?  Opelika had a couple, but the reviews were bad...Econo Lodge and the Travelodge.

Thanks in advance!  And  :we:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were not for the Interstate it probably would be an hour drive. But you have to consider game day traffic also! It gets jam packed everywhere so you best get a early jump if you want to experience the whole game day scene!

Hey all -

I am a die hard AU fan(from Iowa none the less).  I have lived in Iowa my whole life but have watched Auburn football since the 80's.  Anyhow, my wife and I are making the trip to the Plains for the Ole Miss game.  Does anyone have any recommendations for hotel accomodations?  I guess trying to book a hotel a month in advance was not wise.  Everything is either booked or 250$ per night.  Does anyone know of a decent place to stay that is somewhat on the cheap?  Just the 18 hour drive down there is going to be spendy, plus hotel, plus booze, plus my Auburn gear! 

Also, we are going to try to make the most out of our trip, and I would appreciate anything you guys recommend to do.  We are going to really take in the whole game day scene.  Any thoughts?  We are in Section 39...how bad of seats will they be?  I know it's near the endzone, but just curious. 

Our plan is to make 1 game per year, and since it's my first time I guess I need any help I can get haha.

Are there any other close towns that have hotels that we should consider?  Opelika had a couple, but the reviews were bad...Econo Lodge and the Travelodge.

Thanks in advance!  And  :we:

Get there early. Take in the tailgate scene, you can set up your own (which will be hard to do if you don't already have a spot roped off) or just walk around and be social. It's amazing how willing some people are to share some good food if you are just kind and social. Snag some lemonade from Toomer's and either before or after the game get get some Momma G's (the original, I swear it tastes better) and don't forget to get nachos. Be in the stadium at least 20 mins before kick-off to see the eagle.

Also, how should parking be handled?  Is there plenty of parking at the stadium?  What's it cost to park?  Or should I look elsewhere?  I will try to be there early too!

Also, how should parking be handled?  Is there plenty of parking at the stadium?  What's it cost to park?  Or should I look elsewhere?  I will try to be there early too!

You can find parking easy if you don't mind paying. Free parking can be found but it's more of a walk for sure and it's not easy unless you're early. Most parking is around $15-20

I agree with Montgomery as well.  I am in TN and have been down to a couple of games and stayed right at the interstate in Montgomery.  You can get a room for around $50.  It is beneficial to get an early start to the game though like pologuy said.

Go on Expedia.com and search for "Days Inn Shorter" in shorter Alabama. You will be 30 miles from the heart of Auburn just off the Interstate. If you book right now you can get rooms for $43 a night with the early booking bonus.

I work in Montgomery, live in Auburn.  It takes me about 35 mins exit to exit.  Once you get to Auburn....who cares how long it takes you, you're in Auburn.  Unfortunately, you will spend $250 per night everywhere in Auburn and most of them have 2 night minimum.

Gameday, get to Auburn EARLY, park and just go for a walk.  Go see the new arena, walk all around the stadium, go to Toomer's (while you still can see the trees), get your picture made in front of Samford Hall and the AUBURN UNIVERSITY sign.  DO NOT MISS TIGER WALK....whatever you do.  Walk around and meet people.  I am 100% confdent that if you walk up to ANY tailgate party, introduce yourself and say you drove down from Iowa to watch your 1st Auburn game at JHS, you and your crew will be rec'd like fAUmily and welcomed in for food and beverages.

If you fell in love with AU based on what you saw on TV, once you see it in person you might never leave!  

Side note, if you get a wild hair on Saturday night...the WAR EAGLE SUPPER CLUB is worth a visit. Will be a wild crowd and packed with thirsty college students.  

If possible get to Auburn on Friday to do all your shopping for AU gear and take in the sites. Leave all day Sat. for gameday experience, tailgateing, TigerWalk and just walking around meeting other AU fans tailgateing

Thanks for the advice guys.  Definitely needed.  We are checking into a hotel on friday and then doing some shopping.  Saturday is all about game day for us.  We will be down early and leaving late!

Going to try to get the Days Inn in shorter.  Awesome price!

Got my hotel booked for 38$ per night at Shorter Days Inn using Priceline's Name Your Price.  Hope it's a decent stay lol.

Tickets...done

Hotel...done

Rental Car - coming next

I work in Montgomery, live in Auburn.  It takes me about 35 mins exit to exit.  Once you get to Auburn....who cares how long it takes you, you're in Auburn.  Unfortunately, you will spend $250 per night everywhere in Auburn and most of them have 2 night minimum.

Gameday, get to Auburn EARLY, park and just go for a walk.  Go see the new arena, walk all around the stadium, go to Toomer's (while you still can see the trees), get your picture made in front of Samford Hall and the AUBURN UNIVERSITY sign.  DO NOT MISS TIGER WALK....whatever you do.  Walk around and meet people.  I am 100% confident that if you walk up to ANY tailgate party, introduce yourself and say you drove down from Iowa to watch your 1st Auburn game at JHS, you and your crew will be rec'd like fAUmily and welcomed in for food and beverages.

If you fell in love with AU based on what you saw on TV, once you see it in person you might never leave!  

Side note, if you get a wild hair on Saturday night...the WAR EAGLE SUPPER CLUB is worth a visit. Will be a wild crowd and packed with thirsty college students.  

I have some relatives in Cedar Rapids who do the same at least once a year.

Dansby has covered it all :bow:

Which interstate do you come down?  Valley at exit 77 off I-85 has a new HI Express and is about 20 - 30 minutes from Auburn.  No minimum, decent price.  LaGrange at exit 18 off I-85 is about 45 minutes and is in GA.  The team used to stay here the night before the game a few years back.  Several hotels to choose from.  I come down from Knoxville and have stayed in both places.

:believe:

Seems you have everything answered by now...My wife and I have Auburn Vs Florida game tickets and for the first time we will be sitting on the AUBURN side!!!! (YIPPPPIE)...we have been to several games but could never get tickets on AUBURN side...always on the Vistor's side....(we had great times though, even the vistors enjoyed our company...LOL!!!)....But do go early on...watch the TIGER WALK...YELL your lungs out..(no problem being horse at work..!!!)....Early into the stadium and watch the Eagle Flight...(best in Football WORLD)....Get your gear from several stores around the campus, the campus store also has good gear (or did 4 years ago)....Enjoy your experiense and WELCOME TO AUBURN!!!!!

:wedance:

Hotel: Montgomery is the best bet.

Shopping: Make sure you go to J&M Bookstore, TigerRags, Anders, Haley Center Bookstore, etc. All have great Auburn gear.

Section 39: Hope you're sitting above Row 30... It's really hard to see how many yards are gained if you're below Row 30 and it's especially hard to see what's happening near the opposite endzone. But you'll love the experience no matter where you're sitting.

Gameday: 1. TigerWalk (happens 2 hours before game time). I'd arrive 1 hour before the TigerWalk starts so you can get a good spot. It's important that you are in the front in order to really take in the tradition.

2. Stay around after TigerWalk and wait for the band to walk into the stadium. They meet at the intersection of Donahue and Heisman. Another great tradition.

3. Get into the stadium by 40 minutes before kickoff. That way you'll see everything going on in JHS before kick-off including the Eagle Flight, Entrance Videos, and the Band.

4. After the game depending on what time it is.. Go roll Toomer's Corner! Skybar is the students personal favorite place to hangout after games. Skybar and 17-16 are great.

Enjoy your trip and make sure you walk all around campus AND visit Auburn Arena. You'll love it and will wanna come back here soon. War Eagle!!

Thanks for the advice guys.  Definitely needed.  We are checking into a hotel on friday and then doing some shopping.  Saturday is all about game day for us.  We will be down early and leaving late!

Going to try to get the Days Inn in shorter.  Awesome price!

Shorter, NOOOOO!!!

Try the Jameson Inn in Alexander City (35 minutes from Auburn).  There is also a Hampton Inn and A Comfort there also, as well as a Best Western (Horseshoe Inn, owned and operated by Auburn alumni).  If you can find a spot on gameday, just park downtown (parking tickets are not written on meters on Saturday) as this will allow you to shop, eat, etc. as well as great access to Toomers Corner after the game.

Archived