HAVE YOUR SAY: Should college athletes be paid?

aurules16

No not at all. If recruits were paid there still would be corruption with over paying, gifts, etc... The schools with more money would get the better recruits and smaller schools would be left in the dark. The hope of an under dog would be gone forever. As soon as you pay recruits you are going to have recruits holding out for more money and this will be nothing but the NFL all over again.

I always thought that food is covered in the scholarship.  if they do it needs to be minimal, IMO, $50-$100 a week at most, I think paying would make the situation worse and further separate the top from bottom.  This will not stop the cheating by boosters for athletes, IMO.  I had scholarships at Auburn and there were stipulations set on all of those scholarships, if being paid, stipulations need to apply, getting in trouble, failing classes, etc.  It is a very complicated situation with no easy answer.....

They do get paid. Their scholarship is worth up to $20,000 a year and could be worth a ton more if you graduate and get a job using that degree you got from that scholarship. So no they don't need to get paid anymore than they already do.

They do get paid. Their scholarship is worth up to $20,000 a year and could be worth a ton more if you graduate and get a job using that degree you got from that scholarship. So no they don't need to get paid anymore than they already do.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

No, they receive a $20,000 a year value.  They're not paid.  I won't argue whether they should be paid what they're worth because it will never happen.  The athletes (particularly football players) bring billions of dollars to the NCAA and and the economy.  In fact, college football is the backbone of ESPN's existence. 

A lot of football players come from disadvantaged situations.  When they attend college and play football, they are not allowed (or highly regulated) from working anywhere else.  Their job is to practice and play their sport.  There are too many instances where the athletes don't even have enough money to buy toothpaste or shaving cream.  The schools are not allowed to provide basic amenities. 

It's impossible to pay these athletes their true worth, but I believe a small stipend and easing harsh regulations that would allow schools to provide necessary amenities to athletes would be a good idea. 

I disagree. I think they should get a stipend, just like a grad student. A lot of these kids have literally no money, and their families cannot help them make ends meet. They should either be allowed to sell autographs, etc., on a limited basis, or get a little more money to help them get through school since they are unable to work for the extra money they need.

It should  only be  the worry about corruption that drives anyone to question this being a good thing.

While athletes get preferential treatment in many cases they do not have a way to make additional cash

wtihin  NCCA regulations.  Remember our four young lads who went out to pick up a little rent money ?

I thought it was complete foolishness that got OSU in trouble for their players selling the gifts given

to them  by their  school. If it belongs to them it is their property to dispose of as they please.

I know this a a slippery slope and people will be lining up to abuse but will also help some that need it too.

If you disagree remember if it happens, Coach Superior can not use it as a recruiting aid as he was going

to be such a good guy and pay out of his own pocket.

Basically I say "no"....since most schools lose money with their athletic programs already and to impose this cost on schools whether they can afford it or not sounds like the Federal Governement solution to a problem.  Many of the kids from poor home situations also get Pell Grants to supplement their scholarships and I can't imagine the Federal Courts allowing schools to make payments in varying amounts to male and female students.. 

The unforseen consequence will be that schools will abandon more of their sports programs and the wealthy programs will totally dominate football.    IMO...a bad idea with too many negative possibilities.

No, they already receive $50,000 to $100,000 in educational benefits by having their academic scholarships (depending on what school they attend), and they basically get a boat load of clothes to wear all year long, so I think they are compensated suffiiciently. However, I do believe that they should have some small amount of spending money if they should want to go off campus to eat, go to a movie, or buy a purchase of some sort for themselves, and it should be based on whether or not the family household income is sufficient to provide money to them or not. It would be need based and not just a guaranteed amount just because you are playing a sport. 

Should they be paid a salary? No. Should their basic needs like toiletries such as shampoo, soap, shaving cream, razors, deodorant, toilet paper, and stuff like that be provided for all scholarship athletes that can't work a job to provide these things for themselves? Absolutely.

Salary-like compensation?  No.  I think that would, in addition to what others have already said, create a resentment towards atheletes amongst other students who aren't athletes.  I had a room mate my freshman year that worked 3 jobs to pay for everything himself and paying athletes a salary just seems like it would indirectly create some kind of caste system.  I do, however, think the NCAA should ease some of the rules that allow help with basic needs and the small extras.  There's obviously no easy way.  But easing some rules seems like a good place to start.

For the 2010-2011 school year Auburn University had 564 athletes as reported The Office of Postsecondary Education.  The college gave out $8,583,459 in athletic scholarships to its student athletes.  If you give each student athlete an extra $2000 stipend (as proposed by the NCAA) it would cost Auburn University another $1,128,000.  Your ticket prices just went up again. 

I don't personally care if they are paid or not. No amount of money will ever be enough.

What I find absolutely sad is a recruiting guy relayed a story about a high school player saying that the high school should pay him.

I hear that one school is already paying their players with Dodge Chargers and free suits.

And we will keep doing it and even more than that,

and nobody will stop us because I told them they couldn't.

Signed,

Nick Saban

Football Playes - yes

Basketball Players - Only if B-ball turns a profit

All other sports that do not bring in revenue -  NO

Tiger Paws - Yes

Football Playes - yes

All other sports that do not bring in revenue -   NO

Tiger Paws - Yes

Are you saying Tiger Paws bring in money?  :-X lol

I hear that one school is already paying their players with Dodge Chargers and free suits.

Same could be said about our school. Unproven allegations sound pretty familiar when you think about Auburn do they not? :dunno:

Football Playes - yes

All other sports that do not bring in revenue -   NO

Tiger Paws - Yes

Yeah that would work perfectly! (sarcasm font) Title IX would prevent that in a heartbeat and it should be prevented. Personally, I don't see how you can reward the football team with money but can't reward the tennis team with money even though they work just as hard. They can't control the amount of people that show up for games or matches.

As for the Tiger Paws, they aren't even an athletic team so there's definitely no relevance there.

1.) Giving these kids a little extra money is going to change nothing. We act like they'll be responsible adults with it and buy necessities or help out their families... please. That money would be gone the moment they received it on clothes, cars, electronic devices, alcohol/drugs, etc.

2.) Allowing them to sale merchandise opens the door for chaos and you're just making it harder to find wrong doing. Jersey's being sold for $20,000... $19,000 in cash and $1,000 reported via proper paperwork.

3.) You can't just pay your top revenue generating sports programs. That university would get absolutely hammered in court. A lot of university sport programs could go bankrupt.

It isn't up to a university to make sure a football player's family has money. Their sole responsibility is to the student, and they meet this responsibility by offering them solid scholarships and giving them a chance to get an education or further their sports career.

1.) Giving these kids a little extra money is going to change nothing. We act like they'll be responsible adults with it and buy necessities or help out their families... please. That money would be gone the moment they received it on clothes, cars, electronic devices, alcohol/drugs, etc.

2.) Allowing them to sale merchandise opens the door for chaos and you're just making it harder to find wrong doing. Jersey's being sold for $20,000... $19,000 in cash and $1,000 reported via proper paperwork.

3.) You can't just pay your top revenue generating sports programs. That university would get absolutely hammered in court. A lot of university sport programs could go bankrupt.

It isn't up to a university to make sure a football player's family has money. Their sole responsibility is to the student, and they meet this responsibility by offering them solid scholarships and giving them a chance to get an education or further their sports career.

^^^^^  Spot on. Sound good, but  it just can't happen.

I agree kids need some pocket money.  There is already a program in place for poor athletes ... Called pell grants ... That should cover the basics that they need (not deserve) ... Also if kids don't like their jerseys being sold or other ways colleges profit then they can protest by quitting or never signing the scholarship paper in the first place.  I can't stand this topic ... Gives me the .... Oh nevermind

If a university allows a music student on full academic scholarship to sing at weddings and bars for extra money, or the computer geek to have a website that makes money,or the art student getting a full ride who commissions artwork to make extra money, or the theater arts student who is allowed to film commercials for pay....then an athlete should be able to use his or her talent to make extra money as well.

If you want college football to be like the NFL then you should be all for it. If you don't then you might want to stay on the con side of the debate. If college football starts looking like the NFL with the attitude of players and game stoppages due to money issues then I will not watch it.

Archived