Why....

freemanjiro

can we not hit our fair share of free throws?  :dunno: Congrats on our second win, but once we hit the meat of our schedule, I get the feeling that our poor FT shooting will cost us more than a game or two.

We are Auburn we never hit FT's

Hmm.  Are we cursed, then?

I believe that Barbee is a disciple of Calipari.  I don't know about UK, but at Memphis, Coach Cal's teams was known for having less-than-stellar free throw shooting.  Maybe the two don't believe that practicing free throws is important.  :dunno:

At BeardEves I always thought the basket must have been tilted or something...we haven't hit free throws for twenty years and it didn't matter who the coach was.  I had hopes it would get better under Barbee but looks like they brought the same old rims with them.

The fact is more and more teams are missing their free throws because players are more focused on dunking and hitting 3 pointers.

we are allergic to the foul line.....when we get close to it,we sneeze,wheeze and choke up.....there is just something with AU  and foul shots....players change,coaches change but that doesn't change

Good shooters hit free throws.  Historically, we have either been able to recruit good athletes that can't shoot or good shooters that are not that great athletically.  Think about the very small number of good shooters that have played for Auburn.  They were good free throw shooters.  Duke, Kansas, UCONN, UNC, etc... are able to recruit  great shooters that are great athletes also.  The haves and have nots.  Historically, we have been have nots. 

Good free throw shooting is a result of two things, form and concentration.  If you are lacking either, you will not shoot well.  Both form and concentration are a result of proper instruction and repetition.  There is no excuse for poor team free throw shooting.  You certainly don't need great athletes who are great shooters to do well from the stripe. Simply put, it has to be a priority for the coaching staff, and the players have to buy in. 

Poor free throw shooting has decided many games, and will continue to decide many more.

Archived