Reflections on an Auburn Man

tigerrules

When I was a child growing up in Montgomery, I remember having to make a choice as to what football team I would support.  For reasons that are really not clear to me now I chose Auburn.  I had no family history with Auburn, my friends were split, my parents had no preference at the time. I remember a quarterback and wide receiver at the time named Sullivan and Beasley.  They were exciting, and so I said "War Eagle".  Man, did I make the right decision.  I remember running around in the yard as either Sullivan or Beasley, simulating last second TD passes.  I remember wanting a "7" jersey that we couldn't afford.  The first game that I ever listened to was 17-16.  Pat won the Heisman trophy, that was a big deal.  I remember him coming back under Dye for a while, he left for TCU.  He faced down his physical challenges as we all prayed for him.  I always hoped he would end up as the AU coach one day.  From Auburn, to UAB,  to TCU and on to Samford he has been successful, but he didn't make it back home as I always wanted. 

Well this weekend he comes back home.  Home where 90,000 people at Jordan Hare, and thousands more across the South, will extend their love and support to a man that has carried himself with grace, dignity, respect and has truly lived the Auburn creed.  He has faced his challenges whether personal, professional or physical.  He has overcome his obstacles and been successful in all aspects of his life.  So this weekend when many return to their Auburn home, we celebrate the athletic life, professional life and personal life of Pat Sullivan.  You were and are a great role model and representative for the Auburn Family and the Sullivan Family.  We thank you....remember you....love you....respect you....and celebrate you.

War Eagle Pat Sullivan.

When I was a child growing up in Montgomery, I remember having to make a choice as to what football team I would support.  For reasons that are really not clear to me now I chose Auburn.  I had no family history with Auburn, my friends were split, my parents had no preference at the time. I remember a quarterback and wide receiver at the time named Sullivan and Beasley.  They were exciting, and so I said "War Eagle".  Man, did I make the right decision.  I remember running around in the yard as either Sullivan or Beasley, simulating last second TD passes.  I remember wanting a "7" jersey that we couldn't afford.  The first game that I ever listened to was 17-16.  Pat won the Heisman trophy, that was a big deal.  I remember him coming back under Dye for a while, he left for TCU.  He faced down his physical challenges as we all prayed for him.  I always hoped he would end up as the AU coach one day.  From Auburn, to UAB,  to TCU and on to Samford he has been successful, but he didn't make it back home as I always wanted. 

Well this weekend he comes back home.  Home where 90,000 people at Jordan Hare, and thousands more across the South, will extend their love and support to a man that has carried himself with grace, dignity, respect and has truly lived the Auburn creed.  He has faced his challenges whether personal, professional or physical.  He has overcome his obstacles and been successful in all aspects of his life.  So this weekend when many return to their Auburn home, we celebrate the athletic life, professional life and personal life of Pat Sullivan.  You were and are a great role model and representative for the Auburn Family and the Sullivan Family.  We thank you....remember you....love you....respect you....and celebrate you.

War Eagle Pat Sullivan.

I was a Navy Brat graduating HS in Mission Bay, Ca. As a Navy brat we moved a lot most of the time we were in the south especially Virginia. My dad went to Naval Academy but had kept his PA. residency so I was technically from P even though I had never lived there and was accepeted to Penn State.  That summer a friend who was a year older then I was a Marine brat we went to school together in Quantico my sophmore and junior year sent me a letter saying he was at Auburn it was great and that I shoul apply.

I do not know to this day why I applied. But I did and I was accepted and started at Auburn in 1969 the Sullivan and Beasley years. Like you I am an Auburn man for life and I can not begin to thank Mr. Sullivan enough for introducing me to Auburn football which helped make me fall in Love with Auburn.

War  Eagle Pat Sullivan.

Excellent post and of course I agree 110%. I was a Senior at Auburn when Pat was a Soph. and he provided many memorable moments for Auburn Alums with his exploits on the football field. Pat has continued in the same manner after he graduated and yes, he has proven he is a true Auburn man.

I saw Sullivan play in a number of games during his time at AU including the Georgia game when he "won his Heisman"  ....boy it's hard to believe that it has been 40 years since that happened.    Proud of Auburn for having such fine people as Pat Sullivan to recognize.....and as always, I'm proud to be an Auburn Tiger ! 

:we:

Guest shirley4au9

Pat Who

Lets see how many remember this. I still have my sticker

AND Terry what's his name! I have Sullivan to Beasly bumper sticler framed in my Auburn room! Sullivan, "How far you want to go Beas? Beasley, "just throw it and I'll run under it". One of my favorites, was the AL game 1970. Pat approached Beasley and told him, get ready, we're going to win this one just like we did as freshmen. They did, 33-28! So many wonderful memories! 

Archived