Intensity

bzlivn

I heard Coach Barbee talk after one of recent games about the fact that we need to be the team that the other teams need to play up to.  That comes with intensity, confidence & energy.  We do not have the confidence right now. VW is trying hard and I understand he is injured  Nonetheless, he has to set the tone.  I think the turn overs has him down.  That chink in confidence is costing the rest of the team to be a bit off.  IMO

This team is so much better than a year ago and its not funny. Barbee has made huge steps with the quality depth that he has built in just one year. I would like to see more intensity on the defensive end. To this point that is the greatest weakness and they give up too many easy baskets.

This team will get better as the season goes on and Kenneth Gabriel is the only significant loss heading into next season.

I can't hardly believe how much better our basketball program is since the start of the 2010 season.  :we:

We have more depth this year, but it has yet to translate into a better product.  I love Auburn basketball, but now I know how the Kentucky fan who loves KY football feels.  There's just something about the AU bball atmosphere that doesn't translate to a consistent, high quality product. 

I'm convinced Tony Barbee is a great coach, but I thought that of Lebo as well....and that didn't pan out due to attrition, poor foul shooting, and key injuries (Vot Barber lost for his whole Jr. year, etc.).  That same bug is lingering under Barbee to an extent.  Without calling out individual players, there are players, even a starter, who should be starting JC, or maybe at a much smaller D1 school.  Kenny Gabriel is a Chris Porter type athlete, a premiere role player who should be freed to just make plays; so is Langford.  Frederick Sullivan is a legit Duke or North Carolina caliber shooting guard, but beyond that there's just not much there to win with.  Our bigs don't have the skill to merit having their education provided at no cost.  Our pt. guard play needs vast improvement, and we need the team to gel, and quickly.  Ole Miss had a similar situation a couple of years ago, where they opened up a cakewalk non-conf. schedule with a sterling record, only to fall apart when they played good teams in conference.  I think they may have barely hit the .500 mark.  Looks like that may be in store for this AU team.

I know everyone is doing the best they can.  CTB will bring improvement to this team's level of play over the course of the season, even if it takes some mean stares and dirty words screamed at an impressive decibel level.  War Eagle! :wareagle:

IMO, this team is developing chemistry and mixing and matching numerous parts as they become available.  Yesterday's game was quite disappointing because it seemed to be there for the taking and would have painted the trip a success at 2 & 1.  Still, we are 8 & 3 and have won at least a few games we would have lost last year so I see the team as vastly improved.  Our point guard play has been disappointing although Ward may have had his best game last night.  Langford's play has been a pleasant surprise after being less than impressive last year.  Noel Johnson has finally seen action and you could see some flasshes last night of what we might be able to expect.  I am encouraged and optimistic about this year and future years.  At the risk of jinxing us, our free throw shooting has even been mostly respectable the last few games!  We should enter SEC play at no worse than 10 & 4  and a .500 SEC performance is a realistic goal.  I see the NIT as realistic this year and will be shocked if future years don't bring NCAA bids.  I encourage everyone to get to the arena to support Barbee and the team.  It is a great venue and it has been pretty lonely in there at times!

:wareagle:

We have more depth this year, but it has yet to translate into a better product.  I love Auburn basketball, but now I know how the Kentucky fan who loves KY football feels.  There's just something about the AU bball atmosphere that doesn't translate to a consistent, high quality product. 

I'm convinced Tony Barbee is a great coach, but I thought that of Lebo as well....and that didn't pan out due to attrition, poor foul shooting, and key injuries (Vot Barber lost for his whole Jr. year, etc.).  That same bug is lingering under Barbee to an extent.  Without calling out individual players, there are players, even a starter, who should be starting JC, or maybe at a much smaller D1 school.  Kenny Gabriel is a Chris Porter type athlete, a premiere role player who should be freed to just make plays; so is Langford.  Frederick Sullivan is a legit Duke or North Carolina caliber shooting guard, but beyond that there's just not much there to win with.  Our bigs don't have the skill to merit having their education provided at no cost.  Our pt. guard play needs vast improvement, and we need the team to gel, and quickly.  Ole Miss had a similar situation a couple of years ago, where they opened up a cakewalk non-conf. schedule with a sterling record, only to fall apart when they played good teams in conference.  I think they may have barely hit the .500 mark.  Looks like that may be in store for this AU team.

I know everyone is doing the best they can.  CTB will bring improvement to this team's level of play over the course of the season, even if it takes some mean stares and dirty words screamed at an impressive decibel level.  War Eagle! :wareagle:

Wow!!! What a negative 1st post. This program is light years ahead of where Lebo had it. These players in certain instances are playing together for the 1st time. Key contributers are coming off injuries and are trying to blend in with the rest of the team. Its seems that you are judging this program at the level of a UNC, Duke, or a UK. I'm i right? Auburn will compete in the SEC West this year, and will be a lot better next season. Please, don't be a "Debbie Downer" during the Christmas Holidays.

Wow!!! What a negative 1st post. This program is light years ahead of where Lebo had it. These players in certain instances are playing together for the 1st time. Key contributers are coming off injuries and are trying to blend in with the rest of the team. Its seems that you are judging this program at the level of a UNC, Duke, or a UK. I'm i right? Auburn will compete in the SEC West this year, and will be a lot better next season. Please, don't be a "Debbie Downer" during the Christmas Holidays.

I feel that I am judging Auburn's men's basketball team versus a standard that I believe they can and should achieve.  I don't believe Florida, with it's size, endowment, and athletic commitment in many sports, was ever a perennial player in the national mbb scene until CBD got there and created a culture of winning from the ground-up.  I'd love to see that happen at AU.  I do believe they are on their way, it's just not quite there yet.  I saw some of the same marks with Lebo bringing in Tony Douglas, Vot Barber, Josh Dollard, etc., only to not have it springboard the program to the next level.  Guess I've been frustrated at AU's lack of improvement in intensity so far this year.

Thank you for commenting on my post! Best wishes and Happy New Year, O&B! :)

This team winning the sec west....you should consider a career in comedy.

They got rid of divisions anyway

Oh yeaahhh. So that is in effect for this season?

This team winning the sec west....you should consider a career in comedy.

They got rid of divisions anyway

Oh yeaahhh. So that is in effect for this season?

Yeah, it is.

I feel that I am judging Auburn's men's basketball team versus a standard that I believe they can and should achieve.  I don't believe Florida, with it's size, endowment, and athletic commitment in many sports, was ever a perennial player in the national mbb scene until CBD got there and created a culture of winning from the ground-up.  I'd love to see that happen at AU.  I do believe they are on their way, it's just not quite there yet.  I saw some of the same marks with Lebo bringing in Tony Douglas, Vot Barber, Josh Dollard, etc., only to not have it springboard the program to the next level.  Guess I've been frustrated at AU's lack of improvement in intensity so far this year.

Thank you for commenting on my post! Best wishes and Happy New Year, O&B! :)

I understand where you are coming from. Like you I want to see us get to the next level where expectations are high before the season and players want to come here because of those expectations. I just believe we are a little closer than you realize. The talent level is better than in the past but with so many new players competing for PT and without the team having created a personality yet it is easy to dismiss this team. 

Remember with a lot less talent last year by the end of the Season we were a team that could have been a spoiler. This year while not great we are better than we were at this time last year. If Barbee can do as good a job of coaching and motivating as last year we will be competitive in the SEC this year (Competitive I am not saying we will win).

We have more size inside (Chubb. Forbes, and Kousai)  we have some real solid players in Sullivan, Langford and Gabriel and I beleive as Ward get's healthier and works the rust off we have a legitimate point Guard. While we are bigger inside defensively we are not strong enough there but we can make up for it with our depth at other positions. We can honestly go 9-10 deep giving us the ability to play hard on defense once the players get used to each other.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family also.

For our basketball program to grow, we need total commitment from the fans. At home games so far the attendance have been sparse. The university proved their commitment to the program by building a great new basketball arena. It would be nice for basketball recruits to come to a filled arena that is highly energetic. That could go a long ways in convincing top recruits to come here instead of going elsewhere.

I know Auburn is a football first university. The drawing card for the football recruits is Tiger Walk, the soldout stadium, and the overall atmosphere that Auburn provides for football.

The coaches can only do so much to attract top basketball recruits here. We as fans must help provide the same atmosphere that attracts top football recruits to want to come here.

First, regarding the team this season: It takes time to develop chemistry.  We have beaten every team that we were clearly better than (which says something) and lost to two that were clearly better than us (blow outs were discouraging though) and lost one to UTEP who we appeared to be fairly evenly matched with.  While I am a bit disappointed with the loss to UTEP and the margins by which we lost to SH and LBS, I'm proud of the win over Hawaii, a hard fought game on the road after a lot of travel.  This team is just now full strength, and judging by the playing time given to Johnson and Langford upon their returns, we have been playing without two of our most important players for most of the young season.  There is no question that the product on the court this season is night and day from the one on the court last season.  As long as this team improves this year and we add more talent next year, very bright things are in store at AU.

Now on to the bigger question: changing the culture of a program isn't easy.  No team in the state of Alabama has ever been to a single final four. This isn't just an Auburn issue, people in the state of Alabama clearly don't value basketball as much as football, period.  That won't change.  However, we can still develop a top notch program at AU.  I think the current administration has most of the parts to do so.  First is commitment by the school, I think that is obviously there.  Second is the right coach.  I like CB, only time will tell if he is the guy.  To build a program you need to get a guy to stick around for years.  If we can get a long term commitment out of CB, then I think we are in store for some very fun basketball.

Win games and AU fans will take care of the rest.  In the state of Alabama, you cannot expect fans to act like they are Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, Indiana, UCLA or any of the other traditional programs that sell out games no matter what is happening on the court.

For our basketball program to grow, we need total commitment from the fans. At home games so far the attendance have been sparse. The university proved their commitment to the program by building a great new basketball arena. It would be nice for basketball recruits to come to a filled arena that is highly energetic. That could go a long ways in convincing top recruits to come here instead of going elsewhere.

I know Auburn is a football first university. The drawing card for the football recruits is Tiger Walk, the soldout stadium, and the overall atmosphere that Auburn provides for football.

The coaches can only do so much to attract top basketball recruits here. We as fans must help provide the same atmosphere that attracts top football recruits to want to come here.

It's an old debate (more fans equals better bball or better bball equals more fans), but I'm a believer in "if you win they will come".  I was at AU in the late 90s and there were NO tix to be had for home games.  AU bball was as good as its been...ever, and the fans showed up.  Fans showing up is not going to make AU bball better, sure it might help with perception, which will eventually help with recruiting.  I'm sure Barbee, and everyone associated with AU bball realize that they can only control the performance on the court.  They'd like to see more fans, and they know they will have to win to make that happen. 

It's an old debate (more fans equals better bball or better bball equals more fans), but I'm a believer in "if you win they will come".  I was at AU in the late 90s and there were NO tix to be had for home games.  AU bball was as good as its been...ever, and the fans showed up.  Fans showing up is not going to make AU bball better, sure it might help with perception, which will eventually help with recruiting.  I'm sure Barbee, and everyone associated with AU bball realize that they can only control the performance on the court.  They'd like to see more fans, and they know they will have to win to make that happen. 

I don't think Auburn will ever be a basketball power no matter who our coach may be. The interest just isn't here for basketball at Auburn. Auburn can be a sweet 16 type team if the fans will only support it. Recruits can see the lack of interest here in basketball when they come here and see only 1,500 fans. Just look at how few people post here in the basketball forum. That's why Coach Barbee preach and preach for more fans to attend basketball games. It is nearly impossible to recruit great talent to come here in a near empty arena.

It's a catch 22.  When the bball teams are winning regularly, beating SEC teams and challenging for the NCAA Tourney the stands have always been more full.  There have even been regular sellouts.  But with the teams we have been forced to watch lately, the interest has not and will not be there.   

I don't think Auburn will ever be a basketball power no matter who our coach may be. The interest just isn't here for basketball at Auburn. Auburn can be a sweet 16 type team if the fans will only support it. Recruits can see the lack of interest here in basketball when they come here and see only 1,500 fans. Just look at how few people post here in the basketball forum. That's why Coach Barbee preach and preach for more fans to attend basketball games. It is nearly impossible to recruit great talent to come here in a near empty arena.

maybe not a "power" in the sense of being a top 5-10 program, but we could absolutely be a power in the sense of regularly making the ncaa tourney and making some deep runs, hopefully making the final four and winning a national championship.  It can be done more easily in basketball than in football, because you only need to convince a few kids rather  than 50+ to come to your school. 

I played college basketball at a lower level and played AAU ball, I can tell you that there are plenty of good basketball players from the south.  It takes administrations commitment to paying the coaching staff and funding the program (facilities, recruiting trips, etc....) that can make an ok program into a power.  It seems the current administration is serious about having a program to be proud of, so lets give them a chance. 

FYI, I plan on trying to make a home game or two during SEC play for the first time since I graduated, and it is because there is a better product on the court. 

Great discussion, guys!  I agree that a better on-court product will result in much greater fan attention and participation, and that is to be expected.  But I think we have to have a little more consistency, like 2-3 yrs of really good team play, before the fans' enthusiasm really grows "roots."  I'm 31 and the only excellence I remember seeing on the court from AU has been 1 great year with Cliff in '98, 1 solid but underachieving year in '99, a good year with Marquis D. in '03, and then Lebo's turnaround year that should have resulted in a Big Dance bid 3 years ago.  Just too few and far between for fans to really expect the winning excellence.  It does all start with players.  That's the key...how is Tony Barbee, or Rick Pitino, or Phil Jackson for that matter, going to win when all the best players are everywhere else?  Tony has got to get in some living rooms and steal about 2 or 3 guys away from Donovan or Coach K. or Calipari and have something to build on!  I remember Rod Barnes' Ole Miss teams playing as hard as any team, but inferior talent eventually got him canned.  Intensity only goes so far.  So what do y'all think...what specifically is it going to take for the culture of Auburn basketball to take off?

Archived