No. 2 Auburn Mens Golf Win Gator Invitational

augolf1716

The No. 2 Auburn men’s golf team finished the opening day at the Gator Invitational in first place behind a stellar first day from junior Dominic Bozzelli at the Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Fla.

As a team, Auburn shot 279-281--560 (E) to hold a five-stroke lead over host Florida. The Tigers finished the first round in second place but shot a 1-over 281 in the second to gain six strokes on the Gators. No. 8 Arkansas sits in third place at 17-over 577, while Liberty and No. 17 Florida State are tied for fourth at 18-over 578.

“We played two good rounds under tough conditions,” head coach Nick Clinard said. “It was extremely wind and their mental approach was sound. We are looking forward to tomorrow. I am proud of all six of my guys.”

Bozzelli shot a career-best 6-under 64 in the second round to take a five-stroke lead ahead of Florida’s TJ Vogel. The Pittsford, N.Y., native finished the first round tied for second place after shooting a 2-under 68.

Junior Michael Hebert also sits inside the top-five after shooting a season-best 70 in both rounds. Sophomore Niclas Carlsson, who is playing as an individual, is tied for sixth at 1-over par after rounds of 68 and 73.

Blayne Barber sits tied for 17th after carding a 2-under 68 in the first round, but struggled in the afternoon, shooting a 6-over 76. True freshman Michael Johnson is currently tied for 20th at 5-over after carding rounds of 73 and 72.

Junior Jackson Beindorf rounds out the Tigers’ lineup, tied for 47th, after shooting a 75 in both rounds.

The Tigers will tee off tomorrow with Florida and Arkansas at 9 a.m.

Live scoring can be found at www.GolfStat.com

The team has got off to an excellent start this year.

The No. 2 Auburn men's golf team won its second tournament of the 2011-12 campaign by 16 strokes on Sunday afternoon behind junior Dominic Bozzelli's individual win at the Gator Invitational at the Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida.

The Tigers shot 279-281-288--848 (+8) in the two-day tournament defeating No. 8 Arkansas by 16 strokes who shot 288-289-287--864 (+24). Host Florida finished in the third place at 25-over, while No. 21 UCF (+31) and No. 17 Florida State (+33) round out the top five.

"It was a great win for Dominic and the team," head coach Nick Clinard said. "I am proud of all six of my players. We are happy, but we definitely didn't play our best today. We continue to have lots of work to do to be great. We need the next two weeks to work on our ball striking and short games."

Bozzelli won his second-straight individual title after shooting an even-par 70 in the final round. The Pittsford, N.Y., native shot a career best 6-under 64 in the second round to propel him into first.

Junior Blayne Barber posted his second-straight top five finish of the season after bouncing back from a 6-over 76 second round. The Lake City, Fla., native carded a 1-under 69 to finish tied for third. Sophomore Niclas Carlsson, who played as an individual, finished tied for sixth with a 4-over 214 for the tournament, which is his highest ranked finish since tying for fifth at last year's Gator Invitational.

Junior Michael Hebert finished at a season-high ninth place after finishing at 5-over 215. Freshman Michael Johnson finished in the top 20 for the fourth time this season. The Birmingham, Ala., native tied for 19th at 9-over par.

Jackson Beindorf rounded out the Tigers' lineup tied for 63rd at 20-over.

"It was a great win for Dominic and the team," head coach Nick Clinard said. "I am proud of all six of my players. We are happy, but we definitely didn't play our best today. We continue to have lots of work to do to be great. We need the next two weeks to work on our ball striking and short games."

If that wasn't there best, I wonder what that looks like, It was cold and super windy with weekend. anytime you play that well in that kind of wind, it's a great day.

Out of curiosity, and I know I could go look it up but would rather not. If we are #2 who is #1?

War Eagle!  :wareagle:

Texas they have the top 2 rated players in college right now were AU has 2 players in the top 20.

Thanks Golf.

Archived