WHY NOT US

NEVER KNOWN OF A COACH BEAT HIS PLAYERS UP TO THE MEDIA LIKE BARBEE! SOME TIMES SEEMS LIKE EXCUSES FOR NOT PLAYING TALENTED KIDS....ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING BOUT WHO CAN/CANT PLAY DEFENSE OR PICK UP HIS OFFENSE...HAVEN'T SEEN  A STANDOUT DEFENDER YET! MAYBE ITS HIS SYSTEM OR HE IS RECRUITING THE WRONG KIDS FOR HIS SYSTEM

please don't shout

In retrospect one mistake Barbee made was trying to red shirt a couple of guys. I think that we will not have enough numbers to red shirt anybody this season (other than Harrell). Even if we did, it seems to me that it would make more sense to get our guys on the court as soon as possible and try to put a halt to the attrition.

He never had any plans to redshirt players. Both Morena and McAffee were injured early in the season and because of the nature of the injuries and the time being missed it made the most sense to get the medical redshirt.

Morena was probably not due to contribute much as a freshman, but McAffee was definitely going to play. Not having him and Noel Johnson for extended minutes really hurt last year's team.

WDE!

Good dialogue. A part of me thinks that Morena's red shirt had an effect on Kouassi's wanting to leave. Also I think that McAfee could have and should have played some towards the end of the season. As for Johnson, he was brought on VERY slowly. I can not help but wonder if he should have had more earlier minutes of playing time.

I've always thought the people who argued we would struggle as long as we were an Under Armour school were full of it but I'm beginning to rethink that opinion.

What does Under Armour have to do with a program's ability to win and put productive, talented athletes on the court?

I could write a book on how it puts us at a disadvantage.

It begs to be asked, does Barbee have a history of recruiting kids with character issues (insert witty Derrick Caracter reference here)?  Did he bring in point shavers and dropouts at UTEP?    I honestly don't know.  I assume if this was an issue at previous jobs, it would have been mentioned before now.  If Tony Barbee was the sole problem here, I would think you'd find a track record of his recruiting woes at previous schools.  To my knowledge (again, I could be wrong) he hasn't experienced troubles like this in the past, which would lead me to believe, Tony Barbee's recruiting ability/ criteria isn't the only problem here. 

This problem isn't unique to Auburn, it's not like we went and found these players in a gutter somewhere.  Other teams were actively recruiting these same players against us.....so are we to assume these have issues with their player development/ recruiting evaluation as well.  Varez Ward went to TX first and had offers from FSU, Marquette, Arky, and K State, so they must've whiffed on his issues as well.  Kouassi had a dozen other offers, Langford had offers to UGA, Cincy, Ole Miss, and WVU....plenty of programs that are performing at a higher level than Auburn right now.

I have no idea what the problem is, I just think it is short sighted to say the problem is Tony Barbee.  We were struggling before he got here, and we are still struggling today.  Who knows when we'll get through this, but I still feel confident that Barbee is the guy to get it done. 

It does appear these guys had offers from big-time schools.  But were they committable offers?  In football there are offers contingent on certain things happening and others being checked out. I would think the same thing would apply to Basketball.  Some of these schools may have backed off after looking into their backgrounds a little more.  Who knows?  Whats done is done.  Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and proceed with caution. 

I've always thought the people who argued we would struggle as long as we were an Under Armour school were full of it but I'm beginning to rethink that opinion.

What does Under Armour have to do with a program's ability to win and put productive, talented athletes on the court?

I honestly had no idea how things (UA/Nike/Adidas contracts) are run by AAU basketball.  I don't see how this isn't an NCAA violation.  If a shoe company is putting money into AAU, and AAU coaches are stearing players to the schools that have the same shoe/apparel deals contracts, then that opens up the door for some pretty shady stuff to occur behind the scenes.

I honestly had no idea how things (UA/Nike/Adidas contracts) are run by AAU basketball.  I don't see how this isn't an NCAA violation.  If a shoe company is putting money into AAU, and AAU coaches are stearing players to the schools that have the same shoe/apparel deals contracts, then that opens up the door for some pretty shady stuff to occur behind the scenes.

I agree.  I have always heard that the dirty side of college basketball recruiting makes college football recruiting look like a church picnic. 

If you are a great football player you probably won't chose to go to Kentucky. By the same token if you are a great basketball player you probably won't be coming to Auburn, at least not at this time. I think Barbee is a very good coach but he is not at a very good basketball school (right now). It takes time to build a top notch program the right way. Who knows if he is the right coach to do it or not but he has to have time to do it. It's a different game today than when Sonny Smith had his tourney teams in the 80's and even since Ellis in the late 90's and early 00's. The players today all want to play in the NBA and be on the ESPN highlights and they are not really interested in playing 4 years anywhere. Barbee will need time and possibly more time than some people will want to wait. Hopefully it wont be longer than he is willing to wait. The university has committed themselves by building the new arena. Patience is a virtue that today's instant gratification society does not care for. I know some schools have successful FB and BB programs but not too many. I will always hope that AU will get on track with BB but for the past 20 years I have also been a Duke BB fan as well. It helps ease the pain in March when you have someone to pull for. WDE!

If you are a great football player you probably won't chose to go to Kentucky. By the same token if you are a great basketball player you probably won't be coming to Auburn, at least not at this time. I think Barbee is a very good coach but he is not at a very good basketball school (right now). It takes time to build a top notch program the right way. Who knows if he is the right coach to do it or not but he has to have time to do it. It's a different game today than when Sonny Smith had his tourney teams in the 80's and even since Ellis in the late 90's and early 00's. The players today all want to play in the NBA and be on the ESPN highlights and they are not really interested in playing 4 years anywhere. Barbee will need time and possibly more time than some people will want to wait. Hopefully it wont be longer than he is willing to wait. The university has committed themselves by building the new arena. Patience is a virtue that today's instant gratification society does not care for. I know some schools have successful FB and BB programs but not too many. I will always hope that AU will get on track with BB but for the past 20 years I have also been a Duke BB fan as well. It helps ease the pain in March when you have someone to pull for. WDE!

Comments like this disgust me! 

Blah, I say let people root for who they want to root for.

Blah, I say let people root for who they want to root for.

Me too, 'cept for those nutjobs who say they pull for UAT when they're not playing Auburn.  That is horsesh**. 

Nothing wrong with having a second team. My son goes to Arkansas and my Dad went to the Naval Academy I cheer for them when not playing us. Auburn will always be my first love but that doesn't mean you can't have other teams you like and cheer for. I do agree with the one poster the other team or one of the other teams can't be Bama.

What's the deal anyway?

When my son was about 10 and becoming a real sports nut, he had decided who his favorite top 20 teams were and could name them in decending order.  So anyone who only has two or three favorite teams is not paying close enough attention to the possibilities.    Me on the other hand, I  have compiled a list of my least favorite teams which starts with Bama, followed by UF, then USCw, ND and  Ohio State....I'm always for whoever plays against them.  See...it can work both way.  :)

Speaking of KY, did you guys see the comments UK fans were sending to an 18 yr old high school student who chose another school over KY?  There were grown men telling this recruit to go (do terrible things to) himself, they hoped he would die, calling him a coward, and worse.  It was a disturbing, sad display from UK fans. 

What do the other SEC schools have that we dont.  We have a new basketball arena.  We have great weight rooms.  Why cannot we get the players that the other programs are getting.  Our program has not been in the spotlight for eleven  years.  That is enough time for us to rebuild.  I dont see the football players leaving like our basketball players do.  We need a change.  It also would help us with recruiting with football players as well.  My opinion is we just need some high profile people to come in.

Patience is the key here. I understand your comments and it has indeed been a long drought and a few things have not worked out as planned since Barbee has arrived, but he is steadfast and unwavering as is Jacobs and AU will be a very solid basketball program in the next few years, it is taking time to change the mentality as should be expected for the most part. The world is full of unknowns and things change everyday in every facet of life to some degree, but you build anything that needs to start from scratch with the foundation and then one brick at a time if you want success to last in anything in life. You will find that loyalty to the current players and coaches is important as AU rebuilds. The synergy is much needed by all right now, the enthusiasm for the direction of the program will not go unnoticed by one or two recruits we will get in the near future among some very solid one's already on the way. The staff is getting settled and now that the upcoming high school players see it along with a dynamic arena and fan base and style of play Barbee will have once he gets his players in place, it is only a matter of time. Live in the now, the past is gone and tomorrow never arrives. It is important to plan, but never lose sight of the fact that only now exists. Tomorrow is today's now and the past is gone although we should always cherish those before us and learn from past mistakes. As Oprah says....When we know better, we do better...what an off beat tangent I just went off on. AU basketball will be relevant again very soon...

I think that what kind of troubles me is that I have already read this thread. It was about 4-5 years ago.  Substitute the name Lebo in everywhere you read the name Barbee in this thread and it has a very familiar ring to it.

We have no choice but to be patient.  To move on would probably be program suicide.  Who would want to come here with such a short rope to rebuild a team in a legitimate fashion. 

We can only cross our fingers and hope that this time we have the right guy.

I think that what kind of troubles me is that I have already read this thread. It was about 4-5 years ago.  Substitute the name Lebo in everywhere you read the name Barbee in this thread and it has a very familiar ring to it.

We have no choice but to be patient.  To move on would probably be program suicide.  Who would want to come here with such a short rope to rebuild a team in a legitimate fashion. 

We can only cross our fingers and hope that this time we have the right guy.

+1

Cross fingers, grit teeth, and support the program, all the while hoping and praying things get turned around and our bb program becomes a contender again real soon.

Archived