A spring of disappointments

AU64

Just read a piece about UAT possibly winning 3 or more national championships this year and then I looked back at what has to be the most under-fulfilled spring sports season at AU in quite some time.

Men and women's golf were highly regarded yet the women failed to advance in the NCAA...and the men are in the midst of a total collapse at Riveria CC  this afternoon.  Ranked 4 nationally and looks like they will end up 24 or so.

Women's softball started the season on fire then lost a key player and that seemed to end it for them.  They made it to the NCAA but dropped the first two games and were gone.

Baseball lost two winnable series against UGA and UAT and barely squeaked into the SEC ...and did not make it to the NCAA which takes 64 teams.

The track programs have some excellent individuals in both men's  and women's programs but women but both finished in the middle of the pack at SEC tournament and neither has enough depth to contend nationally.

Both the men's and women's tennis had losing records in the SEC although the men's team overall had a fairly good season.

I realize that for many AU fans, spring is when we talk about football recruiting and spring practice but AU spends a great deal of money on scholarships, coaches and facilities for the spring sports and the results are just awful when considered in mass. 

The AU blog sites that I read seem to virtually ignore this spectrum of AU sports despite the millions spent to support them with coaches, top class facilities and the 50 or so scholarships awarded to male and female athletes who compete for AU.

Frankly, JJ and the Athletic Department are getting an undeserved pass in this area.  He and his staff should have to answer more questions about performances in these sports.    I get the feeling that some folks are willing to underwrite these programs in order to compley with Title IX and that winning is not that important.

:dunno:

I am with you on this AU64. Couple this with the fiasco in men's basketball (at the moment not Barbee's fault) and what I consider a less than impressive women's basketball hire, I believe JJ is getting a free ride off of 2010 football. I am of the opinion that AU sports (with the exception of football) are in somewhat of decline. I will even throw swimming into that mix. Still not sure what happened with David Marsh, but we are not quite competing nationally like we did.

I have been feeling much the same; especially when comparing ourselves to our in state rival where they are on an upswing.  However, I am hopeful/excited about Coach Flo and the Womens Basketball program.

Gotta keep the faith but it was very disappointing especially both golf teams. I still believe we will win Mens NCAA golf one day. Coach Nick has us in the right direction with a strong foundation for the future.

It's been disappointing, but I'm not sure Jay Jacobs is to blame for it at this time.  I think he has great coaches in place to do big things.  We just need a little good luck & momentum to go our way. 

I must say it is maddening to watch the other school pull out NC's like they did this year, and then to see their men's golf in it down to the wire as well.  But, I feel like AU is on the cusp of greatness in all sports.  The "core" is there for sure. :we:

To me it is more about trends in the programs, so therefore I am not sold on the existing coaches.

Golf from what I see is trending upward. I think our expectation was better finish to the season in the NCAA.

Other sports I am not sure. Tennis, not a very good year (i think). Baseball-ugh. Softball- seem to be satisfied with middle to lower of SEC. Time for a change IMO. Track- I am not sure, but seems to be pretty avg. Mens and womens basketball- we will see. Lots of questions here. Soccer- Again not sure. Gymnastics- another avg performer year in year out.

Just my thoughts. If you take out football 2010 and the good things going on with football I think there would be an uproar about AU athletics.

Belle...I understand...just that bama is doing quite well now and in the news....but perhaps you prefer that we compare to Florida or LSU or Georgia or maybe Kentucky...or Tennessee or Arkansas?   

Check this site;  http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/florida/post?id=5099&_slug_=uf-sweeps-sec-all-sports-trophies-again&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fcolleges%2fflorida%2fpost%3fid%3d5099%26_slug_%3duf-sweeps-sec-all-sports-trophies-again

Our overall program is not doing that well and if you check back a few years, as noted by 80Tiger, the trend is not in our favor.  We are middle of the pack in about every sport and unless I'm missing something, there is not much to indicate that we are on the up-swing in any sport but perhaps men's golf.  I'm sorry but "facts is facts".

:dunno:

Archived