whos your fav bball player to play at Auburn?

John Mengelt

^^This^^ by a huge margin.. guy was a scoring machine. Saw him put up 60 pts one night against the turds. He was also nickname “Crash” for his willingness to dive after loose balls.  I also seem to remember a game against LSU and Pistol Pete were Pistol scored in the 50's as well as John.

Chris Morris I think. Also a big fan of Doc, Pohlman, Keenan Carpenter, and Chuck...Person that is. Ha!

The biggest doofus to put on an AU uniform: Ernie Magri. Seven footer that ran very, very hard but in one place too long! :)

The biggest doofus to put on an AU uniform: Ernie Magri. Seven footer that ran very, very hard but in one place too long! :)

Blast from tha past. I saw Ernie in the mid 80's working for what was called Southern Airlines as a ticket agent.

Blast from tha past. I saw Ernie in the mid 80's working for what was called Southern Airlines as a ticket agent.

We had high hopes for the big guy when he transferred from either Michigan or Michigan State (can't remember which). Boy were we evermore disappointed!

We had high hopes for the big guy when he transferred from either Michigan or Michigan State (can't remember which). Boy were we evermore disappointed!

I can still see him trying to run down court after a Auburn missed FG attempt. It took him forever to get to the other end of the court. He really was a nice guy but sorta shy. I mean when I saw him behind the ticket counter I just kept looking up and up and up. He transfrred from UM. Ernie is second from the left kneeling. Also Rudy Tomjanovich is #45 in the picture

16jmq28.jpg

Not favorite player but favorite play...John Helmlinger blocked the potential game winnng shot by Kentucky at the buzzer enabling AU to win the SEC championship.  Coach Eaves noted afterward that Helmlinger paid for his scholarship on that play. 

That was probably the single most important play in AU basketball history. 

I'm going to say Charles Barkley, which I know is an easy answer but I think he helped put AU on the basketball map (which AU seems to have lost for the last few  years), followed very closely by Chuck Person, Eddie Johnson (I know he's in jail or maybe he's out now, but when he played he was one helluva guard), John Mengelt, and Wes Person.

Lucas Hargrove by far.

For real? Why? I would have to say Doc Robinson and Barkley

i just loved the way he played real athletic could shoot some and played with his heart on his sleeve.

Least favorite was Adrien Chilliest...he tried to hit me in the face with a golf club in college.  Luckily (like the Boston Celtics), Marquis Daniels was there to step in and save me. 

Least favorite was Adrien Chilliest...he tried to hit me in the face with a golf club in college.  Luckily (like the Boston Celtics), Marquis Daniels was there to step in and save me. 

ohh i want to hear more about this story!

Loved Chuck Person. He almost willed us to a national championship, one which we would have earned had Barkley not turned pro early. we lost in the elite 8 to to the eventual champions Louisville because we could not stop a freshman center named Pervis Ellison. As good as he was, he would have been no match for Barkley as a senior...

Sitting out on a friend's porch one night having a beer or two.  A couple of larger, athletic looking guys were a few places down...we invited them down, talked with them a while.  I recognized Chill b/c he had been here a few yrs I think. At the time MD was a freshman or Soph.  AC had clearly been "over served" and asked me to give him a dollar.  I though he was joking and told him no...he started getting mad and got in my face a little bit and said if I didn't give him a dollar he was going to go inside, get a golf club, and hit me in the face with it.  I had been over served too, so I decided to call his bluff.  He went inside, got an old iron, and gave me one last chance to give him a dollar.  I said no, and he drew back....like drew back into a full golf swing..not baseball swing (as if to hit me under the chin) and MD stepped between us and grabbed the golf club.  He took AC back inside then came outside to apologize.  +2 for MD, -10 for AC.

Also, Mike Pucillo once stole a keg off my porch at Scarb Square, marched down my steps then up his steps (full keg lifted over his head) and then threw it at a crowd of us down below.  He was mad b/c he had to study and we were all drinking and having a good time so he wanted to ruin our party.  He did not succeed.

Nominee for post of the year.

Do tell............. seems to be more to this story. lets here it Danby

Do tell............. seems to be more to this story. lets here it Danby

Look up about 3 or 4 posts

It's really difficult to pick just one but I have to go way back to Henry "Po Devil" hart. He did everything well and was a valuable member of the Snow White and Seven Dwarfs" in the fifties.

Archived