PSU SANCTIONS AND PATERNO

Elephant Tipper

Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?   

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?

• Yes
    • No

Where is the option for moving it to another location?

Where is the option for smashing it to smithereens ?

That would be apart of the removing it option.  ;)

No, e, actually it isn't.  The statue is being placed in storage and will most likely be awaiting a future placement when the heat is off and they need to demonstrate a complete divorce from his legacy.  They are not removing Joe Pa's name from the library which tells me they have a problem with reality.  Quietly the school should give the statue to a smelter and be done with it.  PSU's beloved coach has undone 40+ years of good coaching by one selfish act and they need to eradicate this stain more forcefully and thoroughly.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Joe Pa didn't want to believe the truth about his friend Sandusky. Maybe he thought he could get him under control himself and save the university he loved much grief and pain. Point is I don't know why that old man handled the things the way he did. Was he wrong? Hell yeah he was. Now here comes his statue down and probably the rest of PSU's athletic programs as well....

The NCAA to announce "unpresedented penalties" against PSU 9 o'clock Monday morning. With one NCAA spokesperson claiming, "I have never seen nothing like it."  

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57477382/ncaa-source-unprecedented-penalties-against-penn-state/

It would be really nice to read that a spokesperson for the NCAA did not use a double negative while giving a statement. He/she is a PR professional, after all, and thats just Charles Barkley turrble.

Upon further review, I think the "unprecedented" may not mean severe penalties.  It may just mean that proper channels and steps, ie: Independent Investigation; Letter of Inquiry; going before Infractions Committee; the appeal process, were not gone through before the penalties are handed down.  They will be slapped with Lack of Institutional Control among others.  I see loss of TV; loss of scholarships, possibly as severe as 10 per year for 3 years; post season ban.  Remember this is the NCAA.  They can do whatever they want.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

:o

If Emmert enacts whatever his unprecedented punishment is, PSU will/should immediately file petition for an immediate injunction.  This move is one for public display and power testing of the NCAA.  If successful, the door will most likely be opened to an unknown, more intrusive level of institutional control, and that means all schools.  Emmert would be wise to allow the judicial system to complete its course of prosecutions and financial settlements before making such a determination, especially since PSU has/is making significant program changes, but they need to do much more and fast.  One step that PSU should make is a complete change in their board, possibly including the president, not as a conciliatory measure, but one that would truly change the rule of authority and attachment to their short-term legacy.  They are having difficulty focusing on their long-term status because of their blinded love of Joe Pa.

No way in Hell will Penn St appeal anything.  They are guilty as sin and they know it.  They still have a couple more criminal trials, then the civil trials to go thru.  They do not want to drag this out any longer by filing for an injuction or an appeal.  Any new facts that come out after tomorrow will not make PSU look any better.  My guess is this thing is only going to get worse.

Sounds like it will be very harsh. I have gone back and forth how I feel about that. What went on was beyond deplorable and the people involved deserve to be in the nastiest prison in the world. I'm just not sure the player's deserve to be penalized.

Upon further review, I think the "unprecedented" may not mean severe penalties.  It may just mean that proper channels and steps, ie: Independent Investigation; Letter of Inquiry; going before Infractions Committee; the appeal process, were not gone through before the penalties are handed down.  They will be slapped with Lack of Institutional Control among others.  I see loss of TV; loss of scholarships, possibly as severe as 10 per year for 3 years; post season ban.  Remember this is the NCAA.  They can do whatever they want.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

If Emmert enacts whatever his unprecedented punishment is, PSU will/should immediately file petition for an immediate injunction.  This move is one for public display and power testing of the NCAA.  If successful, the door will most likely be opened to an unknown, more intrusive level of institutional control, and that means all schools.  Emmert would be wise to allow the judicial system to complete its course of prosecutions and financial settlements before making such a determination, especially since PSU has/is making significant program changes, but they need to do much more and fast.  One step that PSU should make is a complete change in their board, possibly including the president, not as a conciliatory measure, but one that would truly change the rule of authority and attachment to their short-term legacy.  They are having difficulty focusing on their long-term status because of their blinded love of Joe Pa.

No way in Hell will Penn St appeal anything.  They are guilty as sin and they know it.  They still have a couple more criminal trials, then the civil trials to go thru.  They do not want to drag this out any longer by filing for an injuction or an appeal.  Any new facts that come out after tomorrow will not make PSU look any better.  My guess is this thing is only going to get worse.

Penn State would do very very good to appeal any NCAA ruling. It is simply not NCAA sanction turf. Penn State did not gain any advantage on the field or in recruiting. That is the NCAA's area. NCAA should keep their nose out of it and let the state of Pennsylvania handle it. Any self imposed penalties should, would, could take the place of anything the NCAA would say. What happened was a travesty and a terrible, terrible act against children, morality, and decency. But, it was a crime against man, not against NCAA policy.

If someone knows of an NCAA law or bylaw that can correct my notion, I am more than happy to contract my statement or argue as to why it should or shouldn't be the NCAA's position to judge in this case.

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a moment and ask an unpopular question even though emotions on this subject are running extremely high in this thread.

Why is the NCAA even involved? Isn't this a criminal investigation and not an NCAA rules violation?

I believe the NCAA feels that the administration had a duty and that they failed to fulfill that duty.  I believe the NCAA wants to send an unmistakable message that criminal conduct within the athletic department at university must be reported to authorities and never covered up in order to "protect the program".

Penn State would do very very good to appeal any NCAA ruling. It is simply not NCAA sanction turf. Penn State did not gain any advantage on the field or in recruiting. That is the NCAA's area. NCAA should keep their nose out of it and let the state of Pennsylvania handle it. Any self imposed penalties should, would, could take the place of anything the NCAA would say. What happened was a travesty and a terrible, terrible act against children, morality, and decency. But, it was a crime against man, not against NCAA policy.

If someone knows of an NCAA law or bylaw that can correct my notion, I am more than happy to contract my statement or argue as to why it should or shouldn't be the NCAA's position to judge in this case.

Lack of institutional control...

Ethics violations...

There's two right there.

Ethics violations...

There's two right there.

Both of which are either gray areas in this situation, or unaffiliated all together. Lack of institutional control refers to(if I am not mistaken) the area referring to boosters, bonuses, money handshakes, among other things(See Miami and tOSU). PSU did exhibit a massive lack of institutional control, however, it did not increase the likelihood of PSU getting a 5* recruit, nor did it result in extra wins or an advantage on the playing field.

Ethics violations, and you will have to refresh my memory, how does it apply to an NCAA ruling when an advantage is not gained? Again, here PSU clearly violated ethics, however what did they gain if anything on the field or in recruiting?

The fact that they didn't turn him in to save face could be something applied in the field of ethics violation. Maybe it could be said that they gained an advantage in recruiting by not turning in the biggest story in PSU history? All the same, I see this first as a crime against man, and then perhaps a conference or institutional violation, rather than NCAA policy violation.

This is my opinion, for which I am entitled, but I simply in no way (at least right now) see this as a NCAA matter. PSU is a college which makes them vulnerable to the NCAA, but not everything is fair game simply because they are a collegiate sports governing body. Again, I see this as a terrible, terrible crime against man, not NCAA policy.

Ethics violations...

There's two right there.

Both of which are either gray areas in this situation, or unaffiliated all together. Lack of institutional control refers to(if I am not mistaken) the area referring to boosters, bonuses, money handshakes, among other things(See Miami and tOSU). PSU did exhibit a massive lack of institutional control, however, it did not increase the likelihood of PSU getting a 5* recruit, nor did it result in extra wins or an advantage on the playing field.

Ethics violations, and you will have to refresh my memory, how does it apply to an NCAA ruling when an advantage is not gained? Again, here PSU clearly violated ethics, however what did they gain if anything on the field or in recruiting?

The fact that they didn't turn him in to save face could be something applied in the field of ethics violation. Maybe it could be said that they gained an advantage in recruiting by not turning in the biggest story in PSU history? All the same, I see this first as a crime against man, and then perhaps a conference or institutional violation, rather than NCAA policy violation.

This is my opinion, for which I am entitled, but I simply in no way (at least right now) see this as a NCAA matter. PSU is a college which makes them vulnerable to the NCAA, but not everything is fair game simply because they are a collegiate sports governing body. Again, I see this as a terrible, terrible crime against man, not NCAA policy.

Institutional Control includes Ethics Clauses.  The NCAA Bylaw is posted earlier in this thread.  Read it and you can see where it could possibly be applied to this case. 

Ethics violations...

There's two right there.

Institutional Control includes Ethics Clauses.  The NCAA Bylaw is posted earlier in this thread.  Read it and you can see where it could possibly be applied to this case. 

Also PSU would be wise not to fight any sanctions. Best thing for them to do is take your lumps and move on as best as they can.

Ethics violations...

There's two right there.

The NCAA rules are to govern collegiate sports programs so that no institution gains unfair advantage.  The NCAA is not charged with monitoring the extracurricular activities of the individuals.  Quote from the ESPN article: "The purpose of the NCAA is to keep a level playing field among schools and to make sure they use proper methods through scholarships and etcetera," the chair said. "This is not a case that would normally go through the process. It has nothing to do with a level playing field. It has nothing to do with whether Penn State gets advantages over other schools in recruiting or in the number of coaches or things that we normally deal with."

If the NCAA opens this door then they are attempting to grant themselves the power to adjudicate other criminal laws which are reserved for the judicial system and this will be the basis for an appeal by PSU.  One has to speculate how else this new found power might be interpreted and implemented in the future, and remember, rules expand often and greatly, contract slowly and minimally.  Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because a college-owned computer was used in a murder conspiracy ?  Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because a college-owned vehicle operated by non-licensed operator hits a pedestrian ?  Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because one coach is a tax cheat who stored his records in his office desk ?

I am not minimizing the evil that has been perpetrated by those involved by PSU officials, only emphasizing that the courts are the means of adjudication, not the NCAA and this is an attempt to save face only.

But this bylaw governs institutional control of program equity, not criminal actions.  The purpose of this bylaw is to ensure one program does not have an unfair advantage in its operation over others.  How do these crimes provide advantage to PSU ? 

Emmert is circumventing the NCAA bylaws in an effort to "do something" before the public eye, ie., to appear relevant.  Everyone is outraged and rightfully so but the judicial system is the proper forum, not the NCAA.

2.4 THE PRINCIPLE OF SPORTSMANSHIP AND ETHICAL CONDUCT

For intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants, to enhance the integrity of  

higher education and to promote civility in society, student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with    

these athletics programs and events should adhere to such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility,

honesty and responsibility. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation, but also in the

broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program. It is the responsibility of each institution to:

(Revised: 1/9/96)

(a) Establish policies for sportsmanship and ethical conduct in intercollegiate athletics consistent with the  

educational mission and goals of the institution; and (Adopted: 1/9/96)

(B) Educate, on a continuing basis, all constituencies about the policies in Constitution 2.4-(a).

(Adopted: 1/9/96)

Thanks a4e, I had not noticed that before. I do see the possibilities there now. But, I think I will stand by my "NCAA should stay out in this instance" though. Given, there were many mistakes made by the staff and institution along this dark path, but in its simplest form, this crime was committed by one man, and expounded on by many others. So, essentially what I'm thinking is...why should so many people suffer for the crimes of so few? I am referring to the players, coaches, fans, etc. that had no way of knowing, stopping, or affecting the crime at all.

So the law that the NCAA will use is roughly similar to the one that the NCAA will and has used against Miami, had used against tOSU, correct? If so, the crimes themselves are in no way similar, but the schools will suffer very similar fates. Sounds like PSU might get it worse. I get why tOSU for instance should have wins removed, lost recruits, or have bowl bans. It directly affected recruiting and gameplay in that case (same with Miami). PSU players and staff indirectly involved will suffer a penalty having never gained any advantage from the crime.

If another NCAA law is applied, then I suppose I will have to wait to pass my very insignificant judgement.

Guys, Im going to keep saying this so no one misinterprets my intentions. I hate this crime so very much. It was indecent, immoral, and unthinkable. I do not defend it in anyway possible, nor am I defending PSU, rather defending every institution that could face a similar situation. I dislike the misuse of power, be it a man over an innocent child, or a governing body over its members and people.

War Eagle!

But this bylaw governs institutional control of program equity, not criminal actions.  The purpose of this bylaw is to ensure one program does not have an unfair advantage in its operation over others.  How do these crimes provide advantage to PSU ? 

Emmert is circumventing the NCAA bylaws in an effort to "do something" before the public eye, ie., to appear relevant.  Everyone is outraged and rightfully so but the judicial system is the proper forum, not the NCAA.

I agree 100% with your last statement.  But, I also think there is room for the NCAA to do something within their bylaws.  Penalizing the current team is not the answer though.

ET is much more eloquently and logically arguing this point. But, his better words are my opinion. It is simply not the NCAA's position to rule here.

Should the NCAA fulfill these sanctions for the accusations involved then two immediate possibilities arise:

1) PSU will file suit against the NCAA for improper enforcement of its bylaws and probably reap financial compensation for such;

2) the NCAA will now expand its authority in the name of "protection" into the governance of all schools in an insidious manner.

Both outcomes will be bad.  Emmert is attempting to play chess when he should stick with checkers.

Although the PSU situation is extremely disgusting and I hope Sandusky rots in prison, the NCAA has no business handing down penalties to any athletic program for it.  It's giving the NCAA unprecedented power that they can impose penalties on any crime a player commits while enrolled in school.

The only penalty I see as acceptable is the public hanging of Sandusky!!!

I have to say this, my heart truly grieves for those assaulted by Sandusky.  Over the years a few women whom I dated were assaulted similarly and their lives were ruined, irretrievably, and to the point of suicide attempts.  Relationships are difficult for them and they endure self abhorrence 24/7.  Their lives have been destroyed by such heinous acts, period.  On the outside they carry themselves as normal but inside are tormented. 

These "men" (the coaches) at PSU acted in self interest and avarice to make PSU look good and thereby themselves.  They are to be scorned and eradicated, not tolerated, EVER.  What they did in secrecy was evil that must be fully exposed for what it is.  PSU needs to be turned upside down and its pockets shaken clean but only the courts will be able to do so to the fullest extent.

About the competitive advantage issue, do you think PSU would have suffered in recruiting if this had of been handled properly in the beginning, when Sandusky was the DC and assistant HC?  Do you think it would have affected their prez's, vp's, ad's, or Paterno's longevity at PSU?

A pr hit like that could have had any number of consequences for PSU, most all of them negative.  That is why it was covered up.

I totally agree with others that the NCAA has no business sticking their nose in this. Sandusky committed felonious crimes and has been convicted but did not violate any NCAA rules that I am aware of. If they are allowed to take on the task of being a law enforcement agency it will be opening Pandora's box. They have enough on their plate already without adding that responsibility. Hell, they can't even stay up with all their own rule violations much less adding criminal cases. I just wonder if they will ever get around to UAT. God only knows what is going on there. If and when they do get to bama, I hope their investigation is as extensive as what they put Auburn and Cam Newton through.

All schools agree to the bylaws, so therefore  the NCAA has a right to uphold any parts that a member institution fails to uphold.  There's a posted section of these bylaws (the whole is easily found online) back on page 2.  Penn State (The School) violated  these, and failed to educate it's staff afterward. These could very well  be violations of  2.4, 2.4a. and 2.4b, .  If so thereby the NCAA would have rights to act under 2.8.  of it's bylaws.

I believe (IMHO) some are confusing legal remedy under the law... with enforcement of articles in what's normally called a 'morals clause'.  This organization (the NCAA) has that base covered, and is quite likely to enforce this clause as a breech in it's rules of conduct.  Not under the guise of adjudication of criminal law, which is (most) certainly reserved for our judicial system.  This is a matter of breaking the rules of conduct of the organization, and as such the NCAA can remedy the situation in a number of ways. 

Penn State doesn't  have to like it, and probably needs to be cautious not to cause even more sever penalties... For any attempt to sidestep the NCAA's enforcement, could be taken as a further continuation or failure in it's agreed upon duties as a member institution.  This would not be the criminal or civil prosecution, but an in public Bitch-Slap by all their associated Colleges and Universities, and merely conducted by the NCAA.

Archived