PSU SANCTIONS AND PATERNO

Elephant Tipper

Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?   

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon further review, I think the "unprecedented" may not mean severe penalties.  It may just mean that proper channels and steps, ie: Independent Investigation; Letter of Inquiry; going before Infractions Committee; the appeal process, were not gone through before the penalties are handed down.  They will be slapped with Lack of Institutional Control among others.  I see loss of TV; loss of scholarships, possibly as severe as 10 per year for 3 years; post season ban.  Remember this is the NCAA.  They can do whatever they want.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

:o

One things for certain, Roof should've stayed at UCF.

Nah, if they get bad sanctions...he will have a "reason" for poor performance...it buys him a few years at least of a good paying job

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a moment and ask an unpopular question even though emotions on this subject are running extremely high in this thread.

Why is the NCAA even involved? Isn't this a criminal investigation and not an NCAA rules violation?

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a moment and ask an unpopular question even though emotions on this subject are running extremely high in this thread.

Why is the NCAA even involved? Isn't this a criminal investigation and not an NCAA rules violation?

The gest of it is the NCAA is concerned because of a lack of institutional control and ethics violations.

The gest of it is the NCAA is concerned because of a lack of institutional control and ethics violations.

I get that. But if these sanctions are handed down without the proper protocol being utilized, as far as a proper investigation being done, this sets a bad precedent. Who's to say that if they are allowed to hand down punishment without an investigation, that they will not have a problem doing it to another school, if they feel the need?

Again, just playing devils advocate. I AM NOT SIDING WITH PENN STATE ON THIS IN THE LEAST.

If I am your employer and you commit a felony, should I fire you?

If you belong to a club and you commit a crime, should you get kicked out?

Grambling should've remained silent. If that is their concern, they should be embarrassed.

IMO, surely there is a moral imperative to protect the young people who come into the scope of your program through any member of your athletic department. There have been failures at every possible level of this.

Paterno had knowledge and that has been proven. Bad acts, can and will trump the good work a person has done in their life.

This record may or may not come into the NCAA penalty decision. It is symbolic at best. When the name is now heard, it will forever be associated with his inaction and it should. He could easily have done the right thing and it was only a phone call away.

I get that. But if these sanctions are handed down without the proper protocol being utilized, as far as a proper investigation being done, this sets a bad precedent. Who's to say that if they are allowed to hand down punishment without an investigation, that they will not have a problem doing it to another school, if they feel the need?

Again, just playing devils advocate. I AM NOT SIDING WITH PENN STATE ON THIS IN THE LEAST.

Louis Freeh was commissioned by PSU to do an impartial investigation.  He released it and that is what you heard about a week or so ago.  It was very damaging to PSU.

No one can afford to have the perception as being light on the situation. The NCAA has to do something drastic even though this might not have increased the chances of getting recruits and what not....it was tied to athletics in some form.

Child Sexual Harassment is one of those things that if it is even ALLEGED and you are acquitted....people wont look at you the same....being proven guilty and having outside reports state the level and depth of cover up makes PSU look like a monster.

Any organization that doesn't do whatever possible to make it CLEAR as day that they will not stand for that is going to be listed as guilty by association.

Agree or not, I hope the NCAA lights them up from head to toe.

The fact that the students and alumni are standing by the people that had something to do with it makes me incredibly worried about our country's future.

There is no doubt criminal activity transpired, as the recent trial of Mr Sandusky has concluded.   This was not the discussion at hand.  We are merely discussing the City of Grambling, and it's request for the NCAA to remove possible wins as a result facts uncovered during this prosecution.  Which is something entirely within their mandate:

Actually it is the essence of this discussion for without such there would be no cause for the action you suggest.  A criminal offense was perpetrated and then protected.  Is there another issue that is being overlooked, otherwise it is a criminal matter that will and should be settled in the courts, not by the NCAA.  

The judicial system of Pennsylvania will appropriately handle the matter, not the NCAA, and will deliver far more punishment than the NCAA could contemplate.  PSU is about to be dealt a death blow financially (hundreds of millions of dollars), those who assisted in the cover up will go to jail (10-20 years), and Paterno's name will go down in infamy and hopefully be expunged from the minds and records of all.  The NCAA has no power in comparison.  

EDIT: And Sandusky should be executed.  I am of the firm conviction that the death penalty stops crime, one person at the time.

Just throw him in the state pen in general lockup. He won't survive the week, and the tax payers don't have to pay for his appeals or his execution.

No one can afford to have the perception as being light on the situation. The NCAA has to do something drastic even though this might not have increased the chances of getting recruits and what not....it was tied to athletics in some form.

Child Sexual Harassment is one of those things that if it is even ALLEGED and you are acquitted....people wont look at you the same....being proven guilty and having outside reports state the level and depth of cover up makes PSU look like a monster.

Any organization that doesn't do whatever possible to make it CLEAR as day that they will not stand for that is going to be listed as guilty by association.

The fact that the students and alumni are standing by the people that had something to do with it makes me incredibly worried about our country's future.

I NEVER SAID THAT I DIDN'T AGREE, I AM JUST ASKING THE QUESTION. AGAIN, I AM NOT SIDING WITH PENN STATE.

I NEVER SAID THAT I DIDN'T AGREE, I AM JUST ASKING THE QUESTION. AGAIN, I AM NOT SIDING WITH PENN STATE.

I didn't say that you were siding with them. I thought I was answering your question. Your question was why is the NCAA getting involved in something that is a criminal investigation. My response was stating why the NCAA and everyone that does any sort of business with the school is doing what they are doing.

I didn't say that you were siding with them. I thought I was answering your question. Your question was why is the NCAA getting involved in something that is a criminal investigation. My response was stating why the NCAA and everyone that does any sort of business with the school is doing what they are doing.

Oh I know. Don't take my all caps to mean I was yelling. I just know that there are some on this board that will eventually post some stupid comment about how I am siding with them without reading through my posts. Sorry if it sounded as if I was yelling.

Grambling should've remained silent. If that is their concern, they should be embarrassed.

IMO, surely there is a moral imperative to protect the young people who come into the scope of your program through any member of your athletic department. There have been failures at every possible level of this.

Paterno had knowledge and that has been proven. Bad acts, can and will trump the good work a person has done in their life.

This record may or may not come into the NCAA penalty decision. It is symbolic at best. When the name is now heard, it will forever be associated with his inaction and it should. He could easily have done the right thing and it was only a phone call away.

+1  Avarice/self interest kept Paterno from dialing.

I personally think they should have kept the statue in remembrance of college football's all time most victorious coach, but I wanted to hear what y'alls opinion about was.

I don't think anyone should honor a man who looked the other way while boys were being raped or sexually abused.

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

I'm all for a university recognizing victorious coaches or players via statues.  But sadly Joe Paternos legacy was shadowed by a tragedy far worse than a removal of a statue.  Penn State was contaminated with the dirtyness of looking the other way and major decontamination has to happen, thus the removal of the statue.  This is just scratching the surface of the PSU cleaning process.

Upon further review, I think the "unprecedented" may not mean severe penalties.  It may just mean that proper channels and steps, ie: Independent Investigation; Letter of Inquiry; going before Infractions Committee; the appeal process, were not gone through before the penalties are handed down.  They will be slapped with Lack of Institutional Control among others.  I see loss of TV; loss of scholarships, possibly as severe as 10 per year for 3 years; post season ban.  Remember this is the NCAA.  They can do whatever they want.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

If Emmert enacts whatever his unprecedented punishment is, PSU will/should immediately file petition for an immediate injunction.  This move is one for public display and power testing of the NCAA.  If successful, the door will most likely be opened to an unknown, more intrusive level of institutional control, and that means all schools.  Emmert would be wise to allow the judicial system to complete its course of prosecutions and financial settlements before making such a determination, especially since PSU has/is making significant program changes, but they need to do much more and fast.  One step that PSU should make is a complete change in their board, possibly including the president, not as a conciliatory measure, but one that would truly change the rule of authority and attachment to their short-term legacy.  They are having difficulty focusing on their long-term status because of their blinded love of Joe Pa.

Paterno put his school and football program's importance above that of protecting young boys that couldn't protect themselves. For that, no he shouldn't be honored in any way. I believe a great historical book said something about it being better for a millstone to be tied around someone's neck and be thrown into the sea, than for someone to cause harm to the little ones.

Where is the option for moving it to another location?

Where is the option for smashing it to smithereens ?

That would be apart of the removing it option.  ;)

If Emmert enacts whatever his unprecedented punishment is, PSU will/should immediately file petition for an immediate injunction.  This move is one for public display and power testing of the NCAA.  If successful, the door will most likely be opened to an unknown, more intrusive level of institutional control, and that means all schools.  Emmert would be wise to allow the judicial system to complete its course of prosecutions and financial settlements before making such a determination, especially since PSU has/is making significant program changes, but they need to do much more and fast.  One step that PSU should make is a complete change in their board, possibly including the president, not as a conciliatory measure, but one that would truly change the rule of authority and attachment to their short-term legacy.  They are having difficulty focusing on their long-term status because of their blinded love of Joe Pa.

That's really been the biggest problem....Joe Pa the enabler with all the power.

I'm all for a university recognizing victorious coaches or players via statues.  But sadly Joe Paternos legacy was shadowed by a tragedy far worse than a removal of a statue.  Penn State was contaminated with the dirtyness of looking the other way and major decontamination has to happen, thus the removal of the statue.  This is just scratching the surface of the PSU cleaning process.

Amen!

Archived