Eric Smith had a major impact in 2010.

aushrink

I was watching the 2010 games (must be football withdrawl) and I never noticed ( at the time) how big of an impact that Eric Smith made in our offensive attack. He made block after block in both the passing and the running game.

No wonder there was such a drop off in 2011. It was not just the absence of Cam and the senior OL.

Smith was a difference maker on offense.

I hope Prosch can do the same.

Not only was he a brutal blocker, I remember a great catch he made slanting across the middle on 3rd and long to sustain our first TD drive in a game we were otherwise struggling mightily and trailing in... was it WVU in '09 or Clermson in '10?  He stretched out to catch a bullet on a full gallop and never broke stride... no gator arms for Eric.

I hope Eric landed on his feet but can't wait to see Eric 2.0 aka Prosch out there this year. Dude is a mini OL in the back field.

I saw I believe it was Ben Tate on twitter saying he was proud of him(E.Smith) for graduating and staying on the track.

That is wonderful for Eric!

I'm very glad to hear he got his life turned around and graduated but unlike a lot of the posters in this thread I didn't miss him in the least last year.  There haven't been many Auburn players in my 34 years that made me ashamed of my teams actions but Smith was one while he was playing for us.  I will never forget how much I wanted to wring that kid's neck after he kicked that Oregon player in the head during the NCG. 

Again, he is part of the AU family so I will always wish the best for him and like I said I am very happy he's turned things around but AU doesn't need to have that kind of player on the field.

Its a fine line between playing with a mean streak and playing dirty. Both Fairley and Smith were always tip toeing that line. I wouldn't be to hard on the guy for stepping over the line once or twice. Now if it was a common occurance then yeah we don't want that guy. But you gotta be mean on the field to be successful.

Its a fine line between playing with a mean streak and playing dirty. Both Fairley and Smith were always tip toeing that line. I wouldn't be to hard on the guy for stepping over the line once or twice. Now if it was a common occurance then yeah we don't want that guy. But you gotta be mean on the field to be successful.

GraveJD, I agree with the assertion that there's a fine line between playing with a mean streak and playing dirty but in my opinion on ly Fairley was tip toeing around that line.  I saw too many flagrant personal fouls by Smith throughout the year that couldn't be chalked up to simple over exuberance like I saw with Fairley. 

Eric Smith just could not put a lid on his aggressiveness.

With that aside, he was by far one of my favorite players to watch the past couple of years. Talk about a headhunter that could pave the way..

GraveJD, I agree with the assertion that there's a fine line between playing with a mean streak and playing dirty but in my opinion on ly Fairley was tip toeing around that line.   I saw too many flagrant personal fouls by Smith throughout the year that couldn't be chalked up to simple over exuberance like I saw with Fairley.   

A side note to the "kick in the NCG" that most people seem to have missed is that on a previous play, the Oregon player that Eric kicked, had taken a shot at Eric's......groin area, supposedly. It doesn't mean that he should have retaliated. But it made the "kick" more understandable. But, he certainly pushed our offense back a few times though in his career due to personal fouls. I actually liked having an enforcer on the team that opposing teams wanted nothing to do with. Players like him are absolutely necessary to winning big games. He filled that role nicely. Just could have done without the PF penalties.

War Eagle Eric!

I hope Eric landed on his feet but can't wait to see Eric 2.0 aka Prosch out there this year. Dude is a mini OL in the back field.

Prosch=Alstott

He was defintely a part of the 2010 success. He was a great blocker and one thing i clearly remember about Eric is that he had a suprisingly good pair of hands for a kid of his build. I remember his making some really surprising catches over the course of the season. Wish him the best.

You know a lot of people remember his hands, but all I remember is his dropped passes. 

I think Prosch is on another level as far as fullback goes.  I can't wait to see him out there.

Archived