More GOP voter suppression tactics

CShine

Citing a new list of more than 37,000 questionable addresses, the state Republican Party demanded Saturday that Milwaukee city officials require identification from all of those voters Tuesday.

If the city doesn't, the party says it is prepared to have volunteers challenge each individual - including thousands who might be missing an apartment number on their registration - at the polls.

The move, which dramatically escalates the party's claims of bad addresses and potential fraud, was condemned by Democrats as a last-minute effort to suppress turnout in the city by creating long delays at the polls.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct04/271173.asp

The fact that 37,000 letters came back with 'not a valid address' stamped on them doesn't even raise your eyebrow?

If in fact some of those people did not write down their address correctly, they're too inept to vote anyhow. I checked over my registration form 3x before I turned it in.

Why are the Dems whining? Looking at the polls, theres a chance half of those people were voting for Bush anyways (if they really do exist... if they don't exist, I could guess whos getting the votes).

Yeah right, the GOP announces this little stunt only three days before the election. Suddenly, they're expecting the state to change it's election procedure on no notice. Think they could've asked for this, say, at least a few weeks ahead of time? No chance, cuz if they did that then they wouldn't get to do what they reallty want, challenge voters personally.

Basic GOP strategy: make a huge and sweeping demand for change throughout the system and make it at the very last minute so the state cannot possibly deliver on the request. That opens the door for them to personally challenge people and create a mob scene at polling places all over the state. This last minute garbage was deliberately designed so the state couldn't have a chance to change and they could do what they've wanted to do all along, suppress voter turnout.

Bravo GOP! The world sees you for the enemy of democracy that you really are!

Yeah right, the GOP announces this little stunt only three days before the election. Suddenly, they're expecting the state to change it's election procedure on no notice. Think they could've asked for this, say, at least a few weeks ahead of time? No chance, cuz if they did that then they wouldn't get to do what they reallty want, challenge voters personally.

Basic GOP strategy: make a huge and sweeping demand for change throughout the system and make it at the very last minute so the state cannot possibly deliver on the request. That opens the door for them to personally challenge people and create a mob scene at polling places all over the state. This last minute garbage was deliberately designed so the state couldn't have a chance to change and they could do what they've wanted to do all along, suppress voter turnout.

116915[/snapback]

What he said.

116915[/snapback]

This "stunt" was brought to light over 2 weeks ago. Huge sweeping demand for change? 48 other states get it right, why cant this one? (Another topic, but there really ought to be a national election procedure to clear up the hanging chads and issues such as this). I'm not exactly sure how youre envisioning a mob scene created by a few people knocking on doors to double check registration status... A mob scene will be created by all the Kerry lawyers suing anything and everything after Bush wins.

Basic Dem strategy: Lie, cheat, and pick on 6 year old girls! :o;)

This "stunt" was brought to light over 2 weeks ago. 

116923[/snapback]

Wrong. Read the story. The Wisconsin GOP made this ID demand just yesterday.

A better title for this thread would be more "Chicken Little Bulls**t From the Democrats".

116939[/snapback]

Better still: "Republicans don't give a sh#t about democracy unless they are trying to come up with a snappy marketing campaign for a failing war."

I find it interesting that none of you crying libs have any problem with many of the addresses being non-existent. Just that the GOP has a problem with it. You only b$%#* about the "timing." You whiners are pathetic! :rolleyes:

I do believe that most states have provisional ballot laws to deal with situations where a person's registration is in question. If anyone shows up to the polls with one of these non-existant addresses on their "registration", could they not cast a provisional ballot contingent upon their registration checking out?

Why does the prospect of 37,000 registrations from non-existant addresses not bother the Democrats more? I mean, does this not scream VOTER FRAUD to anyone with walking around sense?

When there is a clear effort being made to deceive and tamper w/ this election by the Dems, all they care about is the timing that the GOP has discovered their plot ? Gee, how inconvienant. Already groups like ACORN and Unity'04 have been nailed for illegal voter registration, and still the Dems think this is a plot by the GOP? Yeah, it's a plot all right.... a plot to have FAIR ELECTIONS. Guess the Dems simply don't care about that. All they want is their power back, regardless of how they obtain it.

If their addresses were the local cemetery there would be no Democratic outcry at all. In Alabama, we have been there, done that.

I do believe that most states have provisional ballot laws to deal with situations where a person's registration is in question.  If anyone shows up to the polls with one of these non-existant addresses on their "registration", could they not cast a provisional ballot contingent upon their registration checking out?

Why does the prospect of 37,000 registrations from non-existant addresses not bother the Democrats more?  I mean, does this not scream VOTER FRAUD to anyone with walking around sense?

116968[/snapback]

When there is genuine evidence of fraud, you bet. When one party just goes fishing hoping to get voters off of the voter rolls, that sucks.

This is an old GOP trick. They send registered mail, primarily to minority voters, and if the person refuses to sign, they say it is evidence that the person doesn't exist. I heard the following hearing the other day on the radio. Voters had to go to a hearing to "prove" they existed because a GOP official challenged almost 1000 voters whom she had no personal knowledge were legit or not.

ELECTION BOARD THROWS OUT 976 CHALLENGES BY REPUBLICAN PARTY

GOP Challenger Barbara Miller Could be Indicted on Felony Charges

AKRON, Ohio - The Summit County Board of Elections abruptly threw out 976 challenges of voter eligibility by the Republican Party today after Barbara Miller, the challenger, revealed that she did not have any personal information about the eligibility of any of the challenged voters.

Instead, Miller said that her challenges were based on a list of "undeliverable mail" given to her by the Republican Party. The list was based on a GOP mailing sent to registered voters throughout the state of Ohio.

After Miller presented this as her evidence, Russell Pry, Summit County Election Board member, told her that she could be indicted for signing a sworn challenge without any personal knowledge about the eligibility of the voters. Miller's reaction was to plead the Fifth Amendment.

Catherine Herold, the first voter challenged at the hearing, told the board that she believes that she was on the undeliverable list because she "refused the letter when she saw that it came from the Republican Party." She and many others expressed anger that their eligibility had been challenged - which could force them to vote by provisional ballot on Nov. 2.

"This is an outrage," Herold said. "I feel as if I am being called a liar for claiming to live at my address."

The Summit County Board of Elections has indicated that they plan to call in the Department of Justice to conduct a criminal investigation of the challenges.

Following is an excerpt from a transcript of today's hearing

EXCERPT FROM TODAY'S SUMMIT COUNTY ELECTION BOARD HEARING:

General 2004 :: Thu Oct 28th, 2004 at 07:28:44 PM EST

Mr. PRY:               Ms. Miller, you filed a challenge to the voting residence of

Catherine Ann Herold, who lives at 238 30th Street Northwest, Barberton, Summit County, Ohio; is that correct?

MS. MILLER:       I did.

MR. PRY:              And have you ever been to that residence?

MS. MILLER:       No.

MR. PRY:               Do you know Catherine Ann Herrold?

MS. MILLER:       No, I don't.

MR. PRY:              You have indicated in this challenge form that the person - that you believe that she does not live at that residence; is that correct?

MS. MILLER:       That's correct.

MR. PRY:              And what is the basis for you making this challenge?

MS. MILLER:       That was my impression that these items that I signed were for people whose mail had been undeliverable for several times, and that they did not live at the residence.

MR. PRY:              Did you personally send any mail to Ms. Herrold?

MS. MILLER:       No, I did not.

MR. PRY:               Have you seen any mail that was returned to Ms. Herrold?

MS. MILLER:       No, I have not.

MR. PRY:              Do you have any personal knowledge as we stand here today that Ms. Herrold does not live at the address at 238 30th Street Northwest?

MS. MILLER:       Only that which was my impression; that their mail had not been able to be delivered.

MR. PRY:              And who gave you that impression?

MS. MILLER:       Attorney Jim Simon.

MR. PRY:              And what did --

MS. MILLER:       He's an officer of the party.

MR. PRY:              An officer of which party?

MS. MILLER:       Republican party.

MR. PRY:              Where did you complete this challenge form at?

MS. MILLER:       My home.

MR. PRY:              What did Mr. Simon tell you with respect to Ms. Herrold's residence?

MS. MILLER:       That the mail had come back undeliverable several times from that residence.

MR. PRY:              And you never saw the returned mail?

MS. MILLER:       No, I did not.

MR. PRY:              Now, you've indicated that you signed this based on some personal knowledge.

What is WRONG with expecting voters to have valid addresses? The purpose of this action is not to intimidate, but to minimize voter fraud. Voter fraud is a TACTIC used by the demoncratic party for decades. The first JFK was elected as a direct result of voter fraud in Chicago, under the direction of demoncratic Chicago Mayor Daly. Why is there no outrage over voter fraud, but demoncratic outrage over efforts to eliminate it?????

I sincerely believe we are going to have to implement a "National Voter ID Policy", something that uses an unique ID and a powerful computer database to minimize voter fraud. This, along with substantial penalties for those who attempt fraud (jail time and loss of voting rights altogether) might just return the electoral process to the people.

This "stunt" was brought to light over 2 weeks ago. 

116923[/snapback]

Wrong. Read the story. The Wisconsin GOP made this ID demand just yesterday.

116941[/snapback]

Maybe they just formally demanded it yesterday, but the whole thing was brought up a while back including discussion on how to handle it. The article I read stated they wanted to go knock on a few doors just to verify that these places actually existed.

How can you blame them for not doing anything about it? If 37000 phantom names suddenly appeared supporting republicans, the dems would be all over that like stink on (insert smelly object here). The whole thing is rediculous in my opinion. Its 2004, and we're using 1900 voting technology.

for a failing war."

116953[/snapback]

Hmm.... Last time I checked, we would have to be LOSING the war to consider it a failure. Do you need a towel to dry off? Your brain has been completely washed, wouldnt want you to catch a cold.

for a failing war."

116953[/snapback]

Hmm.... Last time I checked, we would have to be LOSING the war to consider it a failure. Do you need a towel to dry off? Your brain has been completely washed, wouldnt want you to catch a cold.

117018[/snapback]

Given the expectations set up by the Neocons-- "cake walk"; "greeted as liberators," I'd say we've fallen short. Bush told Pat Robertson we would have no casualties. Over 1,100 deaths and counting, thousands of serious injuries. We blew things up very well. If that's winning, we won. Our military did very well, but if you think we're headed toward establishing a beacon of democracy in the Middle East, you've been brainwashed.

What is WRONG with expecting voters to have valid addresses?  The purpose of this action is not to intimidate, but to minimize voter fraud.  Voter fraud is a TACTIC used by the demoncratic party for decades.  The first JFK was elected as a direct result of voter fraud in Chicago, under the direction of demoncratic Chicago Mayor Daly.  Why is there no outrage over voter fraud, but demoncratic outrage over efforts to eliminate it?????

I sincerely believe we are going to have to implement a "National Voter ID Policy", something that uses an unique ID and a powerful computer database to minimize voter fraud.  This, along with substantial penalties for those who attempt fraud (jail time and loss of voting rights altogether) might just return the electoral process to the people.

117014[/snapback]

If not for Mayor Daly, we could have had Nixon resign in 1966. But seriously,

one of the ladies in the Ohio case had lived in the same precinct as the lady challenging her for over 30 years. She just didn't want to sign for a GOP mail item. What if you refused to sign for a registered letter from Michael Moore and he challenged your existence because of that and you had to go to a hearing to prove you existed? Sure, fraud needs to be addressed. And I have no problem with people presenting valid IDs.

With all the idocy surrounding the demoncratic party and voting fraud, I can't believe you were gullible enough to even post this. But then again, as we ponder this, we could surmise that you were paid to post it.....in CRACK COCAINE!!!!

BwAAAAAAAHHHHHH. :roflol::football:

:poke: See how easy it is!

I do believe that most states have provisional ballot laws to deal with situations where a person's registration is in question.  If anyone shows up to the polls with one of these non-existant addresses on their "registration", could they not cast a provisional ballot contingent upon their registration checking out?

Why does the prospect of 37,000 registrations from non-existant addresses not bother the Democrats more?  I mean, does this not scream VOTER FRAUD to anyone with walking around sense?

116968[/snapback]

When there is genuine evidence of fraud, you bet. When one party just goes fishing hoping to get voters off of the voter rolls, that sucks.

This is an old GOP trick. They send registered mail, primarily to minority voters, and if the person refuses to sign, they say it is evidence that the person doesn't exist. I heard the following hearing the other day on the radio. Voters had to go to a hearing to "prove" they existed because a GOP official challenged almost 1000 voters whom she had no personal knowledge were legit or not.

Actually, your red herring aside, this is not what happened in this situation. Stick to the original subject. They ran a CASS certification on the addresses. This is the most widely accepted address check around. We run one every time we do a mass promotional mailing here at our company. We have a database of 50,000 or so leads from people who have inquired about our music. We add our active customer list and often use one of the major industry trade magazine subscriber lists. First they run a merge/purge to get rid of duplicates between the three lists. Then they run a CASS certification with software provided by the US Postal Service to get rid of bad or non-existant addresses.

Do you not see a problem with 37,000 non-existant addresses, or at least addresses suspected of being phony? Maybe they decided to run it because of the common Democratic tactic of registering dead people and making up addresses to stuff the ballot box with a bunch of phony names. I'm sorry, any way you slice it, those registrations should be called into question. Let anyone who shows up to vote with one of these questionable addresses cast a provisional ballot and clear up the discrepancy.

What is WRONG with expecting voters to have valid addresses?  The purpose of this action is not to intimidate, but to minimize voter fraud.  Voter fraud is a TACTIC used by the demoncratic party for decades.  The first JFK was elected as a direct result of voter fraud in Chicago, under the direction of demoncratic Chicago Mayor Daly.  Why is there no outrage over voter fraud, but demoncratic outrage over efforts to eliminate it?????

I sincerely believe we are going to have to implement a "National Voter ID Policy", something that uses an unique ID and a powerful computer database to minimize voter fraud.  This, along with substantial penalties for those who attempt fraud (jail time and loss of voting rights altogether) might just return the electoral process to the people.

117014[/snapback]

If not for Mayor Daly, we could have had Nixon resign in 1966. But seriously,

one of the ladies in the Ohio case had lived in the same precinct as the lady challenging her for over 30 years. She just didn't want to sign for a GOP mail item. What if you refused to sign for a registered letter from Michael Moore and he challenged your existence because of that and you had to go to a hearing to prove you existed? Sure, fraud needs to be addressed. And I have no problem with people presenting valid IDs.

117034[/snapback]

In that same precint there was a case of two addresses in a block of a street that didn't exist. The the block ended somewhere around 1340, yet the addresses were for 1355 & 1356.

Anyone have a guess, without searching, who authored this rant?

Everyone here is a buncha pathetic spinmeisters who absolutely refuse to do anything other than feebly try to spin any and every story for the benefit of your own biased political views.

This thread is a perfect reminder of why I rarely come to this board anymore. Have fun you pathetically weak partisan spindoctors, and that goes for libs as well as cons.

I'll check back in a month or two to see if everyone here is still just as ridiculusly bent as they've always been. I could hardly expect any sort of RATIONAL look at the facts, not on THIS board.

(emphasis mine)

Neo-Con....You say it like it's a bad thing.... ;)

Actually, I do not identify myself as a Neo-Con and I can say truthfully that I know no one that does.

Archived