More GOP voter suppression tactics

CShine

Neo-Con....You say it like it's a bad thing.... ;)

Actually, I do not identify myself as a Neo-Con and I can say truthfully that I know no one that does.

117304[/snapback]

Okay, so you don't call yourself one. You have strongly advanced their view of the Middle East on this thread and elsewhere.

I do believe that most states have provisional ballot laws to deal with situations where a person's registration is in question.  If anyone shows up to the polls with one of these non-existant addresses on their "registration", could they not cast a provisional ballot contingent upon their registration checking out?

Why does the prospect of 37,000 registrations from non-existant addresses not bother the Democrats more?  I mean, does this not scream VOTER FRAUD to anyone with walking around sense?

116968[/snapback]

When there is genuine evidence of fraud, you bet. When one party just goes fishing hoping to get voters off of the voter rolls, that sucks.

This is an old GOP trick. They send registered mail, primarily to minority voters, and if the person refuses to sign, they say it is evidence that the person doesn't exist. I heard the following hearing the other day on the radio. Voters had to go to a hearing to "prove" they existed because a GOP official challenged almost 1000 voters whom she had no personal knowledge were legit or not.

Actually, your red herring aside, this is not what happened in this situation. Stick to the original subject. They ran a CASS certification on the addresses. This is the most widely accepted address check around. We run one every time we do a mass promotional mailing here at our company. We have a database of 50,000 or so leads from people who have inquired about our music. We add our active customer list and often use one of the major industry trade magazine subscriber lists. First they run a merge/purge to get rid of duplicates between the three lists. Then they run a CASS certification with software provided by the US Postal Service to get rid of bad or non-existant addresses.

Do you not see a problem with 37,000 non-existant addresses, or at least addresses suspected of being phony? Maybe they decided to run it because of the common Democratic tactic of registering dead people and making up addresses to stuff the ballot box with a bunch of phony names. I'm sorry, any way you slice it, those registrations should be called into question. Let anyone who shows up to vote with one of these questionable addresses cast a provisional ballot and clear up the discrepancy.

117041[/snapback]

Well, Titan, sometimes you merge common threads, other times you insist on thread purity. I can start another thread with the same name if you like.

Okay, this particular issue. You insist on using the 37,000 number. Let’s break it down.

The same list generated about 13,300 cases where incorrect apartment numbers were listed, and some 18,200 more cases where no apartment number was listed for an existing building. However, the party didn't include any of those in its original challenge, filed three minutes before the 5 p.m. Wednesday deadline.

In conjunction with the Milwaukee County district attorney's office, the city attorney's office began reviewing the 5,619 names Friday. It found many cases where an address does not exist but also hundreds where it believes an address does exist.

So 13,300 with incorrect apartment numbers and 18,200 more with an existing address, but not the apartment number. I suppose in your business you run a CASS certification to avoid wasting postage by sending material to an address that might not work. That makes sense, since it doesn’t matter to your company if that person exists if you can’t reach him with your marketing campaign. But just because that person may or may not get his mail with the address listed doesn’t mean he or she is not there and not a legitimate voter.

Why is the address wrong? Maybe the person filled out the wrong box, or perhaps even more likely the $5.15 an hour data entry clerk hit the wrong key at the voter registration office. Or perhaps the person has moved to another apartment in the complex, down the street or across town. I moved every year in college and never changed my address with the voting registrar. Maybe I was supposed to, but it didn’t effect my essential qualifications as a voter. Perhaps it would have for local elections if councilmen were chosen by district, but not in state or federal elections. Who moves the most? Renters. Disproportionately those with less money. The poor, divorced mothers, and college students.

So these people, if challenged because they moved into a two BR apartment in the same complex when they had a baby, can fill out a provisional ballot and we can have separate hearings on each of these cases. Every single one of them. Okay. Or the form they sign when they provide an ID can carry an affirmation under penalties of perjury that they have provided the correct address, if that is so important. They can have change of address forms right there and try to assure that the voting rolls are at least close to accurate. That would be a heck of a lot easier than purposely maximizing the number of provisional ballots.

The Republican plan:

If the city doesn't, the party says it is prepared to have volunteers challenge each individual - including thousands who might be missing an apartment number on their registration - at the polls.

Well, that’s efficient government.

What do you think this guy is really concerned with:

Rick Graber, state GOP chairman. "The city's records are in horrible shape."

Any inaccurate address, he said, is an opening for someone to cast a fraudulent vote. However, many of the new addresses now cited might be eligible voters who have voted for years without problems.

… Citing its expanded list, the GOP argues any address deficiency, such as no apartment number listed, constitutes an invalid registration.

He’s concerned with any inaccurate address that gives him an opening to suppress Democratic voting, not fraudulent voters.

City Attorney Grant Langley labeled the GOP request "outrageous."

"We have already uncovered hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of addresses on their (original list) that do exist," said Langley, who holds a non-partisan office. "Why should I take their word for the fact this new list is good? I'm out of the politics on this, but this is purely political."

"People certainly can come to their own conclusions," said Martha Love, chair of the Milwaukee County Democratic Party, noting a similar review was not done for Republican areas such as Bayside. "But if it's not voter intimidation or suppression, then what's the point?"

Because the GOP there isn’t concerned with fraudulent voters, and certainly not inaccurate addresses, in Republican areas—fraud is not their concern.

The city is looking into the addresses submitted before the deadline. If there is fraud there, they should be able to address it. When you throw around the figure “37,000” you’re employing a red herring, aren’t you?

I'm sorry but the poor, renters, minorities, whatever have the same ability to pick up a phone and make their address change known as anyone else. I rented for almost 5 years here in Nashville before buying my first house 4 years ago. I moved 3 times in those 5 years and my wife moved 4. Each and every time, we put through our address changes with the voter registration dept. Why is this so hard? You have to do that with all of your bills and other pertinent mail. What's one extra phone call?

In Nashville, it's even simpler. You can call or you can just take your voter registration card, fill out the address change on the back, sign it, and mail it into the voter registration dept. Within a week or two, you get a new card with the right address back in the mail. Voila! Simple as pie. You don't need a high school diploma to take care of something so easy.

I just don't think it's too much to ask that people take this seriously and keep their records up to date. It's one of the front lines of defense against voter fraud. If people can't take this seriously enough to do something they are already doing with their cable bill, their phone bill, etc, then I'm sorry, you don't get to vote in this election. And don't cry disenfranchisment. You disenfranchised yourself by being lazy and negligent. I mean, if I had forgotten to do this before election day four years ago, it would never have occurred to me to cry foul over it. It's my own damn fault for not taking care of it.

So, whether it's 37,000 or 18,000 or 13,000 or 5600 or 1000...doesn't matter (after all, FL was decided by 500 votes last time, NM was decided by 366 votes. They're all important). If the address is fishy, incomplete, or non-existant, fill out a provisional ballot and have your address checked out. Better that than fraudulent voters being allowed to take advantage of slack in the voting process.

I had to show my drivers license when I voted this morning. So did everyone else in line with me. Men, women, young and old, a variety of skin colors.... get the idea ? This is called FOLLOWING PROCEDURE. It is NOT intimidation. There is no GOP voter supression tactics going on, no intimidation at the polls, no road blocks. If you registered, on time and correctly, you're going to get to vote. In a VERY few cases, some mistakes may happen. That's just how things happen, but there is not 1930's poll tax, no 'test' to see if you can read or not, no Jim Crow laws.

The Left only wants to promote the IMAGE of these things going on, so they can dupe more folks into accepting the post election challenges in court that they're going to try as they plan to steal the election.

Archived