Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

On 1/26/2018 at 4:17 PM, McLoofus said:

Tempering my review here so as not to oversell.

If you find this at anything close to the $15/12 I did, I encourage you to buy it. I'm quite pleased that I did.

Man, that's a hoppy hit upside the head. Tasty. "Palate destroyer" would be an apt descriptor though. It lingers. 

Got a 6er for 7. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AUDub said:

Man, that's a hoppy hit upside the head. Tasty. "Palate destroyer" would be an apt descriptor though. It lingers. 

Got a 6er for 7. 

Reasonable description for sure. 

Would I wait in line for it? No. Would I pay slightly over a buck a bottle at the store again? Heck yeah. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Reasonable description for sure. 

Would I wait in line for it? No. Would I pay slightly over a buck a bottle at the store again? Heck yeah. 

SN catches a lot of heat for being "big," but you can never say they're bad at what they do. Solid, dependable offerings at very reasonable prices are their hallmark. Torpedo and their pale always have a home in my fridge. 

18 minutes ago, AUDub said:

SN catches a lot of heat for being "big," but you can never say they're bad at what they do. Solid, dependable offerings at very reasonable prices are their hallmark. Torpedo and their pale always have a home in my fridge. 

It's so crazy that any craft beer enthusiast would hate on them. They're the best of both worlds. Their macro infrastructure allows them to maintain the consistency of the piss merchants while, as you said, keeping their prices reasonable. And their beer is always good and sometimes great. They also do as much as anyone to promote and foster craft entrepreneurship, creativity and ingenuity. Very much an "all boats rise" ethos. I respect them as much as any brewery in the country. 

Whoa, didn't mean to get all soap boxy there. Glad you liked the beer. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It's so crazy that any craft beer enthusiast would hate on them. 

*Imagining dudes wearing tweed, trilby hats and handlebar mustaches and only drinking beer made in 5 gallon batches*

42 minutes ago, AUDub said:

*Imagining dudes wearing tweed, trilby hats and handlebar mustaches and only drinking beer made in 5 gallon batches*

"I mean, yeah, they source their hops from their own farms, but it's not like they're composting their spent grains or anything." 

On 2/10/2018 at 11:57 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Held a second drawing for allocated bourbons we held onto from the first. Couple people popped their bottles. In order of my preference:

William Larue Weller(121 proof)

Pappy 15

Weller 12

Bulleit Single Barrel 

Oh for Pete's sake

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m gonna do some bottle shopping soon. Any recommendations? Looking to spend around $100 or less. 

PS. I’ve never had scotch.

When it comes to scotch, I'm an Islay guy. Of course, I also love rauchbier. 

"The whiskies of the distilleries along the southeastern coast of the island, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg, have a smoky character derived from peat, considered a central characteristic of the Islay malts, and ascribed both to the water from which the whisky is made and to the peating levels of the barley. Many describe this as a "medicinal" flavor. They also possess notes of iodine, seaweed and salt."

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When it comes to scotch, I'm an Islay guy. Of course, I also love rauchbier. 

"The whiskies of the distilleries along the southeastern coast of the island, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg, have a smoky character derived from peat, considered a central characteristic of the Islay malts, and ascribed both to the water from which the whisky is made and to the peating levels of the barley. Many describe this as a "medicinal" flavor. They also possess notes of iodine, seaweed and salt."

Copy that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I admit to being a bit lazy in asking this question. Y'all have thrown out tons of suggestions before. I need to make notes.

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Copy that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I admit to being a bit lazy in asking this question. Y'all have thrown out tons of suggestions before. I need to make notes.

Eh. No harm in it. And suggestions might change with time, so it's always smart to ask at the time that you're ready to pull the trigger.

Probably my favorite scotch I've ever had was the Lagavulin 16. The Ardbeg 10 is really great for a little less. Ditto for Laphroaig 10. 

If you want to buy a cheap bottle just to see what the "peat thing" is, and to have something for experimenting with cocktails, you can get Black Bottle for $25 or so. It's a blend of several Islay malts and makes a fine everyday drinker. 

I also prefer Islay. However, I wouldn’t start with that region if you’re just breaking into Scotch. The first Scotch I ever had was Laphroaig 10 and my taste buds were in shock. Way out of my league. I’ll be straight up, Islay taste like a bandaid that’s been drug through a beach-side campfire. Very medicinal and high iodine-like flavors. Something you need to develop a taste for.

I had to walk it back and go with a Highland—which most closely resembles an American whiskey—on my next go around. They’re low on peat and smoke, but the notes are there. 

When it comes to Highland, you could start with Maccallan 12, that’s a benchmark in the Scotch game and totally indicative of what you’ll get with most Highlands. It’ll cost you around $60. If you want to spend a little more, go with Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask or Oban 14. 

I would absolutely suggest going with Tomatin 12yr. It’s a single malt Highland that’ll run you about $35. Usually single malts are going to be trash under that $60 mark, but Tomatin 12yr is totally legit. All the notes of Maccallan 12, but half the price and you’ll be sacrificing some complexity. 

Once you get used to the peat and smoke, I would try Kilchoman Machir Bay($60). It has no age statement(a lot of scotches are going this route lately), but it’s totally mellow yet it has the peat and smoke that Islay is known for. You also get some briny/sea air notes which is cool. 

Don’t cheap out with a blend(Dewar’s, Chivas, etc.)! Single malt or GTFO.

Good luck with your scotch adventure. It’s fun and your wallet will hate you. 

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It is. In fact, just finished a four pack of it off Monday. I love my local piggly wiggly.

Tastes nice and complex, though the body leaves a bit to be desired.

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Underappreciated beer, probably because it is widely available year round. 

I'll check in with it from time to time, and every time I'm reminded that it's a damned good beer. Even if @AUDub ruined it for me and next time I'm going to be underwhelmed by the body. :laugh:

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm going to be underwhelmed by the body.

I'll take "things that go through Dub's wife's head when he's in the mood" for a thousand, Alex.

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I adore Nightmare on Brett. 

Like many sours, it was quite an experience. Were it not so outrageously priced, I'd pull the trigger on it more frequently. 

18 hours ago, AUDub said:

Like many sours, it was quite an experience. Were it not so outrageously priced, I'd pull the trigger on it more frequently. 

Crooked Stave is mighty proud of their beer, as my dad would say. 

Archived