Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently in the liquor section of a Woodman's. To call it overwhelming would be an understatement. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Currently in the liquor section of a Woodman's. To call it overwhelming would be an understatement. 

One that’s not overwhelming: their bourbon section. 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

One that’s not overwhelming: their bourbon section. 

But the beer. The beer! I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I need to get out of Birmingham more frequently. 

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

But the beer. The beer! I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I need to get out of Birmingham more frequently. 

Serendipity!

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Serendipity!

I stocked up on New Glarus. That was one of them. Drank it last night, matter of fact. 

They also had spotted cow in cans, which makes me feel a lot better about putting it in my checked bag. 

23 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They also had spotted cow in cans, which makes me feel a lot better about putting it in my checked bag. 

Absolutely. You can fit at least 2-3 more units in with the saved weight :)

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. You can fit at least 2-3 more units in with the saved weight :)

I've also had glass bottles blow up in luggage (though it was wine, and a flight over the Rockies).

On 3/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, AUld fAUx@ said:

I've also had glass bottles blow up in luggage (though it was wine, and a flight over the Rockies).

When I was traveling regularly for work, I always carried a small roll of duct tape and gallon sized ziplocs. I also tried to minimize weight, never checked a bag on the way out and always checked a bag on the way back. 

It ain’t beer, but I’m pumped about these glasses. My better half found them at goodwill for $4. I checked amazon, and they go for $40. Now I can spend $36 on beer. 

91F93FA0-AB18-4D8D-A4DE-F83ADC899772.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

It ain’t beer, but I’m pumped about these glasses. My better half found them at goodwill for $4. I checked amazon, and they go for $40. Now I can spend $36 on beer. 

91F93FA0-AB18-4D8D-A4DE-F83ADC899772.jpeg

Spieglau glasses are great. I have at least one of each of those except the one on the far right. Be careful with the IPA glass, super easy to break. 

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Spieglau glasses are great. I have at least one of each of those except the one on the far right. Be careful with the IPA glass, super easy to break. 

The one on the right says it’s for “American Wheat beer”. I’ll probably use it for Paulaner Salvatore and various other Dopplebocks. 

I’ve already learned about how breakable the IPA glasses are. I had one break last month from rubbing it too hard with a dish rag. 

Not bad. Lots of citrus. Picking up on a soapy characteristic though. Reminds me a bit of Devil’s Harvest. I think of the major breweries trying their hand at NEIPA, New Belgium’s is probably the best I’ve had so far as much as I hate to say it. Still haven’t stumbled across Sam Adams’ take on it. 

bGaDpuB.jpg

24 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger Refuge, my folks are in NOLA. Got an order for the usual Parish brews, one off stuff from NOLA Brewing. Anything else I should have on my radar?

-Urban South- Anything they make. Their Holy Roller IPA is fantastic.

-Parish- Their one off stuff seems to be brewery only(mostly their Sips line right now). They recently started canning. Envie was getting crushed(not in a good way). Lots of folks saying they changed something in this batch. 

-Gnarley Barley- I think they just released another batch of Jucifer IPA. I haven’t had it yet, but I’ve heard good things.

I’m headed south tomorrow. Lafayette for a day then NOLA for three days. If I see anything that jumps out, I’ll holler.

25 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Trying this for the first time...

9114AEB0-A5D2-4391-B18D-D70BD546AFDE.jpeg

8DCFBAF8-1F9E-42D3-8014-92BDC2AC2D32.gif

In the days of low IBU, ultra citra and mosaic  hopped brews, Hopslam is always a good one to get back to your roots with. Monster DIPA with a huge malt backbone. Bitter with some sweetness from the honey. 

It’s consistent too. Stays true year after year. 

Hopefully you’ll get to try Oracle at some point. Another giant DIPA, but it’s a bit more clean. 

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

In the days of low IBU, ultra citra and mosaic  hopped brews, Hopslam is always a good one to get back to your roots with. Monster DIPA with a huge malt backbone. Bitter with some sweetness from the honey. 

It’s consistent too. Stays true year after year. 

Hopefully you’ll get to try Oracle at some point. Another giant DIPA, but it’s a bit more clean. 

I’m trying to remember, but this beer really reminds me of some other DIPA I’ve had. Really, REALLY good.

Archived