Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/5/2016 at 1:03 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also had a couple Good People IPA. They finally entered the market. Really fine IPA, better than last time I had it on 8/23/12(thanks Untappd). 

Agree it's a fine IPA. Local store got a fresh batch and it is better than it was this past summer. Mixology 101?. Or perhaps simply freshness? I also picked up their Pale Ale. Didn't stack up to the IPA in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Agree it's a fine IPA. Local store got a fresh batch and it is better than it was this past summer. Mixology 101?. Or perhaps simply freshness? I also picked up their Pale Ale. Didn't stack up to the IPA in my opinion.

If I had to bet, freshness. 

I think I'm past the point of tossing a top water frog. Jerkbait time? The bites on my shad lipless crankbait cooled tremendously...although I did catch a dink and had another small bass jump off when he got to the bank. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

If I had to bet, freshness. 

I think I'm past the point of tossing a top water frog. Jerkbait time? The bites on my shad lipless crankbait cooled tremendously...although I did catch a dink and had another small bass jump off when he got to the bank. 

Historically speaking yes, but this has been an odd year with regards to weather. I'd try it no doubt. 

Funny thing about different bodies of water, i.e. large lakes vs. small ponds, I am now catching them on rattletraps. I could likely catch a few on jerkbait as well, but tournament fishing I try to cover water when possible. Also using a half ounce shad colored War Eagle Screamin Eagle spinnerbait. Fishing shade and wind blown banks when available.  

38 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Historically speaking yes, but this has been an odd year with regards to weather. I'd try it no doubt. 

Funny thing about different bodies of water, i.e. large lakes vs. small ponds, I am now catching them on rattletraps. I could likely catch a few on jerkbait as well, but tournament fishing I try to cover water when possible. Also using a half ounce shad colored War Eagle Screamin Eagle spinnerbait. Fishing shade and wind blown banks when available.  

I've been throwing ghost shad rattletraps for the past two weeks because temps have been up. But we're in the low 70s and I'm assuming water temps are in the mid 60s(based on my pool thermostat). I still hooked two small ones, lost one at the bank. But it still just didn't feel right. I have about 3 spots on two ponds that I have dialed in, but they were dead today  

Time change and temp change may have the bass out of sorts. I don't like making my final cast at 5:15pm. 

It's raining now, so that'll drive water temps down a bit. So I think I'll start out with a jerkbait tomorrow. Problem is, I've never used one. Any tips?

Tasted a $125 cab today at work. Amazing as expected.

Good People finally arrived in my store. Awesome. Until I saw the packaged date on the IPA, 9/3/16. Really?? Have they really had this beer in their warehouse for ~3 months??

Anyway. Wife went to see Stevie Nicks in Nashville last night and brought back more Resin per my request. 

Teaser: I got big news for after the new year to reveal that I'm so stoked about. And no, I'm not pregnant.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:43 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I've been throwing ghost shad rattletraps for the past two weeks because temps have been up. But we're in the low 70s and I'm assuming water temps are in the mid 60s(based on my pool thermostat). I still hooked two small ones, lost one at the bank. But it still just didn't feel right. I have about 3 spots on two ponds that I have dialed in, but they were dead today  

Time change and temp change may have the bass out of sorts. I don't like making my final cast at 5:15pm. 

It's raining now, so that'll drive water temps down a bit. So I think I'll start out with a jerkbait tomorrow. Problem is, I've never used one. Any tips?

It's a great bait. I use a Lucky Craft suspending model that dives about 2-3 ft in the fall months of the year. As we move to winter I go to a model that dives 5 ft. I think the lure is 4" long approximately. Chartreuse shad is my fav color. You'll have to try differing cadences until you find what they want. Historically speaking, point your rod tip at the water and use small 12" to 24" easy jerks towards the water. Wait a couple seconds between jerks. I use a medium light action 6 1/2 ft rod, 10-12 lb test fluorocarbon line. 

* I test baits in my pool to get a feel for what they are doing. 

I found 2 6-packs of Lagunita Brown Shugga at a local Mtgy grocery store today. I like it! I have a question for you experts: I will be at the beach this weekend with a beer aficionado who lives in Boston. What are the best southern beers that I could take for him to try? He requested Avondale Saison and a hoppy IPA with ABU 100+. I have access to Southern Prohibition beer and Folklore and Orange Blossom and others. Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I really like Southern Prohibitions' offerings that I've had. The Devil's Harvest was really good, but not super hoppy. Can you get your mitts on some Cigar City beer? If so, Jai Alai all day long.

Was about to suggest same. 

Thanks! I will definitely pick up some Jai Alai. I have had it once and liked it a lot. Do y'all know anything about Blue Pants Brewery or Thomas Creek Brewery? My grocery store has those also. Not southern, but I saw some Founders that is aged in bourbon barrels, but I don't remember the name of it. Sounds interesting but I am not the expert...yet.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Thanks! I will definitely pick up some Jai Alai. I have had it once and liked it a lot. Do y'all know anything about Blue Pants Brewery or Thomas Creek Brewery? My grocery store has those also. Not southern, but I saw some Founders that is aged in bourbon barrels, but I don't remember the name of it. Sounds interesting but I am not the expert...yet.

DUDE... get the Founders. Backwoods Bastard, perhaps? Whatever it is, it's likely quite good.

Blue Pants discussion here

Thomas Creek makes some decent beers, although I can't recall anything specific I've had that was blow-you-away good. Doesn't mean they're not worth a shot, though. 

20 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had Parish's Opus Vert draft today at lunch. I'm all in. Really, really, really good.

Y'all are killin' a brother with the Founders...'bout time for a roadtrip(Maryland is one month away)

I'd gladly trade the availability of Founders with the option to drink Parish's hoppy stuff on a regular basis. 

On 11/9/2016 at 7:51 PM, AUFAN78 said:

It's a great bait. I use a Lucky Craft suspending model that dives about 2-3 ft in the fall months of the year. As we move to winter I go to a model that dives 5 ft. I think the lure is 4" long approximately. Chartreuse shad is my fav color. You'll have to try differing cadences until you find what they want. Historically speaking, point your rod tip at the water and use small 12" to 24" easy jerks towards the water. Wait a couple seconds between jerks. I use a medium light action 6 1/2 ft rod, 10-12 lb test fluorocarbon line. 

* I test baits in my pool to get a feel for what they are doing. 

Well, I tried the jerkbait today. The small one I was using isn't great for bank fishing the pond I've been going to. Can't cast it far whatsoever and on my further casts, twitching it a few times brings it in all the way. I need a bigger one I think, or possibly they all suck for bank fishing. 

HOWEVER, I caught a nice chunk today on the crankbait. I'm so glad I didn't lose him, he hit the back treble, that so happened to be missing a barb. 3+ lbs if I had to guess. I have a pic of me holding it that some passerby took, but I won't ugly up the thread. 

IQq3H7S.jpg

Beer related: I'm having a Sixpoint Resin that my wife grabbed for me when she was in Nashville earlier this week. 

On 11/11/2016 at 5:39 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well, I tried the jerkbait today. The small one I was using isn't great for bank fishing the pond I've been going to. Can't cast it far whatsoever and on my further casts, twitching it a few times brings it in all the way. I need a bigger one I think, or possibly they all suck for bank fishing. 

HOWEVER, I caught a nice chunk today on the crankbait. I'm so glad I didn't lose him, he hit the back treble, that so happened to be missing a barb. 3+ lbs if I had to guess. I have a pic of me holding it that some passerby took, but I won't ugly up the thread. 

IQq3H7S.jpg

Beer related: I'm having a Sixpoint Resin that my wife grabbed for me when she was in Nashville earlier this week. 

Nice fish!  The jerkbaits I use weigh between 3/8 oz for the shallow model to 1/2 oz for the deeper one. Line size matters as does the rod. For lighter lures a smaller diameter 10-12lb test is important. The rod needs to be a fast action for the whip effect. 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Nice fish!  The jerkbaits I use weigh between 3/8 oz for the shallow model to 1/2 oz for the deeper one. Line size matters as does the rod. For lighter lures a smaller diameter 10-12lb test is important. The rod needs to be a fast action for the whip effect. 

Good advice. Rod I'm using now is a med/fast with 14lb mono. Planning on getting a new rod/baitcaster for Christmas to compliment my original setup.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, McLoofus said:

DUDE... get the Founders. Backwoods Bastard, perhaps? Whatever it is, it's likely quite good.

Blue Pants discussion here

Thomas Creek makes some decent beers, although I can't recall anything specific I've had that was blow-you-away good. Doesn't mean they're not worth a shot, though. 

You guys are awesome. I took a cooler with Jai-Alai/Pineapple Sculpin/Devil's Harvest/Avondale Saison/Brown Shugga and a 11% ABV Honey Pilsner from Orange Blossom. My friend was quite impressed. Thanks for the recommendations! My friend got a growler of Resin Sixpoint but I did not try it.

McLoofus, you are right. It was Backwoods Bastard. They also have Oatmeal Stout and one other from Founders. I suppose I will need to try them, too!

Archived