Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

And for the moment we've all been wait for. Drum roll please....

xBHrr4m.jpg

...annnd meh. Thin. Boring. Typical stout flavors. I suppose if one wants to imagine a candy bar, they may find it. Another dud from Blue Pants. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southern Prohibition Crowd Control DIPA. THIS IS DELICIOUS. 

NQ1Ecic.jpg

Mango, tropical flavors bursting at the first sip. Some malt backbone. This is a very legit, dangerous DIPA at 8%. 

Also the best SPB packaging to date. 

On 12/6/2016 at 6:23 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

If you're buying Ten Fidy, I know you're not saving any money. ;)

Got a couple new beers in the store today,  and what I drink may just shock you...stay tuned, fellow beer drinkers...

You know your boys over at the pig in Homewood do a good job on pricing as far as i can tell. Definitely cheaper than a few other places I buy from regularly. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know your boys over at the pig in Homewood do a good job on pricing as far as i can tell. Definitely cheaper than a few other places I buy from regularly. 

Good. They're pushing $20 around here. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Good. They're pushing $20 around here. 

I didn't keep my receipt, but thought it was like 13.95 here. Could there be that much markup in your area? Or maybe I'm wrong. I'll likely go back next week and pay more attention.

I'll grab that SoPro the next time I see it. 

I had a beer by Flying Dog the other night. I believe it was their Imperial IPA. Nice beer.

I picked up a winter season 12 pack from SN last night. The MapleScotch is so freaking nice.

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I didn't keep my receipt, but thought it was like 13.95 here. Could there be that much markup in your area? Or maybe I'm wrong. I'll likely go back next week and pay more attention.

There could be a markup. Beer around here isn't very cheap usually. Ten Fidy has always been on the high side wherever I've bought it in the past in different states. It was even pricey in Colorado, 45 minutes away from the brewery. 

On November 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

1. Lagunitas Sucks is still fantastic. This one is super fresh and super good. 

2. The glass is personalized because I sold an expensive cheese plate/board. One of my managers knows my affinity for all things beer and Lebowski  

GAtZDxm.jpg

#1 is no doubt!  I got so excited the other day when I finally saw Brown Shugga that I had to buy 2 sixers even though I only needed one... Of course it was all gone in a week :laugh: 

On December 8, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll grab that SoPro the next time I see it. 

I had a beer by Flying Dog the other night. I believe it was their Imperial IPA. Nice beer.

I picked up a winter season 12 pack from SN last night. The MapleScotch is so freaking nice.

Snowpack? Good scotch ale. I was impressed with the coffee stout too. 

I am officially in heaven. I have read about ya'lls experiences with Founders and Ten Fidy on here and have always kept a watchful eye for them when on travel. Well, I'm in now. Good heavens are those freaking good beers! That damn Backwoods Bastard... 

I also have had some nice local stuff on tap as well as Founders Dirty Bastard on tap in Baltimore last night. 

Shocks, how was that bourbon?

22 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am officially in heaven. I have read about ya'lls experiences with Founders and Ten Fidy on here and have always kept a watchful eye for them when on travel. Well, I'm in now. Good heavens are those freaking good beers! That damn Backwoods Bastard...

I also have had some nice local stuff on tap as well as Founders Dirty Bastard on tap in Baltimore last night.

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

I paid 16.99 at Hop City for Ten Fidy the other day. Pricey but worth it.

Funny thing; my wife is unaware I can see her e-mail. Funny because she's the one that wanted me to have it synced to my iPad. Guess who's getting some Westy for Christmas. :bananadance:

On 12/11/2016 at 5:50 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

It was delicious. Still smooth despite being 130 proof or whatever. Definitely a sipping bourbon through and through. 

So what's the story with Double Dry Hopped Envie? 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It was delicious. Still smooth despite being 130 proof or whatever. Definitely a sipping bourbon through and through. 

So what's the story with Double Dry Hopped Envie? 

Very nice! I was wondering about that alcohol content.

I will hit up my local connection when I get home this weekend. If I find that Envie, I'll stock up with extras.

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Very nice! I was wondering about that alcohol content.

I will hit up my local connection when I get home this weekend. If I find that Envie, I'll stock up with extras.

If you do get your hands on some extras...I've been fiending for some Parish. DDH Envie sounds amazing.  

I had Narwhal by SN and Death by Coconut by OB tonight. My heavens I'm in...heaven? Yes.

Narwhal was really roasty and awesome. DBC was really good, but seemed to be lacking something. Maybe it was because it followed the stout?

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had Narwhal by SN and Death by Coconut by OB tonight. My heavens I'm in...heaven? Yes.

Narwhal was really roasty and awesome. DBC was really good, but seemed to be lacking something. Maybe it was because it followed the stout?

I wasn't impressed with Death By Coconut the few times I've had it. So you're not wrong. 

Narwhal is the best stout in its price range ~$10 4pk. 

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I wasn't impressed with Death By Coconut the few times I've had it. So you're not wrong. 

Narwhal is the best stout in its price range ~$10 4pk. 

It wasn't bad. It just didn't hold up to all the other dark beer I've had this week. I'm pretty pumped that my bag was light flying up, cause it's gonna be loaded down on the flight home. 

The other cool thing, this town has a really nice little wine and beer store. The employees are super cool and really excited to talk beer. I completely geeked out in there. They even busted open a Backwoods Bastard last night and passed around some samples. I'm very jealous that I don't have a store like that back home.

This was Narwhal's 5th year in existence and I've got 1 bottle from each year, so I hope to do a vertical soon if I can find the right drinking partner(s). Unbelievable to me that beer doesn't get more hype. 

Congrats on a successful trip, @Tiger Refuge! Glad we didn't oversell the Backwoods Bastard. I'm also in agreement about DBC.

@ShocksMyBrain, super jealous about the Weller. I actually have Weller blood in me so I'm a little biased, but even their cheap stuff isn't terrible (and it is *cheap*). The 12 year is as good a bourbon as you'll find at that price point, or at many price points above it. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This was Narwhal's 5th year in existence and I've got 1 bottle from each year, so I hope to do a vertical soon if I can find the right drinking partner(s). Unbelievable to me that beer doesn't get more hype. 

Congrats on a successful trip, @Tiger Refuge! Glad we didn't oversell the Backwoods Bastard. I'm also in agreement about DBC.

@ShocksMyBrain, super jealous about the Weller. I actually have Weller blood in me so I'm a little biased, but even their cheap stuff isn't terrible (and it is *cheap*). The 12 year is as good a bourbon as you'll find at that price point, or at many price points above it. 

Everything I've had from Weller is good. Haven't had the 12 Year, but I got a couple bottles of Antique. Almost a crime it tastes as good as it does for $30. 

On December 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Southern Prohibition Crowd Control DIPA. THIS IS DELICIOUS. 

NQ1Ecic.jpg

Mango, tropical flavors bursting at the first sip. Some malt backbone. This is a very legit, dangerous DIPA at 8%. 

Also the best SPB packaging to date. 

We get he SP beers here. For some reason their artwork always gave me the impression that they were spending extra money on art to cover for lacking in beer quality (I know I know, don't judge a book by its cover). Glad to know about this one. Need a good holiday IPA and mango with a bit of malt sounds just perfect (big mango fan here). Gonna have to check this one out!  

On December 17, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

I had Brown Shugga tonight for the first time. I now understand.

Dayum. Really good stuff.

On tap or in bottle?  On tap (and very fresh) it is probably my favorite beer. In a bottle it's still really good, but not quite as wonderful as a fresh draft. 

Archived