Thoughts on the game

benjazz

We were playing Liberty College which is like playing Columbus College or Faulkner or Huntington etc. I'm saying that as a qualifier. Could look a lot different playing FSU or Clemson. BUT there are a lot of good things and some not so good to say. Starting lineup of Sullivan, Wallace, Payne, Adamu and Chubb.

Sullivan. Looks like the old Frankie. Reminded me of Eddie Johnson from back in the day. Needs to go the the basket more maybe but otherwise a good showing. He along with several others looked bulked up and cut more than in the past.

Wallace. Playing with much more confidence Still not much offense but with a heart as big as the Auburn Arena. Played good d with a couple of steals.

Payne. Also looks more cut and playing with more confidence. The clear defensive star of the team. Played both the 3 and 4 some tonight. Barbee gave him instructions on a number of occasions to relay to the team. He needs to be more productive offensively although the rest of his game; defense and rebounding is very sound.

Adamu. Good news is he's a player. You can tell he knows what he's doing as far as rebounding and defense. Took a couple of poor shots, but can rebound and play d at an sec level IF and its a big IF he can stay out of foul trouble. He had 3 fouls in the first half and within a minute in the second half got no. 4. Barbee sent Granger to go in for him and he commited no. 5 before Granger could get in. He's got that classic power forward mentality. Knocking people around and going hard for the ball or to the basket. He has to get under control. If he does he will be a solid starter.

Chubb. LOOKS like an SEC Center. Scored a ton of points although their biggest player was much smaller. Even so I can remember a time he couldn't have done that against a high school team. Looked smart like a Senior should. Showed a decent jumper (although he needs to lay off the 3s).

My only problem with this group is while they will play solid basketball fundamentally, they only have Sullivan as a true scorer. NOW lets talk about the freshmen and others.

Jordan Price. --- Best pure shooter I have seen in an Auburn uniform since Stan Pietkviech )(sp) He is somthing else. You can see it in his eyes. "Im open I have the ball I scored" He is a machine Has good size and played the point well when they put him there. Needs to work on footwork on defense but that will come. Plays much older. Great court awareness and made a heck of a lob pass to Johnson one time. He is the real deal. If anything can be said bad about his offense its that he needs to shoot quicker off the screen with his shot but he's the best shooter Auburn has had in a long LONG time.

Shaq Johnson - Whoever said he needed a jjumper was lying. He has a nice outside shot and comes off the screen better than Price. Needs to handle the ball better and work on defensive footwork. Very strange leaper. Uses his feet. Looks like he is levitating rather than jumping. Probably won't start but a 6h man role is very likely. He had 3 dunks and to his credit did not try to be spectacular but unlike Granger who missed a dunk Shaq made sure he made it. Shows me he is thinking about winning and not just showing off. If Price is a potential 20 - 25 point per game guy; Johnson is a 15 - 20 point guy. He will also have to work on guarding taller people but I don't think that will be a problem. He just needs minutes.

Brian Greene, Jr. Great assist guy and plays excellent D. When he's on the court he is in charge. Vocal leader. Needs to learn when to take his own shot. May pass too much but he will see a ton of minutes. Looks and plays taller than 6'3.

Noel Johnson - Bulked up over the off season and did a nice job on the boards. Still inconsistent shooting but did a nice job at the 3 on defense and boards. He has a flat shot I don't like, but he gets it to go in so what do I know. But he will drain a 3 and then shoot an air ball. Trying to work inside more than I recall from last year.

Dixon- Tatum. Man he needs minutes. He is half a season away from being Kyle Davis with an 12 point per game offensive game if he can get some minutes. You can tell by the way Barbee talks to him he 's an intelligent guy. VERY athletic for his size. That being said, he has the same problem as Adamu in that he fouls way too much at the wrong time. Set two moving picks in a row. He's working hard and I can see him curing that. Chubb's new found offensive game would seem to give us the opportunity of playing them together at certain times. His arms are the longest arms I have ever seen. He dropped the ball in from the free throw line I promise you. With the minutes, a weight program and two good years of coaching he is an NBA talent.

Granger - Gangly. Looks every bit of 6'9" Needs weight badly. Smart kid who handles the ball well for his size. I think he will end up being a kind of European Big man type guy. Nice jumper; can drive the paint. Not much on playing with his back to the basket. Even with that team he didn't try to use his size which he could have done and easily outmatched them. But he has a nice soft shot and floor awareness. Nice footwork on defense for a guy his size and experience. Main issue is lack of heft and being timid about mixing it up inside. Looks like he's a learner though.

My thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

WDE!!

does it look like those five will remain our starters?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Price or Greene jump in the starting lineup once they stay discipline on defense. IMO

I don't see how you can keep Price out of the lineup. Probably at the 3. Green and Wallace will probably split time at point depending on match ups is my guess.

Archived