Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Mustache eagle is as good a summary as any posted here.

BP seems to be the way the wind is currently blowing.

It appears to be a hire JJ is capable of making............

Yes but is it a hire Gogue would make or sign off on? That is the real question.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mustache eagle is as good a summary as any posted here.

BP seems to be the way the wind is currently blowing.

It appears to be a hire JJ is capable of making............

Yes but is it a hire Gogue would make or sign off on? That is the real question.

I sure hope so. Or Jimbo...those are my choices.

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Again, so is Saban. I guess we are too good for him too.

yep

I continue to fail to see what relevance Nick Saban has to this issue. I for one thnk Saban is perfect fit at Alabama. There is an awful lot of ENVY issues circulating among Auburn fans about now. Its sad to have to admit that what Bama fans have always said about Auburn fans has come true. They've always contended that all we wanted was to be like them. Seems we're there

The similarities are these. Both are successful football coaches that have publically lied. Also in Saban's case when he was hired some people (bama fans and otherwise) said such things as "you can't trust him" or "he'll never be able to recruit because everyone knows he's a liar" or "Alabama is better than him". People are also saying this about Petrino.

And to say I have "bama envy" is inaccurate. I have winning envy. Auburn has won in the past, and I believe they certainly can in the future. It just bugs the heck out of me that Auburn has the opportunity to hire a great coach but people want to cast moral aspersions and feel good about themselves instead of giving a great coach a second chance. Could he screw Auburn and leave in the middle of the night? Absolutely. But it's just as possible that he could be so grateful that Auburn gave him a second chance that he dedicates his life to putting Auburn football where it belongs, on top. A humble, hungry Bobby Petrino would be a force to be reckoned with.

That's my opinion of the state of the school I love.

Fair points, but I still disagree. Thanks for the conversation and discussion today Gr82b, although I don't agree with alot of what you said, I appreciate you offering your opinions and hearing mine. War Eagle to you buddy, here's to a swift end to this season and the promise of a new staff and back to an Auburn team we can all pull for. WDE!

He's a football coach, he's not running for president, although there have been presidents that committed this same sin.

Totally agree, and even if he were running for president I still don't think it would be pertinent to the discussion. A person's professional behavior and their personal life are two seperate issues.

You guys should ask your churches to start running in depth background checks on your preachers and staff. I think that you would be surprised to find out how many of them would have an equal or worse personal history compared to Petrino.

I have a feeling that most of you that are against Petrino are basing this on religous reasons. What happened to not judging others, and more importantly what happened to forgiveness?

The Bible doesn't score sins. A sin is a sin. Adultery and passing judgement are equal in the eyes of God. Forgive and move on.

I just posted it because the Falcons departure is one of the things people always bring up with regard to why he isn't trustworthy. And I thought it was important enough info that I haven't seen anyone bring up before, that I didn't want it buried on page 106 of the other thread.

It's fine if just the Arkansas scandal is all that matters to you, but the other two things (the Falcons and Jetgate) don't hold water to me, especially in light of this article. And Jetgate? To me if that's a big hangup for you, then you're just blissfully ignorant of how coaching searches really happen. The only difference is usually on the school's end, some 'unofficial' representative makes the contact instead of BOT members and the president. But that's Auburn's fault, not Petrino's. On the other side, the coach usually lets his agent or some other person be the point of contact. But talking to prospective coaches before you've fired your coach is pretty normal.

im with you on this. i just didnt get the uproar over the jetgate deal.

Agree for the most part. The only part of Jetgate that bothered me was who was involved in that situation.

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Ok but don't you think he owed something to the players ...to let them know face to face he was leaving....just because adversity exists you still can be man enough and do the noble thing.....

When you quit a job do you go around telling every single person "goodbye"? If I was a player for the Falcons, I would have been more irritated if I had to waste my time listening to a goodbye speech from a man that no longer had an effect on my job. Petrino was the equivalent to the CEO (maybe vice-president). if he owed anybody an explanation it was his assistant coaches.

Just bring in the new coach and get on with the coaching.

Hardly worth a new thread. That said, I'm sure that the same guy who cheated on his wife and unethically hired his mistress- who was engaged to his coworker- was totally on the up and up when he allowed his agent to tell this story on his behalf.

He's a football coach. It doesn't matter what he does in his personal life as long as it is not illegal.

A stranger's personal life is none of your business, nor anybody else's. I swear, y'all are like a bunch of women gossiping about tabloid mags.

Man. Never once used the ignore function before the merger. Suddenly, I've got about 30 31 names on there.

I've heard multiple mentions now that this Russ Campbell guy is legit. I'll believe you guys, despite the fact that he's in a notoriously shady business representing a notoriously shady coach. However, Arthur Blank's integrity is pretty much bullet proof if you ask anybody not named Petrino or Guy That Makes Money Off Petrino's Success. If we're gonna get into "he said, he said" between one of the most respected businessmen and owners in the NFL and the guy who hired the woman he was banging who was not his wife, my choice is easy.

Seriously, you put people on ignore status? (guess you're not getting this message, but whatever.)

The reason that Blank is respected is because he's a winner in his profession(s). That respect does not stem from his personal life. Petrino is a winner, and his personal life is his and his families business. It's none of our business, nor the media's business. His ability to coach is what is our business to evaluate.

"The Bible doesn't score sins. A sin is a sin. Adultery and passing judgement are equal in the eyes of God. Forgive and move on."

When saying what the bible says, please give chapter and verse. God scores sin and they are kept in a book. Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Yes many preachers have backgrounds that are sinful. I can forgive a trespass against me, but I cannot forgive a trespass against God. That is between Petrino and God. Yes, partly based on my religious beliefs, I don't want Petrino. Leaving my religion aside, I just plain don't like him. He seems to have little character to me.

I'll make this as simple as possible:

If the administration grows a pair, makes this hire, Auburn is going to be back on top.

President would need to be that guy.

Will Auburn play it safe? Or will they get muddy.

Look out folks! It's the moral police. Thanks perfect citizen.

Hope one day I can reach the level of perfection both of you possess. Must be nice to be pure as the driven snow. Good grief.

Boy, it really stings to be at the wrong end of such razor sharp wit. I guess simple logic and reason isn't worth the hassle if the genius across the table has his next coach already picked out.

I don't recall picking anyone as the next head coach at AU. Simple logic and reason? Laughable, I suppose. Pounding of ones chest over moral superiority and winning arguments that hold no water? Go for it.

Awesome. Even some of the moderators on this site have become ignore-worthy. Nice knowin' ya, Chief.

EDIT: Huh. Turns out I'm not allowed to ignore this prick? Nice knowin' ya, AUFAMILY.

Good grief this guy is sensitive.

Look out folks! It's the moral police. Thanks perfect citizen.

Hope one day I can reach the level of perfection both of you possess. Must be nice to be pure as the driven snow. Good grief.

Boy, it really stings to be at the wrong end of such razor sharp wit. I guess simple logic and reason isn't worth the hassle if the genius across the table has his next coach already picked out.

I don't recall picking anyone as the next head coach at AU. Simple logic and reason? Laughable, I suppose. Pounding of ones chest over moral superiority and winning arguments that hold no water? Go for it.

Awesome. Even some of the moderators on this site have become ignore-worthy. Nice knowin' ya, Chief.

You never knew me. Don't be so dramatic.

Haha...

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Not the one I referenced.

Ok but don't you think he owed something to the players ...to let them know face to face he was leaving....just because adversity exists you still can be man enough and do the noble thing.....

When you quit a job do you go around telling every single person "goodbye"? If I was a player for the Falcons, I would have been more irritated if I had to waste my time listening to a goodbye speech from a man that no longer had an effect on my job. Petrino was the equivalent to the CEO (maybe vice-president). if he owed anybody an explanation it was his assistant coaches.

Just bring in the new coach and get on with the coaching.

If I was a maintenance worker at the mall, probably not. But if I was the leader of a football team, where it is proper protocol (when I say proper 99% of coaches inform their players they are leaving) to tell your players you are leaving I most certainly would tell them face to face not via a note on the locker.

Hardly worth a new thread. That said, I'm sure that the same guy who cheated on his wife and unethically hired his mistress- who was engaged to his coworker- was totally on the up and up when he allowed his agent to tell this story on his behalf.

He's a football coach. It doesn't matter what he does in his personal life as long as it is not illegal.

A stranger's personal life is none of your business, nor anybody else's. I swear, y'all are like a bunch of women gossiping about tabloid mags.

Man. Never once used the ignore function before the merger. Suddenly, I've got about 30 31 names on there.

I've heard multiple mentions now that this Russ Campbell guy is legit. I'll believe you guys, despite the fact that he's in a notoriously shady business representing a notoriously shady coach. However, Arthur Blank's integrity is pretty much bullet proof if you ask anybody not named Petrino or Guy That Makes Money Off Petrino's Success. If we're gonna get into "he said, he said" between one of the most respected businessmen and owners in the NFL and the guy who hired the woman he was banging who was not his wife, my choice is easy.

Seriously, you put people on ignore status? (guess you're not getting this message, but whatever.)

The reason that Blank is respected is because he's a winner in his profession(s). That respect does not stem from his personal life. Petrino is a winner, and his personal life is his and his families business. It's none of our business, nor the media's business. His ability to coach is what is our business to evaluate.

What about his ability to encourage young men to do the right thing? It will come up on the recruiting trail, and coaches will use it against him in living rooms across the southeast......can he overcome that..maybe. But it's something our admin must consider before they hire him

Do you BP fans really think that he will be able to recruit on the same level as he did before? I really don't see a single mom, who has been screwed over by a man or several men, sitting down and listening to the crap he is going to be spewing at them. Nor do I see a happily married mom and dad really taking him seriously. He has a long history of not being truthful with people, his family and his employers. I just don't see where hiring him would do anything good or positive for Auburn University.

"The Bible doesn't score sins. A sin is a sin. Adultery and passing judgement are equal in the eyes of God. Forgive and move on."

When saying what the bible says, please give chapter and verse. God scores sin and they are kept in a book. Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Yes many preachers have backgrounds that are sinful. I can forgive a trespass against me, but I cannot forgive a trespass against God. That is between Petrino and God. Yes, partly based on my religious beliefs, I don't want Petrino. Leaving my religion aside, I just plain don't like him. He seems to have little character to me.

Good reply, thanks.

My interpretation of Revelation 12:20 is not that He is scoring sins when it says "small and great", rather I interpret that that refers to all men "small and great" will be judged by Him for their life's actions. Meaning that I will be judged just like a Bill Gates or GW Bush.

Even if sins are scored (which I don't believe), it is still our duty to not pass judgement and to forgive.

I really don't like what he did to his family, and my knee-jerk reaction to hearing that news was to think badly of him. The reality is that it's not my job to think badly of him, it is God's job to pass judgement on him. I can assure you that by having all Christians turn their back on him and pass judgement on him, then it is very unlikely that Petrino would subsequently feel more compelled to seek God's guidance as a result of being judged by sinners of another nature. How about just be kind and lead with your actions? That way is much more likely to help a lost soul find his way back to God.

What if your boss picked up on one of your sins such as judging others (regardless of how small you may think it to be), and then he blocked you from being promoted due to that sin. Then suppose that your boss told all of your co-workers about your sins, and then they all started gossiping about you. Would their actions make you want to go to church with them?

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

This is completely inaccurate. The father of psychoanalysis is not "out". That's like saying Thomas Jefferson is out because he didn't have a PAC. His theories about psychopathology, the unconscious mind (the id, ego and superego), libido and yes REPRESSION, are very much still accepted today. Hope that is "blunt" enough for your tastes.

Archived