Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here is what I think is a key question regarding Petrino. Personal issues, morality, and integrity issues aside, what the hell kind of hack coach (besides maybe his brother) would risk their reputation to be on his staff? The only thing he could put together is a BBQ bunch 2.0. He already has a problem getting a decent defensive coordinator as it is.

Let's say he is hired 5 days after the IB. This goofy conversation will switch to "Who will be the Co's." Then everyone in here will be crying about why he didn't pick this guy or that guy to lead the D (assuming he does pick his bro to lead the O, or he could do it himself).

C'mon ladies and gentlemen. Petrino is not the answer. He'll never be the coach he was. He's not the man he was. Nobody could go on doing their job after public tar and feathering the way he got it (deservedly or not, depending on your view). AND he'll have to do it ALL OVER again when he is hired to whatever school. This will not and cannot happen.

This was my original question.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. I would fully expect Paul to be oc, as he's about to get a pink slip too. I think he would hire a good staff of positional coaches. Garrick McGee was a long time Petrino assistant that has gotten a head coaching gig. I think that would be an easy sell.

Defense is easily the most difficult part of the equation, as Petrino has never had top level coaching talent on his side. My hope is that, coaches talk. They gossip like everyone else. Hopefully they know bp is not one to meddle. If I were a good dc and I was offered full autonomy to coach opposite Petrino, I would definitely listen.

I don't know how the relationship between BVG and BP is. I would personally love to see him retained and given complete freedom to hire his assistants and run his defense his way, provided their is mutual respect there.

You don't think his credibility has been dinged a bit? Will he still be able to swing the discipline stick, with players,coaches and parents knowing about his trangressions? Like it or not the stink on this guy is going to linger, and his leash is ten times shorter than many other coaches. He has to win big and win big immediately....no 9-3, or 10-2...it's SEC championships or bust....yes another coach is expected to do the same, but the torches and pitchforks will come out a lot quicker for BP, mainly because there will be such a division if he is hired ...

Wholeheartedly disagree. After the complete disaster Chizik has created any coach will have minimum 2 or 3 years to right the ship as long as players are disciplined and the coach does not create off the field problems.

See the mess Chizik inherited from Tubbs, he wins a NC, has Lombardi winner, and heisman winner, coach of the year awards....and now many view him as is the worse coach to ever set foot on AU campus...With that bag of mess BP comes with he will not have the luxury of 2-3 years to fix anything...maybe at UK or some other place but not AU. If BP is far and away better than Chizik some will argue he should be able at the very least be able to duplicate what Chiz did

Chizik had 29 seniors, all Tuberville recruits, and two JUCO players that happened to be some of the best players to ever grace JHS. Chizik has never been responsible for developing talent here at Auburn. The success he had in 2010 was not his doing. Every player he has recruited has not lived up to their potential, and some have even become worse or haven't even seen the field. He continues to blame things on the previous coach and never takes responsibility for his bad decisions. How you could argue keeping him, I'm not sure, unless you just don't watch Auburn football very often.

You don't think his credibility has been dinged a bit? Will he still be able to swing the discipline stick, with players,coaches and parents knowing about his trangressions? Like it or not the stink on this guy is going to linger, and his leash is ten times shorter than many other coaches. He has to win big and win big immediately....no 9-3, or 10-2...it's SEC championships or bust....yes another coach is expected to do the same, but the torches and pitchforks will come out a lot quicker for BP, mainly because there will be such a division if he is hired ...

Wholeheartedly disagree. After the complete disaster Chizik has created any coach will have minimum 2 or 3 years to right the ship as long as players are disciplined and the coach does not create off the field problems.

See the mess Chizik inherited from Tubbs, he wins a NC, has Lombardi winner, and heisman winner, coach of the year awards....and now many view him as is the worse coach to ever set foot on AU campus...With that bag of mess BP comes with he will not have the luxury of 2-3 years to fix anything...maybe at UK or some other place but not AU. If BP is far and away better than Chizik some will argue he should be able at the very least be able to duplicate what Chiz did

Ok, I will concede if the next coach can somehow manage to get the best college player in a generation AND another Top 5 NFL pick to go with him, we should expect immediate success.

Barring that BP or anyone else will have at least a couple if years to right the ship from this debacle. You're projecting.

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Not the one I referenced.

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

This is completely inaccurate. The father of psychoanalysis is not "out". That's like saying Thomas Jefferson is out because he didn't have a PAC. His theories about psychopathology, the unconscious mind (the id, ego and superego), libido and yes REPRESSION, are very much still accepted today. Hope that is "blunt" enough for your tastes.

That is incorrect by today's standard.

Can you explain please? Examples would be greatly appreciated. I've always hated dogma.

Just google "freud discredited". Big picture is that his writings were not based on the scientific method, and are therefore neither able to be proven nor disproven. However, most consider his ideas discredited.

Psychology is the one field of medicine that historically is not based on science. Personally, I blame the entire field of psychology for that because they simply latched onto one guy's (Freud) writings that did nothing more than express an opinion. For a long time nobody dared to question Freud. Now they do. His ideas (? Theories) are viewed as nothing more than abstract concepts.

I suggest that you look for yourself in medical journals. I can not paste links to real medical journals here because they are "pay per view". This is simply a link that popped up from google;

http://theoriesinpsychologyf10.wikispaces.com/Freud's+Stages+of+Psychosexual+Development

You're not entirely wrong from the psych point of view though. There are still to this day many psychiatrists that cling to the belief that Freud's ideas are scientifically based and are correct.

One of the major knocks on Freud's psychosexual analysis is that he didn't address girls, rather just boys. This simply feeds the arguement that Freud's ideas were nothing more than an expression of himself and his own experiences. Which further feeds the opinion that his work was not based on science.

Personally, when it comes to western medicine I believe that it must be backed by science and be evidence based medicine. The lack of scientific data and evidence supporting psychiatry is why I believe that the other fields of medicine have distanced themselves from the field of psychiatry. On a good note, it does seem as though psychiatry is trying to become part of the "normal medical world" in that they are now embracing science into the field of psych.

. Pat Dye is no angel and yet our field is named after him.

Yeah didn't Pat Dye cost us TV and bowl ban while the players were going undefeated and possibly would have won another national title? So who are we to discuss morality and determined its place?

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Not the one I referenced.

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

This is completely inaccurate. The father of psychoanalysis is not "out". That's like saying Thomas Jefferson is out because he didn't have a PAC. His theories about psychopathology, the unconscious mind (the id, ego and superego), libido and yes REPRESSION, are very much still accepted today. Hope that is "blunt" enough for your tastes.

That is incorrect by today's standard.

Can you explain please? Examples would be greatly appreciated. I've always hated dogma.

Just google "freud discredited". Big picture is that his writings were not based on the scientific method, and are therefore neither able to be proven nor disproven. However, most consider his ideas discredited.

Psychology is the one field of medicine that historically is not based on science. Personally, I blame the entire field of psychology for that because they simply latched onto one guy's (Freud) writings that did nothing more than express an opinion. For a long time nobody dared to question Freud. Now they do. His ideas (? Theories) are viewed as nothing more than abstract concepts.

I suggest that you look for yourself in medical journals. I can not paste links to real medical journals here because they are "pay per view". This is simply a link that popped up from google;

http://theoriesinpsychologyf10.wikispaces.com/Freud's+Stages+of+Psychosexual+Development

You're not entirely wrong from the psych point of view though. There are still to this day many psychiatrists that cling to the belief that Freud's ideas are scientifically based and are correct.

One of the major knocks on Freud's psychosexual analysis is that he didn't address girls, rather just boys. This simply feeds the arguement that Freud's ideas were nothing more than an exp<b></b>ression of himself and his own experiences. Which further feeds the opinion that his work was not based on science.

Personally, when it comes to western medicine I believe that it must be backed by science and be evidence based medicine. The lack of scientific data and evidence supporting psychiatry is why I believe that the other fields of medicine have distanced themselves from the field of psychiatry. On a good note, it does seem as though psychiatry is trying to become part of the "normal medical world" in that they are now embracing science into the field of psych.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this. I gave serious consideration to majoring in this subject. Freud's most obvious error was his three stages of sexual development. He made errors, but I think the human mind is the last unexplored frontier. I imagine when he set out his journey he knew there's a great deal of trial and error. But I don't think we should dismiss everything he did, that strikes me as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Perhaps my greatest neurosis is when someone makes a statement and then makes no attempt to explain it. Drives me nuts. I believe we may differ a bit on perspective but I always respect someone's opinion when it is backed by thought.

Everyone else, sincerely sorry for the hijack!

Please name me one current head coach who has never lied to an employer? How many have left one college to move on to another? How many have told the college this is my "dream job" only to move on when something better comes along? How many have lied to recruits about how they will be there for their entire college career? While I do not condone what transpired with the extra marital affair, the argument against Bobby Petrino for the most part would disqualify almost every college head couch out there that is currently under contract.

While Auburn is the greatest University in the USA, the only reason we field a football team is to win games. When we win games the boosters give more, stadiums are full, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc.... and all other sports that doesn't generate enough revenue in itself, that depend on revenue from AU football to have enough to keep a float.

In order to compete with the Georgia's, LSU's, UAT's, USCe's you must get the best possible players to compete. But even more important, you must have a proven head coach that knows what it take to compete against them and who can develop that talent! I know, I know " he did not win against UAT" but my argument is that Arkansas< (by a lot) Auburn, especially with the talent here right now. My argument for Petrino is that he hasn't been in trouble with the NCAA, is a proven winner and has proven to develop the players to meet or exceed their potential, gets players to the NFL. He has an excellent offensive mind (you can get a great defense coordinator with the players we have and the ones coming in, heck I could be the d-coord). But in all seriousness, I do think we could hire Petrino and Auburn will still be great a University as a whole but I think our football team will be better than ever! I believe this is Petrino's ultimate "DREAM Job" and he would do right by Auburn. That is my opinion and I stand by it. I love Auburn and always will and I want was is best for Auburn. Fielding a winning football team year in and year out is what Auburn needs right now, when it comes to football there is not many available better then CBP, if there is please prove it !! War Eagle

Please name me one current head coach who has never lied to an employer? How many have left one college to move on to another? How many have told the college this is my :dream job" only to move on when something better comes along? How many have lied to recruits about how they will be there for their entire college career? While I do not condone what transpired with the extra marital affair, the argument against Bobby Petrino for the most part would disqualify almost every college head couch out there that is currently under contract.

While Auburn is the greatest University in the USA the only reason we field a football team is to win games. When we win games the boosters give more, stadiums are full, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc.... all other sports that doesn't generate enough revenue in itself, that depend on revenue from AU football all have enough to keep a float.

In order to compete with the Georgia's, LSU's, UAT's, USCe's you must get the best possible players to compete. But even more important, you must have a proven head coach that knows what it take to compete against them and who can develop that talent! I know, I know " he did not win against UAT" but my argument is that Arkansas< (by a lot) Auburn, especially with the talent here right now. My argument for Petrino is that he has been in no trouble with the NCAA, is a proven winner and has proven to develop the players to meet or exceed their potential, gets players to the NFL. He has an excellent offensive mind, and you can get a great defense coordinator with the players we have and the ones coming in, heck I could be the d-coord. But in all seriousness, I do think we could hire Petrino and Auburn will still be great as a University as a whole but I think our football team will be better that ever, I believe this is Petrino's ultimate "DREAM Job" and he would do right by Auburn. That is my opinion and I stand by it. I love Auburn and always will and I want was is best for Auburn. Fielding a winning football team year in and year out is what Auburn needs right now, when it comes to football there is not many available better then CBP, if there is please prove it !! War Eagle

Hear, hear.

Ok, I will concede if the next coach can somehow manage to get the best college player in a generation AND another Top 5 NFL pick to go with him, we should expect immediate success.

Barring that BP or anyone else will have at least a couple if years to right the ship from this debacle. You're projecting.

And you are not? You are projectong BP success on what he did at Arky.....The next coach may come in here and pull a Bowden...and the stork did not drop Cam off, no one knew he would have the impact he did on that season. Those are the same awesome players Tubbs went 5-7 or so with...so Chizik and his staff should get some love for developing them.. Look at Tzach, Adams, Bynes, Clayton and others that blossomed under Chizik and staff ...the winning with other coaches players argument is always a weak one ...

Chizik had 29 seniors, all Tuberville recruits, and two JUCO players that happened to be some of the best players to ever grace JHS. Chizik has never been responsible for developing talent here at Auburn. The success he had in 2010 was not his doing. Every player he has recruited has not lived up to their potential, and some have even become worse or haven't even seen the field. He continues to blame things on the previous coach and never takes responsibility for his bad decisions. How you could argue keeping him, I'm not sure, unless you just don't watch Auburn football very often.

I have never read or heard Chizik blame tubs for nothing .....he has stated that AU did not have adequate Sec level depth but I have never read or heard him blame Tubbs for anything

There hasn't been any development. Lightning in a bottle made those Tuberville players stand out.

It took Chizik two years to make it happen...so those guys just knew what to do already or did Chiz and staff coach them up?

And you are not? You are projectong BP success on what he did at Arky.....The next coach may come in here and pull a Bowden...and the stork did not drop Cam off, no one knew he would have the impact he did on that season. Those are the same awesome players Tubbs went 5-7 or so with...so Chizik and his staff should get some love for developing them.. Look at Tzach, Adams, Bynes, Clayton and others that blossomed under Chizik and staff ...the winning with other coaches players argument is always a weak one ...

Chizik is not a player developer. His philosophy is recruit the best players and let their talent get the Ws. What Chizik should get credit for is 1. manipulating everyone to think he is a much better coach than he actually is and 2. Being an excellent recruiter and relyng on the player development of Tubbs' staff and later Malzahn for the offense that got Chizik his title. That's the cold hard truth whether people want to accept it or not.

I am hoping for Petrino or Jimbo....but what I am really hoping for is that one of these relevant coaches is who we end up with....I don't want it to be like last time when conversations like these were happening and then out of no where there was an announcemnt for Chizik.....please let it be someone who can make a difference.

Chizik is not a player developer. His philosophy is recruit the best players and let their talent get the Ws. What Chizik should get credit for is 1. manipulating everyone to think he is a much better coach than he actually is and 2. Being an excellent recruiter and relyng on the player development of Tubbs' staff and later Malzahn for the offense that got Chizik his title. That's the cold hard truth whether people want to accept it or not.

True but

Tubbs was gone 2 years before Chiz won a title...and he was here for 10 years and won 1 SEC Title...don't discount what Chiz accomplished in 2010

For all you "CBP" is going to fix the world guys. Here is CBP recruiting class rankings at Ark:

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Now the sunshine pumpers (the same ones who once told us what a great coach CGC was) will tell you that CBP can develop players and coach them up. However, if anyone thinks CBP can take the 49th rated class in America and coach them up further than NS can take a top 5 class, I would like to talk to you about investing in a land deal in Arizona.

So, with CBP, we could end up pulling a Dubose like UAT did when they turned a blind eye to his off field issues. They sold their soul and in the end they had a piss poor coach and no soul.

For all you "CBP" is going to fix the world guys. Here is CBP recruiting class rankings at Ark:

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Now the sunshine pumpers (the same ones who once told us what a great coach CGC was) will tell you that CBP can develop players and coach them up. However, if anyone thinks CBP can take the 49th rated class in America and coach them up further than NS can take a top 5 class, I would like to talk to you about investing in a land deal in Arizona.

So, with CBP, we could end up pulling a Dubose like UAT did when they turned a blind eye to his off field issues. They sold their soul and in the end they had a piss poor coach and no soul.

Ummm...actually he did coach up the players at Arky. Those same recruiting classes, are the team that beat the brakes off of us last year. In which, on paper, we out recruited him for 3 straight years. ALOT of good that did huh? Your post doesn't even have enough validity to make an argument, I just wanted to prove a point.

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Aside from your asinine invoking of "sunshine pumpers" for anyone that sees the holes in your "logic", lets point out some other observations you left out.

1. Since Arkansas joined the conference, they have never recruited nearly as well as Auburn, Alabama, LSU or Florida. That 16th rated class was the highest rated class Arky has gotten going all the way back to 2002.

2. The fact of the matter is, coach them up is exactly what he did. When you go 21-5 over your last two seasons with those classes, it's pretty much the textbook definition of coaching them up.

3. He won't be bringing in classes rated that low at Auburn. Even in Tubs laziest days at AU he could pull in a top 20 class. Auburn sits in much more fertile recruiting ground. If he can go 10-3 and 11-2 in the most brutal division in football with the classes he had, he can do at least that well and more with a normal Auburn recruiting class.

4. The second you equated the coaching ability of Dumbose with Petrino, you pretty much branded yourself as someone to stop listening to ever again unless the subject is navel lint.

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Aside from your asinine invoking of "sunshine pumpers" for anyone that sees the holes in your "logic", lets point out some other observations you left out.

1. Since Arkansas joined the conference, they have never recruited nearly as well as Auburn, Alabama, LSU or Florida. That 16th rated class was the highest rated class Arky has gotten going all the way back to 2002.

2. The fact of the matter is, coach them up is exactly what he did. When you go 21-5 over your last two seasons with those classes, it's pretty much the textbook definition of coaching them up.

3. He won't be bringing in classes rated that low at Auburn. Even in Tubs laziest days at AU he could pull in a top 20 class. Auburn sits in much more fertile recruiting ground. If he can go 10-3 and 11-2 in the most brutal division in football with the classes he had, he can do at least that well and more with a normal Auburn recruiting class.

4. The second you equated the coaching ability of Dumbose with Petrino, you pretty much branded yourself as someone to stop listening to ever again unless the subject is navel lint.

Haha...navel lint...Titan gets it.

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

For the 50 billionth time Arky does not have the resources, facilities, or recruiting budget Auburn does. believe it or not those things do have an impact. I don't expect Petrino to be a world beater on the recruiting trail but he will pull in top 15 classes just for being at Auburn. Petrino pulling in top 15 classes with his precision and great player development means they will likely play as a top 5 or top 8 class.

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

2011 24th

ended the season 11-2. Top 5 in the polls Highest end of year AP ranking for the hags in almost 40 years. (some of the 49th ranked recruits playing as freshman and lots of the 36th ranked recruits playing as seniors/RS Jr.)

2010 49th

ended the season 10-3 ranked number 12 in the polls. Hogs 1st BCS bowl EVER

2009 16th

pretty good I'd take that every year.

2008 36th

First year - pass on recruiting, but Petrino led the Razorbacks to a last-second victory over rival and defending national champions and top ranked LSU

Petrino is a better judge of talent than the majority of coaches. He also has won a few head to head battles ,with us, for important recruits.

Imagine what he could do with even slightly better recruits at Auburn!

I will admit that in the beginning I said that I didn't want a scummy coach, and that he would ruin our program and that he would be the worst person to bring in. But, when I realized how hypocritical and unforgiving I was being, I quickly changed my mind. I think that Auburn fans are against Petrino because he represents what we aren't used to. We as fans are used to the warm and fuzzy, I get Auburn's culture, I believe that our first job is to make these boys into respectable men first and great football players second, kind of coach. And to think that, if we really want to win championships, we are going to have to hire a coach that is a saban like cutthroat hard nosed nasty football coach, scares the crap out of the "family" oriented segment of the fanbase because that group is so vehemently opposed to Auburn resembling anything bammer.

But, that group also is the one that complains the most about Auburn not winning National Championships. Would I like to have it both ways? Of course I would, but generally if you really want to be a dominant football program, you have to be able to live with the fact that the coach you hire may be a jerk of an individual, but the son of a gun can coach football and evaluate talent.

If you want to know the type of football coach BP is, look at the difference he made as a coach. Louisville was a good football school before he got there. Not great, but good. They quickly became nc contenders when he arrived. He leaves, kragthorpe comes in and they become irrelevant just as quickly. Same can be said of ark. If he were still coach there, with a senior qb, I think he wins 9. He makes that much of a difference.

Archived