Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

He's a football coach, he's not running for president, although there have been presidents that committed this same sin.

Totally agree, and even if he were running for president I still don't think it would be pertinent to the discussion. A person's professional behavior and their personal life are two seperate issues.

You guys should ask your churches to start running in depth background checks on your preachers and staff. I think that you would be surprised to find out how many of them would have an equal or worse personal history compared to Petrino.

I have a feeling that most of you that are against Petrino are basing this on religous reasons. What happened to not judging others, and more importantly what happened to forgiveness?

The Bible doesn't score sins. A sin is a sin. Adultery and passing judgement are equal in the eyes of God. Forgive and move on.

Well said.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, the best President of the last 50 years committed adultery and lied about it.

Are you referring to Jefferson, Kennedy or Clinton?

Edit: forget jefferson. Longer than 50 years.

In fact, the best President of the last 50 years committed adultery and lied about it.

There is no evidence that Ronald Reagan committed adultery (Surely we are talking about the same President) :flag:

Just for the sake of discussion, does anyone think Petrino would accept the position of offensive coordinator under Chizik?

Also, I wonder if those opposed to Petrino as head coach would feel as strongly opposed to him as OC?

I am not advocating keeping Chizik -- just wondering 'what if?' we did keep him and went after Petrino as OC and curious if anyone believes that would be a possibility and how folks would feel about it.

Just for the sake of discussion, does anyone think Petrino would accept the position of offensive coordinator under Chizik?

Also, I wonder if those opposed to Petrino as head coach would feel as strongly opposed to him as OC?

I am not advocating keeping Chizik -- just wondering 'what if?' we did keep him and went after Petrino as OC and curious if anyone believes that would be a possibility and how folks would feel about it.

I dont have a problem with him as an OC because I do believe in giving people second chances. I just feel like there is a difference between allowing him to work as a positional coach or coordinator to win me over as opposed to handing him the keys to be the face of the university to most people. With that being said, he would not take an OC position at this point.

Personally, I couldn't see this happening. Petrino is a head coach who has been successful, someone will let him run their team. Also I doubt anyone would want to coach under chizik because there is no job security.

"Deduct went over defense, defeat before detail"

Very good Johnny

Now can anyone in the class construct a sentence using the words "trust," "coach," and "Petrino?"

Personally, I couldn't see this happening. Petrino is a head coach who has been successful, someone will let him run their team. Also I doubt anyone would want to coach under chizik because there is no job security.

He's not going to be anyone's OC and Chizik isn't staying.

"Deduct went over defense, defeat before detail"

Very good Johnny

Now can anyone in the class construct a sentence using the words "trust," "coach," and "Petrino?"

I trust that Petrino is an excellent coach.

There is no evidence that Ronald Reagan committed adultery (Surely we are talking about the same President) :flag:

I can't speak for him, however, I do not think he was.............some on the dark side of the moon still believe ronny rayguns was the bomb. :flag::hellyeah:

He's a football coach, he's not running for president, although there have been presidents that committed this same sin.

Totally agree, and even if he were running for president I still don't think it would be pertinent to the discussion. A person's professional behavior and their personal life are two seperate issues.

You guys should ask your churches to start running in depth background checks on your preachers and staff. I think that you would be surprised to find out how many of them would have an equal or worse personal history compared to Petrino.

I have a feeling that most of you that are against Petrino are basing this on religous reasons. What happened to not judging others, and more importantly what happened to forgiveness?

The Bible doesn't score sins. A sin is a sin. Adultery and passing judgement are equal in the eyes of God. Forgive and move on.

I think CBP should be looked at,he is the best coach available.That being said,you are correct,a sin is a sin.But forgiveness and giving somebody a job is not the same thing.

Do you BP fans really think that he will be able to recruit on the same level as he did before? I really don't see a single mom, who has been screwed over by a man or several men, sitting down and listening to the crap he is going to be spewing at them. Nor do I see a happily married mom and dad really taking him seriously. He has a long history of not being truthful with people, his family and his employers. I just don't see where hiring him would do anything good or positive for Auburn University.

As in many things this is another where winning will trump concerns. More times than not many parents will say I don't care what you did off the field. All I want to know is will you win, can you get my boy to the pros, can you keep him out of trouble?. Some may cringe that people put those questions before the morals of BPs private life but like it or not that is the reality of the world we live in. Even though his personal life has been a mess BP can answer yes to all of those questions with confidence. Surprisingly he is a disciplinarian who keeps his players out of trouble. Outside of 2 very early incidents at Louisville he ran that program for 3 years without players causing trouble. Too bad Chizik can't say the same thing...I know high school and college are very different but there is precedent on a big time coach at his level having these kind of personal issues and winning big at a different school. The architect of the Hoover High dynasty, Rush Propst was living a double life by having an affair.
In just his second year of coaching at Colquitt County, Propst took a team that had finished 2-8 in 2007 to an 11-3 season and the state semifinals in 2009.[10][11] In 2010, he led Colquitt County to the GHSA Class 5A State Championship Game.[12] In 2011, Colquitt finished 11-3 after losing 31-35 to eventual state champions Grayson in the state semifinal game

Point being if a coach is good he will continue to be very good. If BP gets his personal life straight he will be succesful somewhere.

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Not the one I referenced.

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

This is completely inaccurate. The father of psychoanalysis is not "out". That's like saying Thomas Jefferson is out because he didn't have a PAC. His theories about psychopathology, the unconscious mind (the id, ego and superego), libido and yes REPRESSION, are very much still accepted today. Hope that is "blunt" enough for your tastes.

That is incorrect by today's standard.

I think CBP should be looked at,he is the best coach available.That being said,you are correct,a sin is a sin.But forgiveness and giving somebody a job is not the same thing.

I agree. Giving him a job should be based on his qualifications and legal background check. It should have nothing to do with his current nor previous personal life. Black balling a great employee due to personal problems is the mark of a failing business.

Ok, here is what I think is a key question regarding Petrino. Personal issues, morality, and integrity issues aside, what the hell kind of hack coach (besides maybe his brother) would risk their reputation to be on his staff? The only thing he could put together is a BBQ bunch 2.0. He already has a problem getting a decent defensive coordinator as it is.

Let's say he is hired 5 days after the IB. This goofy conversation will switch to "Who will be the Co's." Then everyone in here will be crying about why he didn't pick this guy or that guy to lead the D (assuming he does pick his bro to lead the O, or he could do it himself).

C'mon ladies and gentlemen. Petrino is not the answer. He'll never be the coach he was. He's not the man he was. Nobody could go on doing their job after public tar and feathering the way he got it (deservedly or not, depending on your view). AND he'll have to do it ALL OVER again when he is hired to whatever school. This will not and cannot happen.

I agree. Giving him a job should be based on his qualifications and legal background check. It should have nothing to do with his current nor previous personal life. Black balling a great employee due to personal problems is the mark of a failing business.

Agree,though sometimes a person's private life does effect their job,it just depends on the job and the situation.(see General Petraus).

Ok, here is what I think is a key question regarding Petrino. Personal issues, morality, and integrity issues aside, what the hell kind of hack coach (besides maybe his brother) would risk their reputation to be on his staff? The only thing he could put together is a BBQ bunch 2.0. He already has a problem getting a decent defensive coordinator as it is.

Let's say he is hired 5 days after the IB. This goofy conversation will switch to "Who will be the Co's." Then everyone in here will be crying about why he didn't pick this guy or that guy to lead the D (assuming he does pick his bro to lead the O, or he could do it himself).

C'mon ladies and gentlemen. Petrino is not the answer. He'll never be the coach he was. He's not the man he was. Nobody could go on doing their job after public tar and feathering the way he got it (deservedly or not, depending on your view). AND he'll have to do it ALL OVER again when he is hired to whatever school. This will not and cannot happen.

Didn't he work with BVG? And the thing is, Petrino is in need of two things: A job and an opportunity to do what he does best. Coach football. This crap about, "we can't trust him." or "He will leave us high and dry." is neither here nor there. He may be just what Auburn has been searching for, for the last 20 years.

It's great to speak for other parents but with what you know about BP, and his past... Would you be willing to allow your son to play for him vs some other coaches with better moral fiber so to speak.....I have two boys one 7, one 16 who happens to play football - BP would be an extremely tough sell to me as parent...

It's great to speak for other parents but with what you know about BP, and his past... Would you be willing to allow your son to play for him vs some other coaches with better moral fiber so to speak.....I have two boys one 7, one 16 who happens to play football - BP would be an extremely tough sell to me as parent...

Would you let him play for saban?

Rush Propst says hello

Didn't he work with BVG? And the thing is, Petrino is in need of two things: A job and an opportunity to do what he does best. Coach football. This crap about, "we can't trust him." or "He will leave us high and dry." is neither here nor there. He may be just what Auburn has been searching for, for the last 20 years.

You didn't address anything in my post, so I'm not real sure why you quoted. If your BVG comment was in reference to my "what coach would work with him" question must not have been specific enough. I didn't ask "What coach would have..." or "What coach did..." My question is "What coach will work with him now, assuming he is hired."

Nowhere in my post did I mention that he'd leave first chance he got. So the above is the only thing that even came remotely close of my post.

12pitino.1.190.jpg

Even though he has personal problems he keeps his players in line, wins, and gets the most out of his players so yes he could coach my kids. I don't consider him any worse than Saban.

Archived