Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

For all you "CBP" is going to fix the world guys. Here is CBP recruiting class rankings at Ark:

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Now the sunshine pumpers (the same ones who once told us what a great coach CGC was) will tell you that CBP can develop players and coach them up. However, if anyone thinks CBP can take the 49th rated class in America and coach them up further than NS can take a top 5 class, I would like to talk to you about investing in a land deal in Arizona.

So, with CBP, we could end up pulling a Dubose like UAT did when they turned a blind eye to his off field issues. They sold their soul and in the end they had a piss poor coach and no soul.

Ummm...actually he did coach up the players at Arky. Those same recruiting classes, are the team that beat the brakes off of us last year. In which, on paper, we out recruited him for 3 straight years. ALOT of good that did huh? Your post doesn't even have enough validity to make an argument, I just wanted to prove a point.

Keep in mind, the standard at AU is NOT to be good enough to beat last year's AU team, the standard is to be good enough to beat every year's UAT team. I didn't verify it, but according to SI, BP is 0-4 vs UAT at Ark (I actually thought he had won one game).

Also, though you can't blame it all on BP, he WAS the father of this year's Ark team and frankly, I don't seem them winning a whole lot more games with him there. Getting fired may have helped his reputation as a coach as had he been on the sideline at Ark this year, IMO, nobody would be begging for him.

I never said he could not coach up players, I said he could not coach a # 20 ranked recruiting class up as far as NS can coach up a top 5 class. If you guys want to believe he can take a #20 ranked class and "Coach it up" to consistently beat NS's top 3 classes, more power to you.

NS is a recruiting machine and IMO to beat him consistently on the field, you have to consistently be competitive with his recruiting classes.

Impossible when they are winning NC's....Saban will have his day, rest assured. But...we can't design everything around Saban, that is stupid.

It is NOT impossible, this staff IS and HAS been consistently competitive with NS in recruiting.

BP is at the flagship institution of his state THE university of Ark and he can't even control the state of Ark in recruiting. Out of state schools go in there at take top prospects regularly.

Yeah, great we have a bunch of 4&5* players, that are being dumbed down to 1* level. It's not always the rating of the player that is end all. Tubs showed us that, come on man. You can do better than that.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Bobby Petrino has baggage, but the man knows how to put an damn good offense on the field, and given AU's tradition and history, and with the right hire for DC (whether that would be BVG or whomever), he can turn AU back into the power we've come to know and love. Jimbo Fisher would be a good hire, but if AU has to pay buy-outs on Chizik and the staff, does AU really want to add paying the buy-out for Fisher's contract? Get Bobby Petrino, and the first winning season he puts on the board, which could be his first season, how many AU folks will still be moaning about the baggage?

For all you "CBP" is going to fix the world guys. Here is CBP recruiting class rankings at Ark:

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Now the sunshine pumpers (the same ones who once told us what a great coach CGC was) will tell you that CBP can develop players and coach them up. However, if anyone thinks CBP can take the 49th rated class in America and coach them up further than NS can take a top 5 class, I would like to talk to you about investing in a land deal in Arizona.

So, with CBP, we could end up pulling a Dubose like UAT did when they turned a blind eye to his off field issues. They sold their soul and in the end they had a piss poor coach and no soul.

Ummm...actually he did coach up the players at Arky. Those same recruiting classes, are the team that beat the brakes off of us last year. In which, on paper, we out recruited him for 3 straight years. ALOT of good that did huh? Your post doesn't even have enough validity to make an argument, I just wanted to prove a point.

Keep in mind, the standard at AU is NOT to be good enough to beat last year's AU team, the standard is to be good enough to beat every year's UAT team. I didn't verify it, but according to SI, BP is 0-4 vs UAT at Ark (I actually thought he had won one game).

Also, though you can't blame it all on BP, he WAS the father of this year's Ark team and frankly, I don't seem them winning a whole lot more games with him there. Getting fired may have helped his reputation as a coach as had he been on the sideline at Ark this year, IMO, nobody would be begging for him.

I never said he could not coach up players, I said he could not coach a # 20 ranked recruiting class up as far as NS can coach up a top 5 class. If you guys want to believe he can take a #20 ranked class and "Coach it up" to consistently beat NS's top 3 classes, more power to you.

NS is a recruiting machine and IMO to beat him consistently on the field, you have to consistently be competitive with his recruiting classes.

Impossible when they are winning NC's....Saban will have his day, rest assured. But...we can't design everything around Saban, that is stupid.

It is NOT impossible, this staff IS and HAS been consistently competitive with NS in recruiting.

BP is at the flagship institution of his state THE university of Ark and he can't even control the state of Ark in recruiting. Out of state schools go in there at take top prospects regularly.

This is a good point. We've poached a few from Arky.

Since Petrino has hired a different group of folks to represent him, which by the way is out of California I think, does anyone think its possible he coaches at Cal now instead of Auburn or at least tries to get there first?

Yes, Bobby Petrino has baggage, but the man knows how to put an damn good offense on the field, and given AU's tradition and history, and with the right hire for DC (whether that would be BVG or whomever), he can turn AU back into the power we've come to know and love. Jimbo Fisher would be a good hire, but if AU has to pay buy-outs on Chizik and the staff, does AU really want to add paying the buy-out for Fisher's contract? Get Bobby Petrino, and the first winning season he puts on the board, which could be his first season, how many AU folks will still be moaning about the baggage?

Thats the thing that is mind boggling to me. If BP had not had his troubles, all the naysayers would welcome him wholeheartedly. But instead, they are trying to nitpick the man to death, which I refuse to do. ANYONE can change. Most everyone here has had an event in their lives they wish they could take back and get a second chance on. That's my point on the matter. It's not all about bammer envy as alot of you point out.

Since Petrino has hired a different group of folks to represent him, which by the way is out of California I think, does anyone think its possible he coaches at Cal now instead of Auburn or at least tries to get there first?

Thats an interesting question which I dont have an answer but I will say this, getting back into the busines somewhere outside of the southeast could be a good career choice for him IMO.

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

Yeah, great we have a bunch of 4&5* players, that are being dumbed down to 1* level. It's not always the rating of the player that is end all. Tubs showed us that, come on man. You can do better than that.

I agree with part of what you say. My point is I would prefer to have a coach who can sign 4 and 5 star players and coach THEM up. That is the ONLY way we are going to compete with the guys across the state.

Like Bear Bryant said, you ain't going to win the Kentucky Derby with a Plow Mule and I couldn't win the Kentucky Derby riding secretariat.

The two critical equally important parts are coaching and recruiting. I am not ignoring the coaching aspect, but the hire BP crowd seems to be ignoring the recruiting part.

Remember CHANGE only means DIFFERENT, change does not, by definition, mean BETTER.

It's entirely possible. Look, the man is going to coach somewhere. There will be someone that is willing to take a chance on him due to his coaching resume.

I think he'll likely exhaust all avenues to coach in the SEC first, but that he'll be a head coach somewhere in 2013.

I think he'll likely exhaust all avenues to coach in the SEC first, but that he'll be a head coach somewhere in 2013.

If he is smart he will. Anyone that is truly worth their weight wants to coach in the SEC.

One more time..........NO PETRINO. There are too many coaches out there available to settle for him. He brings way too much baggage with him. We need stability,and NO MORE DRAMA of any kind. This program is rocking with all the negativity lately from players failures and Coaches lack of control. Bring an older settled Coach with coaching success or a young fiery Coach from a smaller program,like Northern Illinois, or similar.

Let me get this straight. Instead of AU bringing in a proven winner ( baggage or not), you want AU to bring in another Chizik? Sorry but I will take the baggage. It will be forgotten after a winning season.

For the record, I am not in the BP bandwagon. But if he is hired I will support him.

If you think it will go away after a winning season IMO you're mistaken. I heard about CTT and Ole Miss all the way up to his departure from Auburn.

Wikipedia but still,

“Tuberville got his first collegiate head coaching job in 1994 at the University of Mississippi. He took over a Rebel team under severe NCAA scholarship sanctions and was named the SEC Coach of the Year in 1997 by the AP. During his tenure, he acquired the nickname "The Riverboat Gambler" for his aggressive play calling, particularly on 4th down. While at Mississippi Tuberville made the statement, "They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box," in reference to not leaving to coach at another school. Two days after he made that statement, it was announced that he was departing for Auburn.”

Or if you like, “I'm not going to be the Alabama coach.”

2012 34th

2011 24th

2010 49th

2009 16th

2008 36th

I agree with part of what you say. My point is I would prefer to have a coach who can sign 4 and 5 star players and coach THEM up. That is the ONLY way we are going to compete with the guys across the state.

Like Bear Bryant said, you ain't going to win the Kentucky Derby with a Plow Mule and I couldn't win the Kentucky Derby riding secretariat.

The two critical equally important parts are coaching and recruiting. I am not ignoring the coaching aspect, but the hire BP crowd seems to be ignoring the recruiting part.

Remember CHANGE only means DIFFERENT, change does not, by definition, mean BETTER.

I agree recruiting makes a difference. Auburn will sell itself with success on the field. All I'm saying is with BP's known offensive firepower recruits would flock to him to play in his system. Just as they do with satan, because he is successful and puts players in the NFL. I don't view BP as the messiah of coaches, but he's damn good at evaluating players and putting them into the best fit for his teams. Alot like Gus, he knows how to make his system work with the talent he has. Part of me still holds a grudge against Chizik for ruining what Gus brought to the table. IMO we really tanked on that deal.

Thats the thing that is mind boggling to me. If BP had not had his troubles, all the naysayers would welcome him wholeheartedly. But instead, they are trying to nitpick the man to death, which I refuse to do. ANYONE can change. Most everyone here has had an event in their lives they wish they could take back and get a second chance on. That's my point on the matter. It's not all about bammer envy as alot of you point out.

I think you're mis-characterizing the concerns of those who are not Petrino fans. Its not his troubles its his pattern of being all in for himself. Lying to those that are paying him a premium salary. Leaving at his discretion with no notice and being disloyal. Look, Im not calling the guy a miserable lout but he dont miss it by much.....LOL

to all who would want petrino,

You all are fools! Not only do you have the moral baggage, the biggest issue is he has proven that as soon as

the going gets tough, he is gone!- (Atlanta when vick is put in jail)

Don't let facts get in the way of an idiotic screed. He left Atlanta partly because the job he signed up for was not the debacle he was handed instead. But also, he wanted to get back to college and quit dealing with spoiled millionaires and his wife hated living in Atlanta. Also, that's one job. He left Louisville at their peak (12-1 season, Big East title and an Orange Bowl win). He had no intention of leaving Arkansas and his latest season was 11-2 with his only losses to the two teams who played for the BCS title. How is that proving that "when the going gets tough, he is gone?"

Do some frickin' research before having a bout of diarrhea of the keyboard.

Calling Arkansas the flagship university of that state is like bragging about being the tallest midget. Arkansas doesn't produce enough top talent to be competitive. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana's high school programs are far better and produce way more Division 1 caliber players than Arky ever has.

Yet in spite of the struggles to recruit to a place like Arkansas, he has coached them up to 10 and 11 win seasons the last two years even going up against the 4 and 5-stars at LSU, Bama and Auburn.

Thanks for the advice. I never said to settle for less. In my mind what BP represents is the lowest of low hanging fruit because on the surface it appears to be the easy AND obvious solution. Apparently, you think his selection would be that solution and I have no problem with your opinion, but, I have my own. Im not of the opinion its BP or settle for a loser. I think thats a cop out frankly and an entrance to the low road that so much of the logic I read in here is based on. I do not believe he is our only option to achieving what people want to achieve within the football program. If its OK with you, I'll continue to post at my leisure.

And if you continue to try and tell people why they want to hire Petrino by asserting some understanding of the underlying psychological motivations, I'll call you on it. If you keep doing it, you won't post at your leisure for much longer.

Your choice.

One more time..........NO PETRINO. There are too many coaches out there available to settle for him. He brings way too much baggage with him. We need stability,and NO MORE DRAMA of any kind. This program is rocking with all the negativity lately from players failures and Coaches lack of control. Bring an older settled Coach with coaching success or a young fiery Coach from a smaller program,like Northern Illinois, or similar.

Petrino is a very good disciplinarian. And he scares the crap out of his players. That is much needed at Auburn.

Calling Arkansas the flagship university of that state is like bragging about being the tallest midget. Arkansas doesn't produce enough top talent to be competitive. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana's high school programs are far better and produce way more Division 1 caliber players than Arky ever has.

Yet in spite of the struggles to recruit to a place like Arkansas, he has coached them up to 10 and 11 win seasons the last two years even going up against the 4 and 5-stars at LSU, Bama and Auburn.

Regardless, they obviously had players that schools with better recruiting bases wanted and he allowed schools from those areas to come in and take those players.

Ark only has one big time D1 school (I doubt Ark looses many players they want to Ark state) and there is enough talent their to support one school, they just needed a coach who can keep those players in state.

Petrino is a very good disciplinarian. And he scares the crap out of his players. That is much needed at Auburn.

Discipline starts with oneself. Two Principles of leadership:

1. You can't teach someone something you don't know

2. You can't lead someone to be something you are not

I am not judging anyone, just making an observation

Yes, Petrino did lose some high profile recruits, most notably to Auburn. Then he beat the absolute crap out of them on the field (yes, we won in 2010, but he did hang 45 on us, with his second string qb). That's why I want this guy so much. He takes lesser talent to bcs bowls. No one has a more prepared team. Imagine what he could do with Auburn's advantages.

Discipline starts with oneself. Two Principles of leadership:

1. You can't teach someone something you don't know

2. You can't lead someone to be something you are not

I am not judging anyone, just making an observation

Would you argue that Gen David Petraeus isnt a man of great discipline and leadership? Fact is you dont acheive the status and stature that these men have acheived without possessing great self-discipline

Regardless, they obviously had players that schools with better recruiting bases wanted and he allowed schools from those areas to come in and take those players.

Ark only has one big time D1 school (I doubt Ark looses many players they want to Ark state) and there is enough talent their to support one school, they just needed a coach who can keep those players in state.

No, there isn't. Just looking at Rivals right now. The Rivals shows 10 prospects from Arkansas right now with potential to be in the Rivals 100 or 250. Of those ten, two are 4-stars and the rest are 3-stars. Contrast that with these:

Alabama: 30 prospects, three 5-stars, eight 4-stars, nineteen 3-stars.

Mississippi: 20 prospects, four 4-stars, sixteen 3-stars

Louisiana: 40 prospects, fourteen 4-stars, twenty-six 3-stars

Tennessee: 25 prospects, one 5-star, eight 4-stars, sixteen 3-stars

And don't even get me started looking at states like Georgia or Florida. Arkansas and Auburn are in vastly different recruiting areas. It's not even close.

You're spewing uninformed nonsense. There is nowhere close to enough talent there to support one school competing in the SEC. It wouldn't matter if he signed all 10 of those top prospects.

No, there isn't. Just looking at Rivals right now. The Rivals shows 10 prospects from Arkansas right now with potential to be in the Rivals 100 or 250. Of those ten, two are 4-stars and the rest are 3-stars. Contrast that with these:

Alabama: 30 prospects, three 5-stars, eight 4-stars, nineteen 3-stars.

Mississippi: 20 prospects, four 4-stars, sixteen 3-stars

Louisiana: 40 prospects, fourteen 4-stars, twenty-six 3-stars

Tennessee: 25 prospects, one 5-star, eight 4-stars, sixteen 3-stars

And don't even get me started looking at states like Georgia or Florida. Arkansas and Auburn are in vastly different recruiting areas. It's not even close.

You're spewing uninformed nonsense. There is nowhere close to enough talent there to support one school competing in the SEC. It wouldn't matter if he signed all 10 of those top prospects.

I like this TitanTiger guy. :hellyeah:

I was initially against BP hire but the more I read/hear from sanctimonious people the more I want him. If you want to win games, BP is probably the best coach out there we have a chance to get. I would put him in the top 5 coaches nationwide. BP and BVG would be a force to be reckoned with.

I was initially against BP hire but the more I read/hear from sanctimonious people the more I want him. If you want to win games, BP is probably the best coach out there we have a chance to get. I would put him in the top 5 coaches nationwide. BP and BVG would be a force to be reckoned with.

Agree.

Archived