Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Ok, here is what I think is a key question regarding Petrino. Personal issues, morality, and integrity issues aside, what the hell kind of hack coach (besides maybe his brother) would risk their reputation to be on his staff? The only thing he could put together is a BBQ bunch 2.0. He already has a problem getting a decent defensive coordinator as it is.

Let's say he is hired 5 days after the IB. This goofy conversation will switch to "Who will be the Co's." Then everyone in here will be crying about why he didn't pick this guy or that guy to lead the D (assuming he does pick his bro to lead the O, or he could do it himself).

C'mon ladies and gentlemen. Petrino is not the answer. He'll never be the coach he was. He's not the man he was. Nobody could go on doing their job after public tar and feathering the way he got it (deservedly or not, depending on your view). AND he'll have to do it ALL OVER again when he is hired to whatever school. This will not and cannot happen.

Rush Propst says hello

Would you really like to compare the media buzz between the two, e?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

Hmm... Based on your statement of your age, I think it should be pointed out that most (nearly all) of Freud's theories are no longer accepted in the modern day psych world.

Not the one I referenced.

To put it more bluntly, Freud is out.

This is completely inaccurate. The father of psychoanalysis is not "out". That's like saying Thomas Jefferson is out because he didn't have a PAC. His theories about psychopathology, the unconscious mind (the id, ego and superego), libido and yes REPRESSION, are very much still accepted today. Hope that is "blunt" enough for your tastes.

That is incorrect by today's standard.

Can you explain please? Examples would be greatly appreciated. I've always hated dogma.

Ok, here is what I think is a key question regarding Petrino. Personal issues, morality, and integrity issues aside, what the hell kind of hack coach (besides maybe his brother) would risk their reputation to be on his staff? The only thing he could put together is a BBQ bunch 2.0. He already has a problem getting a decent defensive coordinator as it is.

Let's say he is hired 5 days after the IB. This goofy conversation will switch to "Who will be the Co's." Then everyone in here will be crying about why he didn't pick this guy or that guy to lead the D (assuming he does pick his bro to lead the O, or he could do it himself).

C'mon ladies and gentlemen. Petrino is not the answer. He'll never be the coach he was. He's not the man he was. Nobody could go on doing their job after public tar and feathering the way he got it (deservedly or not, depending on your view). AND he'll have to do it ALL OVER again when he is hired to whatever school. This will not and cannot happen.

12pitino.1.190.jpg

Could BP handle that pressure to come back and continue to coach? Well sure, let's give it a shot, I guess.

12pitino.1.190.jpg

Could BP handle that pressure to come back and continue to coach? Well sure, let's give it a shot, I guess.

Just saying. You act as if it's a given that all your worst fears must come true. I don't buy it.

You don't think his credibility has been dinged a bit? Will he still be able to swing the discipline stick, with players,coaches and parents knowing about his trangressions? Like it or not the stink on this guy is going to linger, and his leash is ten times shorter than many other coaches. He has to win big and win big immediately....no 9-3, or 10-2...it's SEC championships or bust....yes another coach is expected to do the same, but the torches and pitchforks will come out a lot quicker for BP, mainly because there will be such a division if he is hired ...

On top of comparing Pitino to Petrino, up until last year, Louisville hasn't really accomplished much. Yea they made it to the tourny consistently but that's about all you can hope for out of them. Petrino was never really relevant in any high stake game and certainly not to the level Pitino was.

Rush Propst says hello

For the levels they are in the buzz was just as impactfull and Propst faced just as much pressure allbeit from a much smaller group of people as BP will face.

You don't think his credibility has been dinged a bit? Will he still be able to swing the discipline stick, with players,coaches and parents knowing about his trangressions? Like it or not the stink on this guy is going to linger, and his leash is ten times shorter than many other coaches. He has to win big and win big immediately....no 9-3, or 10-2...it's SEC championships or bust....yes another coach is expected to do the same, but the torches and pitchforks will come out a lot quicker for BP, mainly because there will be such a division if he is hired ...

Wholeheartedly disagree. After the complete disaster Chizik has created any coach will have minimum 2 or 3 years to right the ship as long as players are disciplined and the coach does not create off the field problems.

To which he's never really been relevant as a HC.

And, no Titan, that's not the way I'm acting. I really came to ask a simple question that has yet to be answered or even be taken into consideration. If you guys want BP, that's cool with me. I have no real "vested interest" other than being fanatical as all hell, and dumping hundred's of dollars a year in clothing, occasional tickets, etc (which now that I live in Warner Robins is likely about to go up since I'm 700 miles closer). But even I hate the black eyes that AU has endured the last few years. I'd hate to see it get another one. You can tell me "You act as if your worst fears must come true," but all these BP supporters act like he's going to resurrect this program. That, I do not buy.

On top of comparing Pitino to Petrino, up until last year, Louisville hasn't really accomplished much. Yea they made it to the tourny consistently but that's about all you can hope for out of them.

Yeah, you're right. What with those two Elite Eight appearances, three 30+ win seasons and a Final Four...hardly any accomplishment.

Petrino was never really relevant in any high stake game and certainly not to the level Pitino was.

Of course, he's yet to be able to coach one of the better programs in college football as Pitino has in basketball.

Rush Propst says hello

For the levels they are in the buzz was just as impactfull and Propst faced just as much pressure allbeit from a much smaller group of people as BP will face.

The entire country know who BP is (and not all necessarily for football). Virtually no one outside the state of AL, know who Probst is. The cases, while obviously close in nature, are completely different in terms of humiliation. On top of which, I'm sure a HS team is much easier to run than that of a major college.

Total bull****. Sorry, but that's ridiculous. When you coach two different teams to 10+ wins in 4 of your 6 seasons as a head coach, neither of which are big time powers and make two BCS bowl games in the process, you are quite relevant.

On top of that, I disagree that 9-3 or 10-2 wouldn't be a sufficient turnaround in the first year or two. We're about to complete an 0-8 season in the SEC. You're drunk if you think he had to start winning titles immediately.

And, no Titan, that's not the way I'm acting. I really came to ask a simple question that has yet to be answered or even be taken into consideration. If you guys want BP, that's cool with me. I have no real "vested interest" other than being fanatical as all hell, and dumping hundred's of dollars a year in clothing, occasional tickets, etc (which now that I live in Warner Robins is likely about to go up since I'm 700 miles closer). But even I hate the black eyes that AU has endured the last few years. I'd hate to see it get another one. You can tell me "You act as if your worst fears must come true," but all these BP supporters act like he's going to resurrect this program. That, I do not buy.

His track record at schools with no nearly the ability to compete at the top says otherwise.

On top of comparing Pitino to Petrino, up until last year, Louisville hasn't really accomplished much. Yea they made it to the tourny consistently but that's about all you can hope for out of them.

Yeah, you're right. What with those two Elite Eight appearances, two 30 win seasons and a Final Four...hardly any accomplishment.

Unfortunately, we're comparing apples and oranges. It would be like saying, "Well, we didn't win a championship, but we did win 9 games while playing in the SEC" when translated to football. Pitino has consistently competed. BP hasn't.

Yeah, you're right. What with those two Elite Eight appearances, two 30 win seasons and a Final Four...hardly any accomplishment.

Unfortunately, we're comparing apples and oranges. It would be like saying, "Well, we didn't win a championship, but we did win 9 games while playing in the SEC" when translated to football. Pitino has consistently competed. BP hasn't.

You just said they hadn't accomplished much. I pointed out that (now corrected) that they have 3 seasons of 30 or more wins, 2 Elite Eight and 1 Final Four appearance. It directly contradicts your premise. Now you're moving the goalposts.

And I'm sorry, but when you take a team that isn't a traditional power, in an division that was been the dominant one in all of college football (4 of the last 5 national titles) and you manage to go 10-3 and 11-2 in your most recent two season, you're competing. Period.

Total bull****. Sorry, but that's ridiculous. When you coach two different teams to 10+ wins in 4 of your 6 seasons as a head coach, neither of which are big time powers and make two BCS bowl games in the process, you are quite relevant.

On top of that, I disagree that 9-3 or 10-2 wouldn't be a sufficient turnaround in the first year or two. We're about to complete an 0-8 season in the SEC. You're drunk if you think he had to start winning titles immediately.

His track record at schools with no nearly the ability to compete at the top says otherwise.

Maybe you missed the highlighted part?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Again, I don't *personally* care and he may end up being the best thing that's ever happened to Auburn if indeed he is hired in a few weeks. I don't know. I'll gladly eat crow if he comes in and turns things around. But the questions to my OP on the subject have yet to be answered, which is why I came in the first place. Not to argue about what he will do or won't do. None of us know, so the point is moot.

You just said they hadn't accomplished much. I pointed out that (now corrected) that they have 3 seasons of 30 or more wins, 2 Elite Eight and 1 Final Four appearance. It directly contradicts your premise. Now you're moving the goalposts.

And I'm sorry, but when you take a team that isn't a traditional power, in an division that was been the dominant one in all of college football (4 of the last 5 national titles) and you manage to go 10-3 and 11-2 in your most recent two season, you're competing. Period.

Fair enough. Close but no cigar will do for me.

Wholeheartedly disagree. After the complete disaster Chizik has created any coach will have minimum 2 or 3 years to right the ship as long as players are disciplined and the coach does not create off the field problems.

If Petrino wins 4 sec games next year every Auburn fan will be positively giddy.

If Petrino wins 4 sec games next year every Auburn fan will be positively giddy.

Which BP has already been known to do.

I'll try to answer your question as honestly as I can, because I think it's the crux of the dissent. So, will Auburn's reputation take a hit? Probably. But what is Auburn's reputation now outside of the Auburn family? Let's face facts, it's awful. Every person that doesn't have a vested interest makes a statement like "y'all need to buy another quarterback." Do we deserve this reputation? I say wholeheartedly no, but the fact remains that that's the perception of our program. So my question is: why do we care if our perception takes a hit?

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Again, so is Saban. I guess we are too good for him too.

yep

I continue to fail to see what relevance Nick Saban has to this issue. I for one thnk Saban is perfect fit at Alabama. There is an awful lot of ENVY issues circulating among Auburn fans about now. Its sad to have to admit that what Bama fans have always said about Auburn fans has come true. They've always contended that all we wanted was to be like them. Seems we're there

The similarities are these. Both are successful football coaches that have publically lied. Also in Saban's case when he was hired some people (bama fans and otherwise) said such things as "you can't trust him" or "he'll never be able to recruit because everyone knows he's a liar" or "Alabama is better than him". People are also saying this about Petrino.

And to say I have "bama envy" is inaccurate. I have winning envy. Auburn has won in the past, and I believe they certainly can in the future. It just bugs the heck out of me that Auburn has the opportunity to hire a great coach but people want to cast moral aspersions and feel good about themselves instead of giving a great coach a second chance. Could he screw Auburn and leave in the middle of the night? Absolutely. But it's just as possible that he could be so grateful that Auburn gave him a second chance that he dedicates his life to putting Auburn football where it belongs, on top. A humble, hungry Bobby Petrino would be a force to be reckoned with.

That's my opinion of the state of the school I love.

I AGREE WITH ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Which BP has already been known to do.

Would still be an accomplishment considering the disaster Chizik has created. Petrino is one who will cut the fat from chixik if players do not fall in line. Plus we have 4 SEC games next season against top 10 teams

I'll try to answer your question as honestly as I can, because I think it's the crux of the dissent. So, will Auburn's reputation take a hit? Probably. But what is Auburn's reputation now outside of the Auburn family? Let's face facts, it's awful. Every person that doesn't have a vested interest makes a statement like "y'all need to buy another quarterback." Do we deserve this reputation? I say wholeheartedly no, but the fact remains that that's the perception of our program. So my question is: why do we care if our perception takes a hit?

Again, that wasn't my question....will post again.

This was my original question.

Not trying to make a comparison, they are totally two different circumstances. But it kind of remindes me of when we got Cam here. He was given a second chance and responded very well to it. Maybe if we were to get BP, he would try to do the same thing.

Archived