Auburn vs. Arkansas hire

El Tiburon

I work in Chicago with several Wisconsin grads and fans. They are happy and thrilled Bielema is gone. They told me he has a reputation with females similar to Petrino, that he is known to have several paramours at the university in spite of being married. And that his days were numbered because of these trysts. Sounds like Arkansas has traded one morally challenged coach for another. He may be a good football coach, but I now wonder how long it will be before he has his "motorcycle" moment.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was traveling and listening to Sirius all week. I found it humorous that many talking heads raved over the surprise hire of Bret to Ark. However, most of the conversations were about callers and broadcasters mispronouncing his last name. If he is such a great hire why does it seem to be so difficult for people to know his name?

My thoughts were what is the upside potential of the hires? What are the identities of their previous works? What has been their prowess for recruiting?

Upside potential - Gus hands down. Bret has been consistent but not spectacular.

Identities - Gus has excitement. Bret has cloud of dust. I like Gus.

Recruiting - Gus is excellent. Bret cried about Meyer saying they don't want that SEC style recruiting in the Big 10

Gus wins easy.

To answer your question, yes, they did have a lot bigger hire than us by far.

Actually, no they did not.

I work in Chicago with several Wisconsin grads and fans. They are happy and thrilled Bielema is gone. They told me he has a reputation with females similar to Petrino, that he is known to have several paramours at the university in spite of being married. And that his days were numbered because of these trysts. Sounds like Arkansas has traded one morally challenged coach for another. He may be a good football coach, but I now wonder how long it will be before he has his "motorcycle" moment.

That is why Arky likes him enough to give him keys to the program.

your friends are fools, BB had those encounters when he was 36-38, that has not been the case for years. very connected to the program, I am friends with the strength coach for the rb's at UW and numerous alumni players. There is no chance of a motorcycle moment anymore, they remember when they were there. I agree that he will not succeed at Arkansas because it is Arkansas, but lets not be the fanbase that makes these type of comments, simply not true anymore, but were true at one time when he was single and not married.

I think Coach Bulemia couldn't tie Malzahn's shoes. What a joke of a hire. Arky is once again a non-factor in the SEC.

Thus the reason you have a frustrated Hog fan rooting full power for the AU Tigers.

Bielema seem to know he was going down, and our AD didn't have anyone else BESIDES GUS MALZAHN a phone call away and it didn't happen. That literary blew my mind!

But with Auburn's hiring of Gus, I'm on board and once again can really thouroughly enjoy one of my few favorite past times, SEC football!

Thanks Auburn by the way for hiring him! You rock in my book.

This is the first I've heard of this, but I'm not surprised in the least. Seems to be the way to coach in Arkansas. The story was Houston Nutt really logged some text messages (including in DURING GAMES) to a certain news reporter. I'm not saying her name, but it's not good.

In one sense, yes, he was the bigger hire because he makes a bigger PR splash, IMO. However, I think Auburn hired the perfect person for this job. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think Malzahn will be considered a premier coach on a national level within 5 years.

It won't be that far out my friend. I'm saying 2 years.

your friends are fools, BB had those encounters when he was 36-38, that has not been the case for years. very connected to the program, I am friends with the strength coach for the rb's at UW and numerous alumni players. There is no chance of a motorcycle moment anymore, they remember when they were there. I agree that he will not succeed at Arkansas because it is Arkansas, but lets not be the fanbase that makes these type of comments, simply not true anymore, but were true at one time when he was single and not married.

First, I don't appreciate you making a reference to my friends as fools. These friends are very close to several people with the program and the issues are not all old. Another thing, he is only 42, so even if it was limited to your time frame, that is only 4 years ago. Finally, a coach that is 36 - 38 shouldn't be chasing college co-eds. And as to your assinine comment about a fanbase that doesn't make these type of comments, I was sharing current opinions and knowledge of a a coach that was the topic of conversation. Brett is not a choirboy, and Arkansas didn't do themselves any favors with his hire.

In one sense, yes, he was the bigger hire because he makes a bigger PR splash, IMO. However, I think Auburn hired the perfect person for this job. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think Malzahn will be considered a premier coach on a national level within 5 years.

It won't be that far out my friend. I'm saying 2 years.

I was actually thinking 3, but said within 5 just to give him a bit extra time to overcome any unforeseen obstacles. Two years is a stretch, IMO, simply because he would essentially have to win a national championship one year and have at least a ten win season in the other to hit such consideration nationally. And I say it that way because I'm speaking more of national perception than of reality.

Nevertheless, I sincerely think Auburn got it right with this one!

First, I don't appreciate you making a reference to my friends as fools. These friends are very close to several people with the program and the issues are not all old. Another thing, he is only 42, so even if it was limited to your time frame, that is only 4 years ago. Finally, a coach that is 36 - 38 shouldn't be chasing college co-eds. And as to your assinine comment about a fanbase that doesn't make these type of comments, I was sharing current opinions and knowledge of a a coach that was the topic of conversation. Brett is not a choirboy, and Arkansas didn't do themselves any favors with his hire.

sorry for calling your friends fools. Their information use to be accurate but it is no longer the case, hasn't been for years. Living in Madison for 10 years and have been around their program since 2004. Those stories were so long ago I had almost forgotten about them, Barry put an end to that quickly, I know that as a fact. Only Brett will prove if he is a good hire or not, you can have your opinion, but to assume he is gonna cheat on his wife while at Arky is silly.

BB is a proven winner Gus is an X factor that's what pisses me off JJ never hires proven always X factor.

You really lack intelligence don't you? Bless your simple heart. BB won some games at Wisky (but did he ever win a Rose Bowl?) because he was a natural fit for Wisky after Alvarez retired. He may or may not win games at Arky because who knows if he is a good fit or not.

Gus won a conference championship in his only season as a HC and has been a part of great offenses everywhere he has been the OC unless he was interfered with by the HC. Gus is a better fit for AU that BB would have been for AU based on many factors.

Bitch about JJ all you want to and I will agree JJ is a moron and needs to be fired; however, you are showing your simple nature, stupidity and elementary reasoning skills by trying to say BB would be a better coach at AU than Gus Malzahn.

wde

. Only Brett will prove if he is a good hire or not, you can have your opinion, but to assume he is gonna cheat on his wife while at Arky is silly.

As a side note..... It is in the culture at arkansas. Their last two coaches fell into the same trap. Nutt and Petrino.

BB is a proven winner Gus is an X factor that's what pisses me off JJ never hires proven always X factor.

Well let me assure you that you are in for a nice surprise. Feel free to quote me on this, and please flag this post and come back this time next year and thank me ;-)

By the way, here is the REALITY of Bielema's "proven" success at Wisconsin:

Bret Bielema was 68-24 while at Wisconsin. That sounds fabulous if 68-24 is the only thing you look at.

Here it is broken down with facts-

Bret was 23-1 vs. Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois.

But coach Beilema was only 16-18 vs. the rest of the B1G.

What's worse is Bielema was 11-14 vs. RANKED teams (which is what REALLY counts)

He was 2-4 in bowls, and 0-2 in BCS bowls and one of the Rose Bowl losses was against TCU who was in the Mountain West Conference at the time WITH MWC PLAYERS!

So Bielema's "proven" success seriously proves very little when you read it for what it really is.

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

Does Arkansas have the players to run his type offense? They have been recruiting for Petrino's offense for the past 5 or 6 years. I don't think they will magically jump into a big 10 offense.

I think plenty of people are trying to make themselves feel better by trashing Arkansas and Bielema. Arkansas swung for the fence going after Gruden, Miles, Peterson (I think) and then reeled in Bielema. At least give Arkansas credit for their effort. I don't think BB will have the success at ARK Petrino would have had if he had been retained, but to act like BB will be a bust is ridiculous. I am sure some of the same people saying Bielema won't make the transition from the Big 10 to the SEC thought Gary Patterson would be a great hire at Auburn when he would have the same damn adjustment ! Before we trash the other hires around the SEC lets' first see how Gus fills out his staff, finsihes off this recruiting class and what we do on the field next year.

War Eagle !

Only thing bigger in Arkansas's hire was Bielema's belly. What a fat boy. He will be in for a rude awakening when it comes to recruiting. We don't play all sweet and nice like they do in the Big 10

Remember him whinning about the way Urban Meyer was recruiting? I wonder if he thinks Saban, Spurrier, & the Mad Hatter in BR will be pushovers?

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

Does Arkansas have the players to run his type offense? They have been recruiting for Petrino's offense for the past 5 or 6 years. I don't think they will magically jump into a big 10 offense.

I am not sure what type of offense BB will run, at WI he ran Barry's offense, he is a defensive coordinator. Should be interesting who his OC hire is, I am not so sure he will look to run the same offense.

He doesn't have exactly a passing philosophy

Arkansas hasn't previously had a running philosophy (but with Mallett and Tyler Wilson, who would?)

Should make for an interesting experiment.

Except when they played AU.

Athlon also is terrible at predictions/rankings. SPortsnation said BB was the best hire. No one will know but time. Getting a 3 time conference champion from the big 10 is impressive though so got to give arkansas credit

Archived