Auburn vs. Arkansas hire

El Tiburon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a stunning coup, Arkansas will hire Wisconsin's Bret Bielema as its next football coach, Yahoo! Sports has learned.
The Badgers will now be scrambling to fill a vacancy they likely never saw coming.

Never liked the Badgers. Especially after 2006 Capitol One bowl. Screw em. As far as Arky good for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--arkansas-to-hire-bret-bielema-195732340.html

Bielema had problems with the way Urban Cryer was recruiting in the Big 10+2. He's gonna have a stroke recruiting in the SEC

Auburn got a coach to fit the players we have. Gus should be able to bring the team together right away and not have to start from scratch recruiting completely different types of players. And while it wasn't said, I think his ability to hold the majority of the 2013 class was an issue.

I'm not jealous of Arky's hire.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Agreed. Arky definitely got the "better, big name" hire, but I think Gus' ceiling is higher.

Good hire for UA but I will bet you any $$$$$$$$ you want he will never win a SEC west division. His teams will play hard but at UA trying to play LSU and Turd ball want be able to match them.

Do you think he will have more success than Petrino?

No he won't have the same success (Bowl record 2-4, nuff said) As with any hire the coordinators are key. The only reason he made it to the Big Ten CG and the Rose bowl is because of OSU and PSU being on probation. He had a stretch of success during a down period in the Big Ten, in the end time will tell. Arky is not built for his style unless he changes his mindset and will suffer for at least 2 years so we won't know for awhile.

Wasn't Bielma the one that had issues with the way Urban was recruiting at OSU? Gentlemen's agreement, I believe? He's gonna have a hard time if he doesn't move past that.

I've never been a Bielema fan (always seemed like a smarta$$ to me), but I have to give him kudos for his success at Wisconsin. I'm not sure how he'll fit in with the culture in Arkansas.

Bingo!!! Nailed It!

I like our hire..there is no doubt about the offense we are going to run. So identity will not be an issue and Coach Malzahn was clear on that in his press conference - up tempo, fast no huddle, run oriented. His 15 yrs of head coaching in high school tells me he is going to help build us back up, wont be in a hurry to move on to the next big job. Heck Auburn is a big job..would like him to stay for years and have that consistency that we need.

Bielema is a good coach and not sure if its a big hire yet. Culture and lack of SEC experience could make it a little tougher for him.

Lets bottom line this BB has championships and Rose Bowl appearances they swung a big stick and got a big @ick JJ is not capable of this though I am reasonably happy with Gus but I dont get why we didnt make a serious run at Jeff Fisher and Gary Patterson. JJ is embarrasing.

I believe we did go hard after Patterson, but he declined. What is it about Jeff Fisher? He was never on the table...that is a bunch of message board garbage. He is an NFL coach...and frankly a mediocre one at best. Get real, people.

You can believe it or not, but Jeff Fisher was indeed on the table. I think Malzahn is a better hire, however.

I like our hire..there is no doubt about the offense we are going to run. So identity will not be an issue and Coach Malzahn was clear on that in his press conference - up tempo, fast no huddle, run oriented. His 15 yrs of head coaching in high school tells me he is going to help build us back up, wont be in a hurry to move on to the next big job. Heck Auburn is a big job..would like him to stay for years and have that consistency that we need.

Bielema is a good coach and not sure if its a big hire yet. Culture and lack of SEC experience could make it a little tougher for him.

I greatly suspect this is exactly the type of job Malzahn has been building toward. If he leaves, on his own terms at least, I strongly doubt it will be for another college team, and I also doubt it will come very soon.

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

On the outside it sure looks like the better hire, so it's fair for the nation to say that.

My opinion.....

I think Bielema will fail big time at Arky and Gus will end up being the better hire.

To answer your question, yes, they did have a lot bigger hire than us by far.

From an outside perception you may be right but how many SEC teams has he beat in his time at Wisconson? How many undefeated seasons has he been a part of at any school? He cannot go undefeated in the weakest "big name" conference with Russell Wilson and Monte Ball, with the O-line and stout defense they had, how is he going to do in a better conference with worse recruiting? I think he is a total mismatch with their talent and his offense could not be more different than BP's. Their defense will probably improve but they will not have the atheletes to compete with Bama, LSU at smash mouth 3 yrd/pile of dust football. My prediction: He never has more than 9 wins while at Ark.

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

In name yes but I think in 4 years Bielema will prove to be a bust and Gus will be doing well.

Why will he be a bust though? Is the main reason, because he doesn't have any ties to recruiting in the South?

Not saying he'll be a bust but he will be recruiting against LSU and Turds for the same kind of players he needs. Good luck since Arky has so many great high school players

Not to mention many coaches and players in Arkansas know and like CGM. I’m thinking we will pull a lot of their top talent; what there is anyway.

In name yes but I think in 4 years Bielema will prove to be a bust and Gus will be doing well.

Why will he be a bust though? Is the main reason, because he doesn't have any ties to recruiting in the South?

Not saying he'll be a bust but he will be recruiting against LSU and Turds for the same kind of players he needs. Good luck since Arky has so many great high school players

You must have taken your med's last night. I totally agree with you. This makes me very worried, but also makes you right for a change.

You must have taken your med's last night. I totally agree with you. This makes me very worried, but also makes you right for a change.

Get a room.

Get a room.

I have a room. In fact, I have more than one room. If that ever changes, I will come knocking. Thanks!

What Ark. is trying to do reminds what an old man told me once upon a time.

The best that you can ever do trying to emulate what number one is doing is: Number 2.

My favorite aspect of the Gus hiring is that we will be polar opposite of what our in-state rival currently is. Let us have some success and the game is back on.

Arkansas got a bigger name value hire. (That's why Arys hire is still front page news on sports websites), but it might not be a fit for the type of players and situation that Arkansas is in.

At least Auburn knows that Gus can work with our current roster of players and will have a system that they should at least be comfortable with.

Who knows which hire will look better in three years, but I'm more intrigued by what Gus will do than what Brett will do. I suspect Arkansas will become a less talented version of Bama or LSU and Auburn may become a more talented version of Oregon. We'll just have to wait and see.

What Ark. is trying to do reminds what an old man told me once upon a time.

The best that you can ever do trying to emulate what number one is doing is: Number 2.

My favorite aspect of the Gus hiring is that we will be polar opposite of what our in-state rival currently is. Let us have some success and the game is back on.

GREAT post....WAR EAGLE ! ! !

Bret is definitely a bigger name hire, but like it was said earlier, Malzahn will prove to be a better hire. Not so sure BB will be a bust, but he reminds me of Tubberville. Very good coach, but just can't get a championship. I think CGM will bring us a lot more success then JUST 9 win seasons consistently.

Archived