Men vs. Georgia Game Thread

WarTiger

Well at least we didn't score the least amount of points last night. USCe only scored 36 points against UF and almost lost by 40. Man the SEC has some really bad shooting team

MSU had less than 50 and that was in an OT game.

Check the NCAA stats for shooting accuracy. There are virtually no players to be found if the shooter is more than 6 feet from the hoop.

One SEC player in the top 50 for FT and none in the top 50 for 3 PT % shooting. The coaches all know this of course so they just drop the defense back and let the opposition fire it up from outside or try to drive to the basket with arms and bodies all over the place. But no worry, if you foul one of them on the way to the hole 'cause odds are he won't make more than one of the FTs.

IT's not just TB.....it's everywhere. SEC basketball getting to look like football in short pants.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/allaccess/?media=364852

Look at that video... We had some good offensive creation and Denson is really our best threat at driving to the basket and creating offense (along with Sullivan). I think we just have to do things that winning teams do to win:

- Close out well down the stretch

- HIT FOUL SHOTS

- Play lockdown, clean defense (the reason we lost Vs OM)

Those things are hard to add to a team... It has to be a culture.

No consistency.

Seems we play to our opponents level.

We had opportunities to beat Miss and Arky and turn around and lay eggs to UK and UGA.

I follow AU basketball just enough to know how they are doing. I was listening to this game on the radio and it sounded like we were getting pounded (about like SC at FL that night) to start the game. I missed most of the second half but tuned in with 1:30 left to go in the game and we were within 3 or 4 points. Outside of the fact we only shot 29% and hit about 50% on FTs - this sounds like how our team always plays. I feel like every game we have a shot to win with 2 mins on the the clock and then we fold. I hope to see that culture change and AU has to do it through developement and keeping kids around. Teams like KY and FL are landing the freshman that can come in and compete for a NC from day 1 - it is just unfair to our team to beleive we are just going to completely turn it around. If I am not mistaking we lost a lot of experience and bodies from last season. Sounds to me like this pretty well through some dirt back in the hole. Barbee has his work cut out for him and should recieve a little more credit for what he has done with a traditionally bad program. We either have to keep guys around or recruit better - they need some identity and patience with shots. I still do not see a team.

I follow AU basketball just enough to know how they are doing. I was listening to this game on the radio and it sounded like we were getting pounded (about like SC at FL that night) to start the game. I missed most of the second half but tuned in with 1:30 left to go in the game and we were within 3 or 4 points. Outside of the fact we only shot 29% and hit about 50% on FTs - this sounds like how our team always plays. I feel like every game we have a shot to win with 2 mins on the the clock and then we fold. I hope to see that culture change and AU has to do it through developement and keeping kids around. Teams like KY and FL are landing the freshman that can come in and compete for a NC from day 1 - it is just unfair to our team to beleive we are just going to completely turn it around. If I am not mistaking we lost a lot of experience and bodies from last season. Sounds to me like this pretty well through some dirt back in the hole. Barbee has his work cut out for him and should recieve a little more credit for what he has done with a traditionally bad program. We either have to keep guys around or recruit better - they need some identity and patience with shots. I still do not see a team.

The usual starting lineup includes 3 seniors and 1 junior. Against UGA we changed the lineup and went with 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors, 1 Freshman. We probably have one of the more experienced teams in the SEC.

Problem I have at this time is I see little development on the court. I can totally understand why so many people say AU plays street ball. The concept of team play or what some refer to as the teams basketball IQ appears to be lacking and to me that falls on coaching. I just don't see the development that others are seeing. And unless some freshman do show up next year and perform above expectations I think next years team will be worse than what we are seeing now.

I hope CTB gets it together and figures it out though. Because it really is a bad environment for AU to go hunting a new coach if we have to dismiss Barbee because we have a reputation as a coaching graveyard. Kind of unfair since we gave Cliff Ellis 10 years, Lebo 6 years and CTB will probably get 5 or 6. We are going to need a savvy AD with deep pockets to find willing coach who can take 2 and 3 star players and turn them into a NCAA tourney team. And yes there are coaches like that working at smaller schools for well under what we can pay them. Arguably the best coach in the country, Brad Stevens, only made $750K in 2010 before signing a 12 year extension. Wish we had an AD that knew that back in 2010.

The usual starting lineup includes 3 seniors and 1 junior. Against UGA we changed the lineup and went with 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors, 1 Freshman. We probably have one of the more experienced teams in the SEC.

Problem I have at this time is I see little development on the court. I can totally understand why so many people say AU plays street ball. The concept of team play or what some refer to as the teams basketball IQ appears to be lacking and to me that falls on coaching. I just don't see the development that others are seeing. And unless some freshman do show up next year and perform above expectations I think next years team will be worse than what we are seeing now.

I hope CTB gets it together and figures it out though. Because it really is a bad environment for AU to go hunting a new coach if we have to dismiss Barbee because we have a reputation as a coaching graveyard. Kind of unfair since we gave Cliff Ellis 10 years, Lebo 6 years and CTB will probably get 5 or 6. We are going to need a savvy AD with deep pockets to find willing coach who can take 2 and 3 star players and turn them into a NCAA tourney team. And yes there are coaches like that working at smaller schools for well under what we can pay them. Arguably the best coach in the country, Brad Stevens, only made $750K in 2010 before signing a 12 year extension. Wish we had an AD that knew that back in 2010.

I did not even realize that our lineup was up to 4 upperclassmen, but it would go towards showing that we have not "built a team" or made an identity. I would personally look for next years team to be better as to give an indication of how CTB is doing. If our young guys are as talented as we think they are and CTB can coach like we think he can - then the sophmores, freshman, and incoming freshman should start playing like a real team (referring to your "street ball" quote). I want to see more passing in our game rather than running down the court and throwing up bricks. I am afraid it is late for our older guys now but the young guys can still forge their own path. 2 more years should be more than enough to make this team competitive from an AU standpoint if he is the guy to break the cycle.

I am afraid that in order for us to land a guy like Stevens that we need a guy like CTB to at least bring life and some excitement to the program. No matter who the AD we are a basketball graveyard and coaches know it. Depending how deep the pockets are we could try the uat football approach and throw everything we have at the best and pray. $4.1M could probably buy us a good coach no matter how bad.

I did not even realize that our lineup was up to 4 upperclassmen, but it would go towards showing that we have not "built a team" or made an identity. I would personally look for next years team to be better as to give an indication of how CTB is doing. If our young guys are as talented as we think they are and CTB can coach like we think he can - then the sophmores, freshman, and incoming freshman should start playing like a real team (referring to your "street ball" quote). I want to see more passing in our game rather than running down the court and throwing up bricks. I am afraid it is late for our older guys now but the young guys can still forge their own path. 2 more years should be more than enough to make this team competitive from an AU standpoint if he is the guy to break the cycle.

I am afraid that in order for us to land a guy like Stevens that we need a guy like CTB to at least bring life and some excitement to the program. No matter who the AD we are a basketball graveyard and coaches know it. Depending how deep the pockets are we could try the uat football approach and throw everything we have at the best and pray. $4.1M could probably buy us a good coach no matter how bad.

You sound like you know basketball and more importantly Auburn basketball. I really dont know a ton about basketball, But I can see progression and regression. And I really dont think this team is progressing. CB is suppose to be a great Recruiter. I am still waiting on the big one we bring in and the 3 stars are not getting it. Again, I dont see any bright shining future coming. By now we would have seen it on the court or in the recruiting ranks. He is not the coach we thought we were going to get.

You sound like you know basketball and more importantly Auburn basketball. I really dont know a ton about basketball, But I can see progression and regression. And I really dont think this team is progressing. CB is suppose to be a great Recruiter. I am still waiting on the big one we bring in and the 3 stars are not getting it. Again, I dont see any bright shining future coming. By now we would have seen it on the court or in the recruiting ranks. He is not the coach we thought we were going to get.

Snake oil? You like snake oil? cause that's what he sells.

Archived