Men vs. Missouri Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm out. Kudos to you guys who stick it out. Way too much bad basketball for my taste. Whatever they were doing earlier in the year to get better, they have completely abandoned. There are clearly chemistry issues with this team along with a decided lack of fundamentals. It's quite possible I go from, "let Barbee coach out his contract," to, "bye, bye Barbee."

Auburn will not be good at basketball as long as Jay Jacobs is around........

That's the stupidest logic I've ever heard. Jacobs has nothing to do with the team shooting 36% from the floor.

That's the stupidest logic I've ever heard. Jacobs has nothing to do with the team shooting 36% from the floor.

I wouldn't even characterize that as "logic."

I wouldn't even characterize that as "logic."

Good point. It's just stupid. :lol:

Yep, he just can't hit the 3 point shot.

I am not much a judge on talent(a baseball player i am)..but i think we have much better talent than what we are playing. I am ready to see a change. Am i wrong? Is there no talent there? I know this was a very good Missou team, with an awesome Guard ...but is it talent or coaching???

IMO...talent +experience= Missouri win. Ross at AU would have made a difference for example..but think we are slowly getting there

I am not much a judge on talent(a baseball player i am)..but i think we have much better talent than what we are playing. I am ready to see a change. Am i wrong? Is there no talent there? I know this was a very good Missou team, with an awesome Guard ...but is it talent or coaching???

It's both. You don't just take HS talent and stick it on a college court and expect it to perform. The games are very different. College is bigger, stronger, and faster. You might be a stellar 6'4" HS guard who can cut and slash your way to the basket in HS, but once you get to college, you don't have that fall back when the offense breaks down. The ultimate trait in college basketball isn't talent, it's discipline. Most really good college teams are very. very disciplined. Coach K, Calipari, Self, Pitino, et al, don't just bring in these stellar FR and let them go, they pound into their heads how to play the way the coach wants them to. Look at Nerlins Noel. They guy had his way in HS. Points, rebound, blocked shots, etc, he did it all. If you watched UK early, you would have thought he was a bust. But Calipari kept demanding he play the way he wanted him to play and now Noel is a defensive force. He's got a ways to go offensively, but I have NO DOUBT he'll get there.

I don't know how Barbee runs his practices, but it looks to me that the players don't trust him yet. I'm certain he knows what to do, I am also certain he has failed to convince his players to do things his way. I don't mean the players are running the show, but they are still very undisciplined. And it's not just about being "mean". I played for a coach that was hard nosed, even vicious at times, and he ran us to death. We ran an uptempo style that was a simplified version of UNLV's running offense and we won a lot of games. Fast forward 2 years and I played for a different hard nosed coach and we were awful. Why? Because we bought into the first coach's system and we did things we might not have wanted to because we trusted him. We failed under the second coach, partly because we lacked talent, but mostly because we didn't trust him.

When the news about the "team meeting" came out and how everyone aired their grievances, I thought that was a bit strange. Yes, I know those things happen, but from some of the things we were hearing, you could tell that there weren't just disagreements within the players, but with the coaches as well.

Go ahead and put things together like Jacobs and individual game performance. Assuming THAT is one of the stupidest thing I've read in a while and I read a lot of your post. Because you know that's exactly what I meant. This team is just another fine Auburn Athletics product that falls on Jay Jacobs resume. Auburn Athletics is an overall embarrassment and Jay only cares about football because that's all his bosses care about. They will let this continue as long as he is there.

Losing on the road to a top 20 team is nothing to get upset about. But things just continue to sputter and Jay keeps looking like a tool. Answer me one question, do you think Jay Jacobs has earned his pay while he's been the AD?

do you think Jay Jacobs has earned his pay while he's been the AD?

First: I don't know what he gets paid.

Second: J Gouge is the one who makes that judgment but I expect that near the top JJ's responsibilities is to keep the Athletic Department in the black.

That said, I guess the answer is Yes.

This is not a anti Jacobs post but AU fans keep Auburn in the black. I don't think JJ should credit for the AU fans being loyal even during the times when all 3 big sports teams are performing poorly.

do you think Jay Jacobs has earned his pay while he's been the AD?

First: I don't know what he gets paid.

Second: J Gouge is the one who makes that judgment but I expect that near the top JJ's responsibilities is to keep the Athletic Department in the black.

That said, I guess the answer is Yes.

"Despite Auburn’s on-the-field struggles during Jacobs’ tenure, Jacobs has negotiated a very comfortable salary for himself. According to Auburn University’s “Open Financial Reports”, Jacobs earns a monthly salary of $52,479.33. His second-in-command, Tim Jackson, earns a monthly salary of $24,069.99. Jacobs’ and Jackson’s earn a combined annual salary of $918,591.84, not counting any bonuses they may receive. That is a lot of money to pay the administration of an athletic department that wins 42% of its conference games. In fact, it is indefensible."

Second, a monkey could make money with the SEC TV contracts.

This is not a anti Jacobs post but AU fans keep Auburn in the black. I don't think JJ should credit for the AU fans being loyal even during the times when all 3 big sports teams are performing poorly.

AUBorne makes a great point which is posted in the article below mentioning the increase in ticket prices with the increase in donation requirements since he has been at Auburn.

http://www.change.or...hletic-director

Barbee is a good coach? I have absolutely nothing on which I could base a statement like that. We are half-way through the third season with this "great recruiter" and chumm is still our starting post player, we don't have a power forward and we don't have a point guard. On top of that, there has been a steady stream of players out of the program. I'm sorry, I'm not drinking the koolaid. I have absolutely no evidence for making the assertion that he is a good coach. The proof is in the pudding.

Sadly, today's performance has become the norm. There seems to be talent on this team but they just play awful. I don't have the answer but if I did I'd gladly bottle it up and head straight to Barbees office. :)

Archived