Men vs. Missouri Game Thread

WarTiger

Barbee is a good coach? I have absolutely nothing on which I could base a statement like that. We are half-way through the third season with this "great recruiter" and chumm is still our starting post player, we don't have a power forward and we don't have a point guard. On top of that, there has been a steady stream of players out of the program. I'm sorry, I'm not drinking the koolaid. I have absolutely no evidence for making the assertion that he is a good coach. The proof is in the pudding.

Some of you seem clueless about how bad things were when Barbee took over. The first season shouldn't even count because he had nothing much to work with. It will be a slow process rebuilding a basketball program that was one of the the worst in the NCAA when he came in. Auburn allowed that to happen....NOT COACH BARBEE. Auburn did not invest in the basketball program, and they were at least 10 - 15 years behind in building Auburn Arena. There was NOTHING to attract top talent, and it will take some convincing for several more years to get that steady stream of talent coming in to play for Auburn. Coach Barbee quite literally has had to start from the ground up, and if you think it can be done with a couple of players in 2 recruiting years....you are sadly mistaken. Auburn had basketball momentum for a while, but that's been gone for years. Coach Barbee is not responsible for the way things are now, but I do think he can get Auburn back if given the time and resources he needs. He's right about changing the culture at Auburn, and impatient fans are a part of the problem. He really needs fan support to bring Auburn back.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barbee is a good coach? I have absolutely nothing on which I could base a statement like that. We are half-way through the third season with this "great recruiter" and chumm is still our starting post player, we don't have a power forward and we don't have a point guard. On top of that, there has been a steady stream of players out of the program. I'm sorry, I'm not drinking the koolaid. I have absolutely no evidence for making the assertion that he is a good coach. The proof is in the pudding.

Some of you seem clueless about how bad things were when Barbee took over. The first season shouldn't even count because he had nothing much to work with. It will be a slow process rebuilding a basketball program that was one of the the worst in the NCAA when he came in. Auburn allowed that to happen....NOT COACH BARBEE. Auburn did not invest in the basketball program, and they were at least 10 - 15 years behind in building Auburn Arena. There was NOTHING to attract top talent, and it will take some convincing for several more years to get that steady stream of talent coming in to play for Auburn. Coach Barbee quite literally has had to start from the ground up, and if you think it can be done with a couple of players in 2 recruiting years....you are sadly mistaken. Auburn had basketball momentum for a while, but that's been gone for years. Coach Barbee is not responsible for the way things are now, but I do think he can get Auburn back if given the time and resources he needs. He's right about changing the culture at Auburn, and impatient fans are a part of the problem. He really needs fan support to bring Auburn back.

I guess the problem is that most people don't see any improvements under CTB when they watch AU play. For example Jeff Lebo got fired because he went 6-10 in the SEC his last season (2009-10). In 2008-09 Lebo won 24 games. Since then CTB has gone 4-12, 5-11, and this year he is 2-6 (in the SEC). And btw the SEC is horrible this year as they were last year. He also fared poorly against a weak preseason schedule so there is some concern about his game day coaching ability since he lost several games to less athletic teams (Winthrop, Rhode Island, Depaul). His forte is supposed to be recruiting but most starters are still Lebo recruits. His 4th season does not look promising either because center and power forward is a major concern. There is some good talent at both guard spots but so far they have not developed into the ball handlers or shooters they will need to be for AU to compete for a NCAA tourney bid next season.

I do think the talent level is going up. But I also think we had more talent then many of the teams we lost to this season. I agree CTB will get at least one more season , maybe two, to turn it around. Unless he doesn't win another game this year, and then he probably won't survive. But since our last 3 coaches averaged 7 years each at Auburn nobody can blame Admin or the fans for not giving Auburn basketball coaches enough time to prove their worth.

I think there is little talent right now beyond Frankie Sullivan. Chubb would not start if Barbee had better options. If you take off the O&B glasses for a moment....and look at the talent that Kentucky has vs what AU has, or even look at FL and then look at AU...then you'd actually see the position that Coach Barbee is in. It is completely unrealistic to expect him to turn things around as fast as some of you think he should. That kind of elite player is not going to give Coach Barbee the time of day because Auburn let the program fall so far down into the cellar. He will have to slowly improve his starters, and build some depth, and it will take more than 2 recruiting classes. Auburn is a very tough sell for basketball right now, and he has lots of competition. The improvements are there,although they are small, but he's done about all he can with what he has right now.

I'd be surprised if Coach Barbee even wants to stick around long enough to make things better, if that's the attitude he faces. I know he's frustrated. He has been successful elsewhere, but this is a definite challenge for any coach. AU ignored the basketball program until it became an embarrassment, and now people want what Kentucky has by tomorrow.

I think every AU fan would be thrilled to have what Ole Miss or Vandy has. Of course I would rather have a program like Bulter that can take 2 and 3 star players and a coach that can use those kids to scheme and compete against anyone. Florida and Kentucky are top 10 basketball programs. The only schools AU will play this year that have that kind of talent are UF and UK. If Barbee needs their kind of talent to just be competitive in the SEC and get to the post season then he is not the right man for the job at AU. I agree about Chubb needing to play because there is no other options. That is on Coach Barbee though to recruit someone as good or better than the center he inherited. It will be interesting to see what he does about Center and power forward next season because he obviously needs to address the rebounding and defensive issue we have there. Our rebounding and defense is not just bad. It is horrible. Our offensive system has looked equally as bad during his entire time at AU.

As far as his proven success? He has only been head coach at one other school (UTEP). His clubs have played in one NCAA tourney game in which they were 2 point underdogs (5vs12). In that game his team lost in the first round to Butler. They were outscored in the 2nd half 50 to 26.

CTB is not going to walk away from $1.5M + a year. He is one of the highest paid basketball coaches in the country. He is getting top 20 pay. Will he ever earn that pay at AU? Maybe, but he has a lot of work to do first.

I think he got such a big paycheck because Auburn was not an attractive job, and he was facing a dire situation if he accepted the offer. The pot had to be sweetened to get him there. He's taking a professional gamble.

Of course I would rather have a program like Bulter that can take 2 and 3 star players and a coach that can use those kids to scheme and compete against anyone

Can't disagree but Butler has had good teams for quite some time, it didn't just happen over the course of a couple years. They and many others with stable coaching situations bring in a few good players every year to fill in behind the seniors and graduates.

In general, the best basketball schools in the SEC have coaches that have been at their schools for quite a while. I'm not sure whether it's the chicken or the egg that comes first but it's pretty easy to see that playing rotating coaching staff does not result in much success in the SEC. TB looked like an up-and-comer when AU hired him but I'm not sure folks are going to let him stay around long enough to find out.

As for salaries, TB looks to be #5 or 6 in the SEC and makes about the same thing as UGA, MSU, LSU, OM so it appears we are paying the going rate for an SEC basketball coach. But I agree he needs to demostrate that he is worth it.

My question is how much longer are we willing to give him? I was thrilled with the Barbee hire, but he has seriously disappointed me. He's in his third year, and we're STILL at the bottom of the SEC.

He'll lose Sullivan, Chubb, N. Johnson, and Wallace at the end of the year which will set us back even more going into next year. So I think we're looking at another 2 or 3 years until we're competitive... Is everyone willing to wait that long?

My question is how much longer are we willing to give him? I was thrilled with the Barbee hire, but he has seriously disappointed me. He's in his third year, and we're STILL at the bottom of the SEC.

He'll lose Sullivan, Chubb, N. Johnson, and Wallace at the end of the year which will set us back even more going into next year. So I think we're looking at another 2 or 3 years until we're competitive... Is everyone willing to wait that long?

Would be good to see him coaching his own recruits with a little experience.... and JMO but I think we will be able to overcome the losses. Sullivan is the only player we are losing who will leave a hole...and I think having the others back with a year of SEC competition...plus some quality freshmen will give us a stronger team. While I don't believe in moral victories, it's pretty easy for me to see that we are a much more competitive team this year but some of these young players have got to learn how to win the close games. As far as I'm concerned he ought to get 4 years to prove his coaching ability and then we will be in a better position to judge the future.

I think he should get one more year. Next year he'll have to use his players. We'll find out how good of a coach he is when he has to use the players he recruited.

The SEC is not that great. There's no reason we can't turn this around in one or two more years. We're never going to be as good as Kentucky and Florida. But we can beat UGA, Arkansas, LSU, Miss State, and Vandy.

I don't know why Auburn has been the least successful program in the SEC the last 10 years. Every other team in the SEC has either been to the NIT or NCAA Tournament more than we have the last 10 years.

I'm hoping Barbee can get us to the NIT next year or, depending on how competive we are next year, his 5th year.

I'd be good with 2 more years. No more excuses after that.

Ya got my vote....want to send a note along to JJ and give him the word? ;D

Ya got my vote....want to send a note along to JJ and give him the word? ;D/>

HaHa, yes, and I'm sure JJ just loves to hear input from us commoners. :)

Well he might like to get one that's not calling for his head...ya think?

Depends on what the record is at the end of this season. If we finish dead last in the SEC this year then that is a pretty strong indicator of what we got at HC. But if he can avoid playing on opening day of the SEC tourney this year then he deserves a chance to get AU into the post season next year.

Okay, secret's out, I'm Jay Jacobs and yes, I appreciate your input. Didn't know I'm Canadian, did you?

Archived