Men vs Vandy

SLAG-91

Doesn't look too promising at the under 4:00 timeout.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel a little sick.................. I need beer

Is beer strong enough? There's not that many bricks on the front of my house..

Feel bad for our kids but it is what it is..................a new BB arena and we have won 3 SEC games. I got to go to bed. What is our best sports team even our equestrian team got beat. I would still vote swimming but not by much

I just would like to know who hired the moronic baffoon otherwise named Jay Jacobs, as our AD. You almost have to try, to be this horrible in so many sports.

In SEC play this year, the football and both basketball teams are a combined 7-32. UGA, Florida and Alabama won that many conference games just in football.

We need a lot of things, but anybody that can shoot consistently has got to be at the top of the list. All of the athleticism in the world means zip if you can't score.

Any Barbee lovers on the board tonight? It's awfully quiet from them...

If by "Barbee lover" you mean somebody that thought he was a good hire at the time and thinks he'll be here a minimum of one more year, I'm here. We can go hire somebody else tomorrow, but should we do that, it won't be anybody that was more highly regarded than was Barbee when we hired him.

I'm not happy with what Barbee has (failed) to accomplish but thinking we will dump him after this season and find some hot-shot that's willing to come here is pie in the sky. Unless he walks off the job he'll get another year.

I just would like to know who hired the moronic baffoon otherwise named Jay Jacobs, as our AD. You almost have to try, to be this horrible in so many sports.

What happened to JJ...did he fall of his horse during the equestrian event? The guy can't shoot a basketball ( 1 our 17 in a stretch) and sure can't hit a curve ball....even an SEC curve. It's obvious that he isn't the guy for AD.

I still want to know what these other teams were that AU beat out for Barbee. I think his "well regarded" status is very much like the "well regarded" status of Loefller based on him being the personal trainer for Tom Brady. An AU feel good myth.

Good AD's don't just throw money at the flavor of the moment. They find coaches that fit into their school and can win under the challenges faced there. For example Baylor made post season play in every NCAA sanctioned sport they competed in last year. Their AD has enjoyed watching his teams win 35 conference titles since he took over in 2003.

Well yes, there's Baylor. With no apparent reason why Baylor should be any better than Auburn, Baylor fielded 19 athletic teams last season and all 19 made post-season play. It appears that an AD that knows how to hire coaches that fit his situation does exist. JJ just isn't one of them.

Something somewhere has to change. I don't know what the issue is exactly but somewhere, somehow we are not getting D1 level leadership. Our SEC athletic programs which should be average without much effort, are turning into community college level programs.

What happened to JJ...did he fall of his horse during the equestrian event? The guy can't shoot a basketball ( 1 our 17 in a stretch) and sure can't hit a curve ball....even an SEC curve. It's obvious that he isn't the guy for AD.

Apparently he can't hire a successful coach either.....

I still want to know what these other teams were that AU beat out for Barbee. I think his "well regarded" status is very much like the "well regarded" status of Loefller based on him being the personal trainer for Tom Brady. An AU feel good myth.

Good AD's don't just throw money at the flavor of the moment. They find coaches that fit into their school and can win under the challenges faced there. For example Baylor made post season play in every NCAA sanctioned sport they competed in last year. Their AD has enjoyed watching his teams win 35 conference titles since he took over in 2003.

Barbee was regarded as a good up and coming coach when we hired him. A lot of people thought we wouldn't even get him. UTEP improved every year he was there and eventually made ie to the tournament his last year..

Barbee was regarded as a good up and coming coach when we hired him. A lot of people thought we wouldn't even get him. UTEP improved every year he was there and eventually made ie to the tournament his last year..

They didn't improve every year. UTEP won 22 games in 2003-05 under Bill Gilliespie, and then 27 games in 2004-05, and 21 games in 2005-06 under Doc Sadler who left for the job at Nebraska. Barbee only won 14 games in his first season 2006-07. That is not improvement. Also UTEP made the post season three years in a row before Barbee took over. It took him 4 years to get UTEP back to the tourney.

Not sure who "they" is that thought so highly of him. I watched his team get embarrassed in the NCAA tourney against Butler. I was not impressed.

Any Barbee lovers on the board tonight? It's awfully quiet from them...

If by "Barbee lover" you mean somebody that thought he was a good hire at the time and thinks he'll be here a minimum of one more year, I'm here. We can go hire somebody else tomorrow, but should we do that, it won't be anybody that was more highly regarded than was Barbee when we hired him.

I'm not happy with what Barbee has (failed) to accomplish but thinking we will dump him after this season and find some hot-shot that's willing to come here is pie in the sky. Unless he walks off the job he'll get another year.

+1. Not that it is a statement in support of Barbee, I just don't see anyone that would be willing to take the job after Lebo and Barbee are fired. I don't see an up and coming hot-shot taking the job because they have a better chance of taking a small team to the Dance than resurrecting AU basketball. I dont see us pulling a good coach from another large conference (Martin to USCe). I think our only option would be to pull a SDSU (Steve Fisher) and get an older coach with success that is looking to make his own resurrection. But again, how many times do you find that happen? I just think at this point, we would get another coach just like CTB after this season-new on the scene, unsure up-and-comer-and pay him a ridiculous salary to do the same job CTB is doing.

They didn't improve every year. UTEP won 22 games in 2003-05 under Bill Gilliespie, and then 27 games in 2004-05, and 21 games in 2005-06 under Doc Sadler who left for the job at Nebraska. Barbee only won 14 games in his first season 2006-07. That is not improvement. Also UTEP made the post season three years in a row before Barbee took over. It took him 4 years to get UTEP back to the tourney.

Not sure who "they" is that thought so highly of him. I watched his team get embarrassed in the NCAA tourney against Butler. I was not impressed.

Same kind of ranked Butler team that got their a** handed to them by VCU over the weekend?

Same kind of ranked Butler team that got their a** handed to them by VCU over the weekend?

Nah that Butler team graduated and moved on already. But if you are trying to imply that the coach at VCU is much better than Barbee I agree.

Nah that Butler team graduated and moved on already. But if you are trying to imply that the coach at VCU is much better than Barbee I agree.

Smart would never leave VCU for Auburn... No matter how much money is thrown in his face. Good. proven basketball coaches don't come to Auburn, and never will. AU is just not a basketball school.

Smart would never leave VCU for Auburn... No matter how much money is thrown in his face. Good. proven basketball coaches don't come to Auburn, and never will. AU is just not a basketball school.

Nobody said Smart would come to AU. But with right offer AU could get a coach that has proven success. For example Randy Bennett could make more money at AU in 4 years than he could make at St Mary's in 20 years. I think AU has proven a level of commitment to success that did not exist in the past.

Nobody said Smart would come to AU. But with right offer AU could get a coach that has proven success. For example Randy Bennett could make more money at AU in 4 years than he could make at St Mary's in 20 years. I think AU has proven a level of commitment to success that did not exist in the past.

Randy Bennett would not come to Auburn... If he cared about his career, he wouldn't.

If he is as good as some think he is... Would he risk a few years of making some money, over his reputation of being a good basketball coach, tarnished?

If AU could get Larry Brown to leave is stress-free (no expectations) gig at SMU after the 2015 season... then (and only then) Auburn will get themselves a proven / successful head coach. IMO, he is the only "proven" coach that would give Auburn the time of day! Auburn is a loveley place to live after retirement.

Randy Bennett would not come to Auburn... If he cared about his career, he wouldn't.

If he is as good as some think he is... Would he risk a few years of making some money, over his reputation of being a good basketball coach, tarnished?

If AU could get Larry Brown to leave is stress-free (no expectations) gig at SMU after the 2015 season... then (and only then) Auburn will get themselves a proven / successful head coach. IMO, he is the only "proven" coach that would give Auburn the time of day! Auburn is a loveley place to live after retirement.

I'm sorry but I fail to see any logic in your post. Even when I take into account your recent post, where you stated that Auburn can only be competitive in basketball by cheating, I still don't follow your logic. Coaching is a job. I think you underestimate the resources that AU is NOW placing into the basketball program. And If RB failed at AU he could easily get another job that pays just as much as St Mary's. The Gaels play in a high school gym and they are not even a Nike team. He is not dependent on AAU contacts to recruit for him. His resources and exposure would be much greater at AU. I am not saying he is the only coach out there and he could be off the market by the time AU gets around to firing Barbee. I just used Bennett as an example. Several coaches at smaller schools have improved their programs and won in the NCAA tourney. I have faith that AU is a good enough place that if the AD and boosters keep pushing and putting money into the program then they will eventually find the right coach that fits our needs.

Archived