Disappointed with less than 9 wins

Builder

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read lately the "experts" do not expect us to win more than 7 games, some say 5 games.

I'll be disappointed with less than 9. I have high hopes

Not saying it can't happen, but I think 9 is a little high to put your "disappointed" level on with our schedule. I would be fine with at least 7 wins and a bowl game to follow. I'm hoping to see us build for a run at the SEC in the 2nd year of the GM era.

Yes 8 or 9 wins would be great, but I also think we have to be measured by how competitive we are in all games, win or lose. Our losses were just awful last year. I am not after moral victories but real improvement that can be seen on the field.

Well said.

Beat me to it.

I want to see competitiveness. With an attitude. The wins will follow.

7 wins should be our goal. Anything over we should all be thankful after last season

12 wins should always be the goal...for the regular season. Anything less is just giving up before you start.

You guys are right. They should just suspend the football program for this season and not even try to field a team. It's just hopeless. We might win one, maybe two games if we are lucky. Good grief. I am so depressed after reading this thread I might jump off of a building.

I heard a lot of the same "dire" predictions going into 2009. Does anyone here think that the 2008 team was a world beater...but look what happened in 2009 with a new sheriff in town...Sheriff Gus! Its a new day boys...a new day!

9 wins would be great and I'm sure the staff wants to win 14. Realistically 7-8 wins and playing competitively in all games is an attainable goal. Not making a bowl game and not playing hard would be disappointing.

BBVA Compass

Birmingham, AL Legion Field

SEC No. 8 or 9 vs. Big East No. 5

Ridiculously Early Call: Auburn vs. UCF

Top Three Other Options: 1) Connecticut, 2) Mississippi State, 3) South Florida

WHY? The Auburn-Arkansas winner will probably be bowl eligible, while the loser won't. The winner of the Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Mississippi State could end up here, but getting Auburn would be the bowl's realistic dream get. The Big East will probably struggle to get enough bowl eligible teams, but South Florida or UCF will probably be here.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1274439.html

If we get 9 wins this season after that nightmare last year, I will be on cloud nine. I know we will score points but I am most eager to see an improvement to the worst 4 seasons ever in points allowed that also happen to be the only seasons in Auburn football history where we gave up over 300 points.

Auburn- most points allowed in a season

1. 2011- 376 pts.- Gene Chizik

2. 2009- 358 pts.- Gene Chizik

3. 2012- 340 pts.- Gene Chizik

4. 2010- 337 pts.- Gene Chizik *

5. 1995- 283 pts.- Terry Bowden

6. 2001- 281 pts.- Tommy Tubberville

7. 1996- 277 pts.- Terry Bowden

8. 1976- 267 pts.- Doug Barfield

9. 2000- 266 pts.- Tommy Tubberville

10.1948- 262 pts.- Earl Brown

* The only thing to save us in 2010 was setting a new offensive scoring record at Auburn. The 2010 team scored 577 points, adding 139 points to the old record of 438 points, set by the 1995 team.

If we go 7-5 during the seaon and win a bowl game, we'd end up at 8-5. They would be a good record for Gus in his first on the Plains. However, in 2014 and beyond, the records must get better. So in 2014, anything less then 9 or 10 wins would be a huge disappoint.

7 Perfect Seasons

12 Undefeated Seasons

11 Conference Championships

9 Seasons Named #1, 3 Recognized

1983,1993, 2004, 2010

You guys are right. They should just suspend the football program for this season and not even try to field a team. It's just hopeless. We might win one, maybe two games if we are lucky. Good grief. I am so depressed after reading this thread I might jump off of a building.

I remember hearing that a LOT last summer when analysts picked us to win 6-7 games. This team will be much better, though. I'm WAY more excited about this season than I was the last two.

LSU at LSU - Nope

A&M at College Station - Nope

Georgia at Auburn - Nope

Alabama at Auburn - Nope

That leaves 8.

Ole Miss - 50/50

Miss State - 50/50

Arkansas - 50/50

Tennessee - 50/50

That leaves 4 "should wins" however after last year, and until these kids show they want to be a team, there are no sure wins. La Monroe would have beat us last year had they gone for 2. We look way, way behind other teams physically and I do not know that that can be closed in a year. I have great anticipation of the long term (3-year) outlook for the staff Gus has put together but right now I'm happy with bowl eligibility.

Sorry to disappoint u but those losses hasnt happened yet and i dont count my eggs before they hatch so im going to end this by saying: I BEIEVE n AU and I LOVE IT!!!!!

How does the 2012 team compare to the 1992 team. Could we see a major resurgence just with a change of culture like we did in 93? War eagle

^1992>2012.

1992: 5-5-1 (2-5-1 SEC)

2012: 3-9 (0-8 SEC)

1992 average loss margin: 13.4 points

2012 average loss margin: 22 points

Now I will say that the 2013 team is probably more talented than 1993. But as others have said, it takes time to fight out that losing mentality--which our players definitely have right now.

If we get 9 wins this season after that nightmare last year, I will be on cloud nine. I know we will score points but I am eager to see an improvement to the worst 4 seasons ever in points allowed as well as the only seasons in Auburn football history to give up over 300 points.

Auburn- most points allowed in a season

1. 2011- 376 pts.- Gene Chizik

2. 2009- 358 pts.- Gene Chizik

3. 2012- 340 pts.- Gene Chizik

4. 2010- 337 pts.- Gene Chizik *

5. 1995- 283 pts.- Terry Bowden

6. 2001- 281 pts.- Tommy Tubberville

7. 1996- 277 pts.- Terry Bowden

8. 1976- 267 pts.- Doug Barfield

9. 2000- 266 pts.- Tommy Tubberville

10.1948- 262 pts.- Earl Brown

* The only thing to save us in 2010 was setting a new offensive scoring record at Auburn. The 2010 team scored 577 points, adding 139 points to the old record of 438 points set by the 1995 team.

Wow. Interesting stats.

Wins will be determined by the play of our defense. We will score against everyone. Special teams should not fall much if any. The question is how long before we field a defense like we had under Dye.

How does the 2012 team compare to the 1992 team. Could we see a major resurgence just with a change of culture like we did in 93? War eagle

Highly unlikely...biggest difference being in '93 Auburn was playing with a 5th year Sr @ QB who went on to set career passing yardage numbers. No way any team goes undefeated without excellent QB play.Im not saying we wont get better play but I just dont see Auburn repeating what they did in '93 with this team.A change of culture is an imprtant first step but Auburn has to find some players who are game changers on both sides of the ball. Right now, Im not sure they have any. It is also not unreasonable to add to that at least a little concern over whether or not we'll get a 3rd down stop all season. Auburn's defense has been virtually absent since Tubs left.

What koolaid are you guys drinking?(Send me some)...We have questions everywhere, and you are glossing over them like they are not there. I am Gungho Auburn just as much as anyone, but please let us be realistic. I believe in GUS and this staff, but it takes time to rebuild. We lost heart last season and that is not something you dismiss the next. I think we can win them all,but i don't believe that....We are looking at a lot of unknowns and you who are thinking we win the games we "used" to win let me remind you. Times have changed, and we have gotten on the wrong foot in the last two years during that change. We will have to redefine 'WHO WE ARE' then we hopefully will have many more great season with the GUS BUS through the years...............War Eagle.

What koolaid are you guys drinking?(Send me some)...We have questions everywhere, and you are glossing over them like they are not there. I am Gungho Auburn just as much as anyone, but please let us be realistic. I believe in GUS and this staff, but it takes time to rebuild. We lost heart last season and that is not something you dismiss the next. I think we can win them all,but i don't believe that....We are looking at a lot of unknowns and you who are thinking we win the games we "used" to win let me remind you. Times have changed, and we have gotten on the wrong foot in the last two years during that change. We will have to redefine 'WHO WE ARE' then we hopefully will have many more great season with the GUS BUS through the years...............War Eagle.

Thank you.

It's been so long since Auburn football had an "identity". Offense sucked under Tubs - the defense was solid. Defense sucked under Chizik - the offense was good to mediocre to awful under Chizik. We've had a mixed bag of inconsistancy for way too long, which has lead to instability everywhere.

I wont be disappointed with any win loss total provided I see a different competitive mentality. Obviously, winning is important but its more important IMO to see a team thats not a gimme. As much as it pains me, outside of the LSU game, Auburn was pretty much a gimme for most of the seasonin '12. In over 40 years of following them closely, Ive never witnessed an Auburn team that looked so beaten down into obscurity as last year's team was.

Nobody is glossing over anything, it's called optimism in the face of the unknown. Heck I thought we would be world beaters last year. Boy was I surprised at what happened. Then I wasn't surprised when I heard of all of the turmoil that the team was in because of bad leadership and zero discipline. Chizik had no solid, unchanging philosophy, Gus does. That will be the difference.

Chizik had no solid, unchanging philosophy, Gus does. That will be the difference..............I hope so WEEGLE

Gene Chizik and his staff kept riding on what they did in 2010 and didn't care to build and keep building from that. On the flip side, Saban and his staff has done a great job to continue to build off of every championship they have so they can compete and win more championships.

Nobody is glossing over anything, it's called optimism in the face of the unknown. Heck I thought we would be world beaters last year. Boy was I surprised at what happened. Then I wasn't surprised when I heard of all of the turmoil that the team was in because of bad leadership and zero discipline. Chizik had no solid, unchanging philosophy, Gus does. That will be the difference.

Some of us (myself included) thought Chizik had a solid, unchanging philosophy - he stuck to his guns on his defensive scheme and refused to change that philosophy. I honestly thought that CGC was borderline OCD at times- he was very straight forward, very regimented almost military like in his approach to things. The way he handled to media and the public during the '10 season was staunch and to the point. He took the media scruntiny and he focused his attention on the task at hand - he never waivered one moment for keeping his players focused and ready to play ball.

Placing expectations on specific win totals and/or specific games for 2013 will only set you up for disappointment. You can't measure the area needing the most improvement from last year and that is heart and enthusiasm. I expect if we see a visible increase however the rest will fall into place over the course of next year into the 2014 season.

Archived