Disappointed with less than 9 wins

Builder

I've read lately the "experts" do not expect us to win more than 7 games, some say 5 games.

I'll be disappointed with less than 9. I have high hopes

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An expert is someone that is more than 100 miles from home. If they were so smart, they would be "doing" instead of "talking".

You'd better hope this staff is full of miracle workers. The group we fielded last year looked like a middle of the road SWAC team. If they win 9 or more the coaches salaries should be doubled.

9 wins would be great. With how poor these players have been coached the past 2-3 years, I think being competitive with the upper echelon SEC teams would make me happy.

There is an abundance of talent on our team right now. The problem is that they're boys instead of men and individuals rather than a team.

This is absolutely right.

I do think the coaching staff is perfect for bringing out the best. Each of them are know to be teachers of technique and toughness. We will see the effects of that teaching on the field this year. The team has a long way to go to catch up with the leaders of the SEC, granted. But, no way we lose 7 games again this year.

Im going to guess 7-8 wins. Going from 3 wins to 8 wins is a good turn around for a first year head coach. If anything you will definetly see a better season than we had last year. Our O should at least put more points on the board but the defense is what worries me.

I'll have to see some heart out of this team before I predict any wins next year. We certainly had some weak spots on the team last year but there was no reason we should have only won three games. That was entirely due to the team packing it in after the Arkansas game. They are going to have to prove to me they will not pack it in again next year when things get rough before I can put much faith in them. Its tough for coaches to change a teams attitude in one year but I hope Gus can do it.

Yes 8 or 9 wins would be great, but I also think we have to be measured by how competitive we are in all games, win or lose. Our losses were just awful last year. I am not after moral victories but real improvement that can be seen on the field.

Based on how far the program has fallen the past two seasons, I will be fine with 7 wins and being competitive in every game. I think 9 wins is asking/expecting too much.

wde

I'll have to see some heart out of this team before I predict any wins next year. We certainly had some weak spots on the team last year but there was no reason we should have only won three games. That was entirely due to the team packing it in after the Arkansas game. They are going to have to prove to me they will not pack it in again next year when things get rough before I can put much faith in them. Its tough for coaches to change a teams attitude in one year but I hope Gus can do it.

Just goes to prove that "mental toughness" is just as important as "physical toughness" in any sport. Changing the mentality in that locker room will be much more difficult than changing their physical fitness, strength, stamina, and "football" knowledge. A coach can demand that they condition themselves, pump iron, and run til they puke. But, if they continue to have a give-up/quit attitude, it's all for nothing.

I wonder if the new staff has considered employing some self-help/motivational speaking firm to come in and work with our players? (It couldn't hurt)

Bowl elligible - I'm hoping they make it to a bowl game. I think that in itself would be a move in the right direction, and would serve to build for the future.

Just goes to prove that "mental toughness" is just as important as "physical toughness" in any sport. Changing the mentality in that locker room will be much more difficult than changing their physical fitness, strength, stamina, and "football" knowledge. A coach can demand that they condition themselves, pump iron, and run til they puke. But, if they continue to have a give-up/quit attitude, it's all for nothing.

Mental toughness and physical toughness are not independent. Pushing them hard physically in the offseason will also help them develop some mental toughness.

I will wait until I see the first game before I start making guesses on how many wins we will have for the 2013 season.

If you want a reality check go back and read the threads this time last year about predictions for the 2012 season.

I wonder if the new staff has considered employing some self-help/motivational speaking firm to come in and work with our players? (It couldn't hurt)

I can see it now. Gus brings in Tony Robbins to help, and for the season opener we are treated to the site of our beloved Tigers walking out on the field doing fistpumps and chanting "Yes!" repetitively.

I can see it now. Gus brings in Tony Robbins to help, and for the season opener we are treated to the site of our beloved Tigers walking out on the field doing fistpumps and chanting "Yes!" repetitively.

Hey - whatever it takes to get these guys back to fighting like Tigers and not laying down to our rivals like a bunch dang kitty cats is fine with me.

I will wait until I see the first game before I start making guesses on how many wins we will have for the 2013 season.

If you want a reality check go back and read the threads this time last year about predictions for the 2012 season.

And if we read the threads about the off-season workouts in the weightroom, along with player tweets & pics - we may want to :puke:

9 wins would give Gus COACH OF THE YEAR. Be realistic. 7 wins is a stretch with the advance of state and ole miss. The SEC is becoming stronger with the additions and the wins will be harder to come by. We are starting over,with nothing but a 1000 yard running back.

Truthfully, my expectations for this season are wide open. Everything hinges upon whether or not Gus can get these guys to buy in to the program and get them conditioned for four quarters of hard nosed football. As fragile as this group is, it seems silly to me to make any solid predictions, at the very least until post A-day.

I have to agree with m-o-m and 1787. More will be seen in the WAY we play (I believe) vs. W's & L's next year especially. We may not find our way completely, yet still compete hard, until 4-5 games into 2013.

9 wins would give Gus COACH OF THE YEAR. Be realistic. 7 wins is a stretch with the advance of state and ole miss. The SEC is becoming stronger with the additions and the wins will be harder to come by. We are starting over,with nothing but a 1000 yard running back.

Ouch! That hurt

LSU at LSU - Nope

A&M at College Station - Nope

Georgia at Auburn - Nope

Alabama at Auburn - Nope

That leaves 8.

Ole Miss - 50/50

Miss State - 50/50

Arkansas - 50/50

Tennessee - 50/50

That leaves 4 "should wins" however after last year, and until these kids show they want to be a team, there are no sure wins. La Monroe would have beat us last year had they gone for 2. We look way, way behind other teams physically and I do not know that that can be closed in a year. I have great anticipation of the long term (3-year) outlook for the staff Gus has put together but right now I'm happy with bowl eligibility.

You guys are right. They should just suspend the football program for this season and not even try to field a team. It's just hopeless. We might win one, maybe two games if we are lucky. Good grief. I am so depressed after reading this thread I might jump off of a building.

Archived