Allegations against Auburn

WarDamnEagle#1

In my opinion, this is a defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression and by definition constitutes libel. AU should file a civil suit against this person. By any measure, this thread is gossip and I believe it does not belong in the AU Football Forum.

If by some miracle this is false, we should definitely file a suit.

Auburn is a public institution and is widely known and generally libel and slander laws do not apply....just like celebrities. It's almost impossible to win a lawsuit for libel unless you can clearly show intent to damage and show that you suffered monetary damages too. The idea of suing is a waste of time and energy. Also, I'm amazed that someone on this board claiming to be an AU supporter would automatically accept that something like this is accurate just because it shows up in print somewhere. Do they have a course in "naïve thinking" at AU these day? It's not a matter of tin foil hats....sometimes it's a matter of common sense. JMO.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like there are some people a little worried about what Gus is bringing to the plains and are trying to do something about it.

Amen and Amen!!!!! But for just ONCE IN MY LIFE I wish we would at least TRY to find a way to hit back. I have watched the rope-a-dope for 56 years. I'm sick of it.

Isn't it interesting about the timing of this bunch of pulp fiction?

Just about the time people start digging around in Emmert's background, and looking at his buddy Saban and all the cheating at LSU.....AU takes another hit. Deflection is a great PR tool and the bammers are very good at it. I wonder who paid this pathetic excuse of a "journalist" to write this stuff?

If she could have gotten anyone to bite on this story she would have, she is an attention whore, due to being the scum of her profession she is now regulated to a crappy website to spew her garbage. Her past history has already ruined her career, hope she rots in.......

Funny how all the people who write these hit pieces have ties to the new york times

Find the REC/bammer guy who knows them and there's your answer....

Wish we could play as good as we are at running our mouths. Put a mic. in front of a former AU players mouth and god only knows whats gonna come out.

Alarm bells should have gone off in these guys heads the minute they were asked to be interviewed. Not like those three get asked everyday.

Hint fellas.....STFU.

I thought it had been too long since our last allegation,

talk to me about some events that happened after the colonoscopy the NCAA put us through

Here is the reason for this sudden old BS story in the link below..there always seems to be a "look what Auburn did" article to deflect when something nice stirs near the mouth breathers.....looks like a writer has finally seen enough and wants to unravel the thread that is ruining college football......

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/02/ncaa-president-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/

So Auburn coaches sabotage players with NFL scouts b/c they don't like their hair cuts? Ridiculous. Coaches want to show future players former players in the NFL.

Why would we pay a mediocre at best safety that's going around robbing people? Or a wide reciever who leaves and goes undraftrd instead of the sure money. Common sense folks. If you're getting a paycheck you're not going to go hit a lick.

So. Here we go again. This is becoming far too common to be mere coincidence. We're either committing widespread improprieties or someone has a consistent MO on how to keep negative media pressure on Auburn.

YMMV

The story has now hit the front page of ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9131624/auburn-tigers-coaches-bribed-players-altered-grades-broke-recruiting-rules-gene-chizik-according-report

Of course the article makes no mention of the players who have denied the report...

As soon as I saw the story, I knew the questions would come. What is true? What isn’t? Does this mean trouble for Auburn?

That Auburn graduate Selena Roberts’ would write hit a piece on Auburn athletics comes as no surprise. She’s done it before, and more than once. Ms. Roberts seems to have a real disdain for the inner workings of college athletics in general and Auburn in particular. But, really, that doesn’t matter. What matters is what she wrote.

In a very, very long piece, she wrote about the Auburn players who were charged in 2011 with armed robbery and specifically about Mike McNeil, who is scheduled to go on trial Thursday. Her piece was extremely sympathetic to McNeil and his family, and that’s not hard to understand. Clifton McNeil, Mike's grandfather, is one of the nicer men I’ve met. Mike was highly respected by his teammates.

Anyway, Ms. Roberts went from there to writing about Auburn players supposedly claiming to have been given money and about accusations that former coach Gene Chizik treated African-American players differently, didn’t like players with dreadlocks or tattoos and even tried to hurt players’ standings in the NFL draft.

Most of those players to whom she attributed those statements have already said, either via Twitter or in interviews, that were misquoted or were taken out of context or both.

Neiko Thorpe was particularly strong in his Tweet:

“While I spoke to Selena Roberts about Mike I have just read her article & not only am I misquoted but my words are very out of context. We didn't talk about NCAA violations or recruiting. I'm proud 2 have played at Auburn & the opportunities it gave me.”

I’m not going to accuse anyone of lying on either side, but I do have some thoughts:

* What in the world do dreadlocks or tattoos or drug tests or even alleged cash payments have to do with whether McNeil is guilty of armed robbery? I’m not sure I get that. Either he did it or he didn’t. I hope he didn’t, and if he didn’t, I pray he is acquitted.

* If Mike Blanc, Antoine Carter and Neiko Thorpe were unhappy in their time at Auburn, they did one heck of a job of disguising it. It’s hard to see why Darvin Adams, who had been essentially discarded by the previous staff, would have any hard feelings toward Chizik and his staff. They made him a star.

* To supposedly have a problem with dreadlocks and tattoos, Chizik sure did have a lot of players with dreadlocks and tattoos. He even had an assistant coach who filed a lawsuit against the Auburn City Schools because a coach told his son he couldn’t have dreadlocks.

* College football coaches love to tell recruits about players they’ve sent to the NFL. Why would they try tostop players from being drafted?

It’s remarkable, really, what Auburn athletics has been through since November 2010. It has emerged unscathed every time, but its reputation has taken a hit and takes a hit every time there’s another accusation. Why Auburn? I truly don’t know.

So where will this episode go for Auburn? No one can say for sure, but at this point it doesn’t look all that ominous or threatening to me.

Phillip Marshall

I hate that this article is getting the attention that it has, but at least the person who wrote it has a long history of writing bs stories.

There will be another one of these stories by someone else two weeks before the season starts. There will be another one a month before national signing day and then the cycle will repeat.

There will be another one of these stories by someone else two weeks before the season starts. There will be another one a month before national signing day and then the cycle will repeat.

Sarcasm slowly morphs into reality. I'm starting to see the perspective of the REC conspiracy theorists.

some of this is bothersome but as some have mentioned it is contradictory and don't make much sense in some areas. its the ax grinders that get all the attention but never have any proof. I anticipate hearing darvin adams response. all the others have disputed the story I think.

Archived