2015 5* JUCO RB Jovon Robinson commits to AU!

McWeagle

Don't know how to feel about this...does this mean we're low on Kerryon Johnson and Eric Swinney?

No, it means that we've cleared whatever NCAA hurdle we had. Robinson is a freak and is better than both Kerryon Johnson and Eric Swinney.

I agree. He went from HS where he was very, very good to being a record setting JC RB. I would love to have him. He would be awesome in our offense.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think this makes up for Ford moving to DB. Shouldn't effect Johnson or Swinney. Love this staff and love to see Robinson back with AU

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/5-star-RB-Jovon-Robinson-could-return-to-Auburn-185140

Robinson could return

AUBURN, Ala. -- For a couple of weeks in the blistering August heat of 2012, Jovon Robinson was an Auburn football player.

If the current Auburn staff gets its wish, the former running back signee will return in January.

The record-breaking junior college star spoke with Auburn coachGus Malzahn, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee and running backs coach Tim Horton Wednesday.

“It actually surprised me because I wasn’t expecting it,” Robinson said. “Auburn has always been one of my favorite schools, but when they called it really spiked my interest a little bit more.”

Robinson, who is rated a 5-star and the nation’s No. 1 junior college prospect by 247Sports, has a long-standing relationship with Malzahn, who started recruiting him nearly five year ago.

“I’ve always liked coach Malzahn,” Robinson said. “He was actually the first coach, OC to recruit me out of high school. He came to my high school when I was in 11th grade and told me I could do some special things with him.

“Me and Malzahn, our relationship has been kind of older. As good as it was back then, it can be better now.”

Robinson signed with Auburn in 2012 out of Wooddale in Memphis, Tenn. He reported to Auburn that summer and went through the first couple of weeks of preseason practice before being ruled academically ineligible after it was discovered that at least one of his high school grades had been changed by a Wooddale guidance counselor.

Robinson said he doesn’t harbor any resentment for how things went down at Auburn a couple of years ago.

“It’s still the same for me. You can assume that Auburn really was the best fit for me,” he said. “I’m still the same person. I’ve been the same player since high school. It’s more being consistent for me, not trying to prove anything. It would be nice to say, ‘I got a chip,’ but I’ve been the same person since I was eight years old. I’m just trying to get better and better.”

Of course, Robinson liked the potential of Auburn’s offense coming out of high school and feels the same about it now.

“It’s explosive,” he said. “They spread the ball around. They have guys running around the edges, going deep. It’s really a fun offense to watch. It’s actually something like I’m doing at GMC. It’s one of the more diverse offenses for running backs."

Robinson plans to visit Auburn next weekend.

Robinson, 5-foot-11 and 225 pounds, had a monster first season at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, Ga., last fall with a junior college record 2,387 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns on 272 carries, earning NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year honors. He led GMC to an 11-1 record as a freshman, losing to East Mississippi 52-32 in the NJCAA championship game.

Robinson, who is a December graduate, lists a top five, all even, of Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida State and Tennessee. Here’s what he had to say about his other four top schools.

Alabama: “I like the role of the running back there. I know some of the coaching staff and the relationship is already there. It’s actually closer to my home so it wouldn’t be a lot of traveling for my family.”

Florida State: “They won a national championship and that’s always a plus. They have an amazing quarterback. Their offense is kind of spread. I’ve never been out to Florida State so I’m looking forward to that. Definitely going to try and get down there this spring.”

Georgia: “It’s basically the same thing as Alabama, the running back is kind of the focus of the offense. I’ve actually Georgia a couple of times so I know about the campus and I know some of the players personally, which is always good.”

Tennessee: “I haven’t done much research on Tennessee yet. They haven’t pursued my or treated me as important as much as the other schools yet. I do know Tennessee has a solid program and there is a significant role for the running backs there.”

Robinson hopes to have a decision before the start of his sophomore season.

“Just figuring out a new offense and building relationships is what I’m looking forward to,” he said.

Auburn signed two players out of GMC in the 2014 class in defensive linemen DaVonte Lambert andDevaroe Lawrence.

Some crow will be devoured if he comes back. Very, very interesting development.

Was about to post how this clearly wasn't really happening and everyone is obviously having reading comprehension problems but you put it better.

Some crow will be devoured if he comes back. Very, very interesting development.

Just what I was thinking. For anyone who cares to look through this thread. I really didnt think he ever had a shot at AU, glad Im wrong. But, to say something for this board, by in large we were right about him. A lot of people on here said he would make us forget about yeldon. He seems to be legit. Nothing was his fault. I would love to have him back at AU.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! For whatever poster a few pages back bashing me for saying why recruit him yada yada yada, whatever man. Jovon returning back to Auburn is the RIGHT MOVE by both AU and the NCAA. How would you have felt had you been attending classes and practices only to be ripped away from it all because of jealousy. I really hope we can get him back on the plains.

Since he originally committed to Auburn, if he chose to re-commit would the coaches have him sit the next JUCO season so he would retain 3 years of eligibility? I wouldn't think the eligibility would be the biggest factor given his talent level, but rather to avert the chance of an injury.

And no other college would have that option, correct?

Since he originally committed to Auburn, if he chose to re-commit would the coaches have him sit the next JUCO season so he would retain 3 years of eligibility? I wouldn't think the eligibility would be the biggest factor given his talent level, but rather to avert the chance of an injury.

There's little point in redshirting this kind of talent these days.

Agreed. Plus, after the year he had last year, I'd hate to have to tell the kid to sit out a year. Man would I love to see him back in O&B though

I realize he wouldn't redshirt at Auburn, but I'm asking if he would sit out his next JUCO season if he re-signed with Auburn seeing as how he's class of 2015 now... Or is that only an option with a prep school like Jason Smith's situation (3 to play 3)?

Any school could ask him to sit out. Now, try telling his JUCO coach to do that... We don't have any pull in that area because we didn't "place" him like we did, say, Jason Smith.

There was a time when the NCAA had ruled he could not return to Auburn, ever. Maybe between Trooper/Luper being gone and the NCAA's own troubles we caught a break.

I realize he wouldn't redshirt at Auburn, but I'm asking if he would sit out his next JUCO season if he re-signed with Auburn seeing as how he's class of 2015 now... Or is that only an option with a prep school like Jason Smith's situation (3 to play 3)?

He doesn't want 5 years of eligibility. He wants to get to the NFL.

He doesn't want 5 years of eligibility. He wants to get to the NFL.

I'm also assuming it's pretty much unheard of for someone to redshirt sometime other than their freshman year?

Just wanted to take a moment to mention and honor late great AUPops. This is a private message he sent me 3 months ago on Jovon.

Sent 29 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

E, I feel it only fair to give you a heads up on Jovon Robinson. Because of the kid's success this year Gus and CDC are taking a second look. If they appeal to the NCAA (to be allowed to recruit him), it will be based on the fact that the violations occurred during Chizik's tenure, not under the current one. Not saying they will appeal, but it has been discussed.

Since I got that message 3 months ago it is safe to say the process here has been going on longer than that. It looks like the staff appealed and was given the go ahead from the NCAA. Glad to have 1 last of many recruiting nuggets from Pops come true.

Is there any way to separate this thread in 2 by recruiting period? IE his HS recruiting vs JuCo?

No and there's no need to. The OP can be simply updated with Juco info which I or another Mod will do.

Was about to post how this clearly wasn't really happening and everyone is obviously having reading comprehension problems but you put it better.

Those of us in the loop on it were told to continue responding that way til the staff decided if they wanted to appeal and if the appeal went through. There was no need to prematurely get hopes up. No crow to be eaten.

No AU would not do that. It would give other colleges recruiting him an advantage. They would say Sure. Goo ahead and play juco this year. We'll take your bad arse for 2 years. jucos never get told by the college they are committed to to RS their second playing juco year. The only time they are RSed at the request of a school is in the prospects 1st jucio year and if the college placed him in juco. We stopped all contact with Jovon and did not place him. No other schools would have what option?

There was a time when the NCAA had ruled he could not return to Auburn, ever. Maybe between Trooper/Luper being gone and the NCAA's own troubles we caught a break.

Anybody know the details here? My understanding was that a grade was changed by a HS guidance counselor. Was that counselor deemed an Auburn booster by the NCAA? Why would it make any difference if Trooper/Luper were gone? Were they accused of any wrongdoing? I'm not even understanding why the NCAA would say we can't recruit him.

(Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I don't have the time to read back through the 1100 posts in this thread.)

Anybody know the details here? My understanding was that a grade was changed by a HS guidance counselor. Was that counselor deemed an Auburn booster by the NCAA? Why would it make any difference if Trooper/Luper were gone? Were they accused of any wrongdoing? I'm not even understanding why the NCAA would say we can't recruit him.

(Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I don't have the time to read back through the 1100 posts in this thread.)

My understanding is Troop was involved to some extent. The rest is in my post at the top of this page.

I really like the way JR can change direction, he makes very good cuts. I want him in our backfield.

I saw on another article (247Sports, Free Content) that another poster put somewhere on AUFamily (honestly it could have even been in this thread, I don't remember) that said Jovon was visiting this weekend. To me, that speaks volumes about how high he is on Auburn.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but this is awesome. I realize we still have a ways to go to get him back in an Auburn uniform but the fact that we're back in it is exciting. I remember telling guys at work that Jovon would be one to watch for even when we still had Yeldon committed. Please let this come to fruition...

Archived