2015 5* JUCO RB Jovon Robinson commits to AU!

McWeagle

I may be wrong but it seems like he made the statement about uat being a favorite at one time when he started about returning to div 1. I don't have a link but think I remember it being discussed at one point.

In the free article yesterday by Bryan Matthews he said his top 5 of AU, Bama, UGA, FSU, andUTk are even.

I aw that also. Think he said in that article or maybe a different article that he hasn't even visited UT yet. Kind of hard to believe all schools are even if he hasn't visited. UT must be talking a great game.

This kid was looking promising before he was removed from the team. Would love to have him back in CGM's O.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since he originally committed to Auburn, if he chose to re-commit would the coaches have him sit the next JUCO season so he would retain 3 years of eligibility? I wouldn't think the eligibility would be the biggest factor given his talent level, but rather to avert the chance of an injury.

And no other college would have that option, correct?

No AU would not do that. It would give other colleges recruiting him an advantage. They would say Sure. Goo ahead and play juco this year. We'll take your bad arse for 2 years. jucos never get told by the college they are committed to to RS their second playing juco year. The only time they are RSed at the request of a school is in the prospects 1st jucio year and if the college placed him in juco. We stopped all contact with Jovon and did not place him. No other schools would have what option?

Thanks. You and Mikey answered my question. I was erroneously trying to compare Jovon's situation (if he re-committed) to Jason Smith's, which is completely different.

I like the idea of getting Jovon back to Auburn but do we really need another RB? it seems like we are stacked for the remainder of his eligibility.

Per Bryan Matthews and I agree,
He's likely a one-and-done, but is the type that can lead a team to a championship in that one year.
You don't pass on a championship solidifying type player like that even just for 1 season. Besides he may be better than any back we have on roster now. Gus has shown he will gladly take a top juco to upgrade positions or add depth. Another thing Jovon would bring is immediate experience. He would be the only upperclassman RB on the 2015 roster. Barber and Roc will only have 1 yeear of college PT under their belts.

And even he might not see the field this year. If we were able to redshirt Barber last year, I see no reason why we can't redshirt Roc this year. Either way, I agree with your response.

We have plenty of room for Jovon Robinson, IMO. I understand the argument that we would prefer a 3-4 year guy, but there's also the argument that this guy would be coming in as a more tested and proven player than a kid right out of high school.

Duke Williams approves of this message :)

Things we have going for us:

He was ENROLLED at AU.

AU pulled two kids from his Juco last year so our coaches have been visible to him

Malzahn had Tre Mason a Heisman contender year one. saban and kiffin won't be able to sniff that.

Things we have going against us:

He painted his car from O&B to that other schools colors.

I may be wrong but it seems like he made the statement about uat being a favorite at one time when he started about returning to div 1. I don't have a link but think I remember it being discussed at one point.

I recall that too. Great if we get him but it wouldn't be a big disappointment for me if we didn't. Seems that he got a little chummy with Bama at one point. I really do think we have a good shot at him b/c he does love Gus but i'm not getting my hopes up to have this play out like situations in the past with the turds. If he was a LB or S i'd probably be more interested in the situation but IMO we'll always get quality RBs just b/c of our style of play and having the tradition of being RBU.

Things we have going for us:

He was ENROLLED at AU.

AU pulled two kids from his Juco last year so our coaches have been visible to him

Malzahn had Tre Mason a Heisman contender year one. saban and kiffin won't be able to sniff that.

Things we have going against us:

He painted his car from O&B to that other schools colors.

I recall that too. Great if we get him but it wouldn't be a big disappointment for me if we didn't. Seems that he got a little chummy with Bama at one point. I really do think we have a good shot at him b/c he does love Gus but i'm not getting my hopes up to have this play out like situations in the past with the turds. If he was a LB or S i'd probably be more interested in the situation but IMO we'll always get quality RBs just b/c of our style of play and having the tradition of being RBU.

They were the first school to offer I believe which is why he has always liked them IIRC

Of all the recruiting B.S. that AU has had to put up with over the years, this may be the most irritating. They have alumni changing Josh Chapman's grades for him, and he gets into school anyway and plays for them. We have a great RB sign, find out someone years back and unrelated to AU changed his grades, and it's worse than a small pox outbreak. It's really going to suck if he ends up at Cheaters United in t-town.

We have a great RB sign, find out someone years back and unrelated to AU changed his grades

The counselor was an AU fan (not sure if grad) and also drove him to at least one of his visits to Auburn. That is why it looked bad.

Ya I'm not taking the bait on this guy. Every Tom, DIck and Harry in the recruiting business was sure we would sign that guy that punked us last year. Too much room for animosity. The turds are always trolling for a chance to entice an Auburn staff to waste time and a saved slot for a big name with an ax to grind. We got great RB talent in the wings. No extreme need a one and done. Make the guy a sincere offer but don't dance with his granny or attend his paw paw's birthday party begging for a signature. Hope he comes but not gonna dive into the big recruiting HYPE ocean. I'll sit on the beach and watch all the headless chickens slam dance.

We have a great RB sign, find out someone years back and unrelated to AU changed his grades

The counselor was an AU fan (not sure if grad) and also drove him to at least one of his visits to Auburn. That is why it looked bad.

And that's worse than Kevin Steele, a bama coach, calling a school and seemingly talking a guidance counselor into changing his grades just so he can qualify academically? I dont get it. Bama gets away with things that when its Auburn thats involved, it ends up costing us players.

They were the first school to offer I believe which is why he has always liked them IIRC

As a juco maybe. We were on him first in high school.

As a juco maybe. We were on him first in high school.

http://footballrumormill.com/2013/04/09/jovon-robinson-gets-second-chance-to-fulfill-his-dream/

Robinson’s 2012 Dodge Challenger, which was once painted white with orange and blue stripes, has been a topic of accusations and allegations. Fans of Auburn’s rivals insist that someone connected to the program purchased it for him.

DMV records show that it was purchased in April 2012, the same month he took possession of his share of the settlement from his father’s death. The car, he says, was a graduation present that he and his mother purchased.

Before he left for GMC, Robinson changed the color of the stripes to red and black. Even though those are the Bulldogs’ colors, it’s meant to signify Auburn’s arch rival.

“The color on my car can represent GMC, but it’s actually more ‘Roll Tide,’ ” he said.

Robinson, who won’t be eligible to transfer to a Division I school until December 2014 at the earliest, knows that a lot can change between now and then, especially in the fickle world of recruiting.

“If does work out, it can (represent Alabama),” he said. “If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.”

Robinson considered both Alabama and Auburn out of high school. The first — and only — college game he’s ever attended was the 2010 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa.

“It’s crazy how things work out. Alabama was my first offer, and I wasn’t even thinking about Auburn at that time,” he said. “Auburn was my last offer. Then I went to Auburn, and now, I guess, I’m hoping to go to Alabama.”

Jovon's skill set is more dynamic than just RB. With Jonothon Ford playing defense, JR could fill an icing on the cake role in Gusball (one Gus has not had a guy to truly fill in a few years), of a player that's both a top shelf receiver and also a guy D's have to respect as a true RB carrying the ball out of the backfield.

Ya I'm not taking the bait on this guy. Every Tom, DIck and Harry in the recruiting business was sure we would sign that guy that punked us last year. Too much room for animosity. The turds are always trolling for a chance to entice an Auburn staff to waste time and a saved slot for a big name with an ax to grind. We got great RB talent in the wings. No extreme need a one and done. Make the guy a sincere offer but don't dance with his granny or attend his paw paw's birthday party begging for a signature. Hope he comes but not gonna dive into the big recruiting HYPE ocean. I'll sit on the beach and watch all the headless chickens slam dance.

+1. I'll be sitting along with you Spider.

Jovon's skill set is more dynamic than just RB. With Jonothon Ford playing defense, JR could fill an icing on the cake role in Gusball (one Gus has not had a guy to truly fill in a few years), of a player that's both a top shelf receiver and also a guy D's have to respect as a true RB carrying the ball out of the backfield.

Agreed. Having followed him in HS, has a build, lean and power similar to Yeldon but superior hands. Would absolutely take a one and done from him, regardless of who else is in the line-up. Truly a special athlete.

For those suggesting we shouldn't worry with a JUCO runner, particularly a one and done type, because of the depth we have, I can't help but to differ. At this point, we have two proven RBs on the roster, and both are seniors. I fully believe both Barber and Thomas will be outstanding, but this offense is made for spreading the ball around...especially if we're able to get up to the 85 plays per game rate that CGM wants.

Furthermore, it is always good to have plenty of talent waiting in the wings, particularly at running back.

Now, that having been said, we DO have depth at running back already, so missing on him won't hurt a whole lot, if we do. Let us not forget that Kam Pettway is no pushover, in his own right, and we will almost certainly be pursuing high school running backs this year, as well, if for no other reason than to keep the links in the chain strong down the road.

No some crow should be eaten by anybody who was abrasive to anybody else for expressing the idea of still going after Robinson. Guys never want to admit when they are wrong Smh

What crow? There was an NCAA agreement that we wouldn't recruit him anymore. That is why people were "abrasive" towards those who were suggesting that we should recruit him. How can you recruit him when the NCAA has told you not to?

The NCAA matter has apparently been settled. Why do you think we are just now offering and starting to talk to him? They didn't magically forget about him and then just remembered the other day.

I really don't care what was said or who said it or what was settled if a person suggested it was a chance to recruit him again and then you come in telling them how unintelligent they are you're just butt now. I don't really care what your logic was to show how much smarter you were than the person at the time you decided to do so

OK, but wasn't Jovon's grade change from somewhere back in junior high, before he was really on anyone's radar (and I may be wrong, that was just my understanding). Chapman's grade was changed by a former uat cheerleader, who was in seemingly in constant contact with a current uat coach, during Chapman's senior year, and the change was the difference in him being eligible or not for Div I football. He was also a AU lean at one time, before the grade change, and then became a UAT commit. If they can walk right in at UAT, it's ridiculous that Jovon was such a big deal, unless some of my facts are way off.

I have no issue with us recruiting JR. If we can get him then great...i'm just not going to feed into the recruiting hype that he's high on Auburn until he actually signs due to the situation that has occurred with him.

For those suggesting we shouldn't worry with a JUCO runner, particularly a one and done type, because of the depth we have, I can't help but to differ. At this point, we have two proven RBs on the roster, and both are seniors. I fully believe both Barber and Thomas will be outstanding, but this offense is made for spreading the ball around...especially if we're able to get up to the 85 plays per game rate that CGM wants.

Furthermore, it is always good to have plenty of talent waiting in the wings, particularly at running back.

Now, that having been said, we DO have depth at running back already, so missing on him won't hurt a whole lot, if we do. Let us not forget that Kam Pettway is no pushover, in his own right, and we will almost certainly be pursuing high school running backs this year, as well, if for no other reason than to keep the links in the chain strong down the road.

Nice post red. I agree with everything and I would love for Robinson to come back to AU.

Do those of you disparaging a one-and-done juco guy wanna trade our Crystal Trophy for a 3-4 year starting QB? I didn't think so.

I'll take another Heisman and another championship any way we can get them.

Agreed. Having followed him in HS, has a build, lean and power similar to Yeldon but superior hands. Would absolutely take a one and done from him, regardless of who else is in the line-up. Truly a special athlete.

I agree. Think he had a much higher awareness as well, especially knowing when that cut back lane opens up

After CAP and Grant graduate, we will have no upperclassmen for 2015 (if Ford stays on defense). Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber will both be sophomores by all projections. I would love to have Robinson come in as a Junior and Kerryon Johnson come in as a freshmen to load up our backfield. This would spread the talent over 3-4 classes unlike Alabama who signed 4 stud RB's that all came in as freshmen.

Archived