Former FSU QB Clint Trickett (transferred to West Virginia)

IronMan70

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?

wde

Nope. He is about to graduate. He has two years to play; doesn't have to sit out. Whever he goes..he can play right away. That's why i'd be surprise if he chooses Auburn b/c he could possibly go somewhere else and probably automaticly start.

That is actually why I think AU maybe more of a contender than people initially thought. We are the only SEC school that is mentioned in connection with Trickett at this moment (or at least that I have heard). Plus, we have his old QB Coach in Coach Craig. The other schools that have been mentioned with him are Michigan, West Virginia, and South Florida. I honestly don't see him starting at Michigan over the guy they have got that played when Denard Robinson was hurt. And I don't see West Virginia and Sourth Florida being able to offer the chance to play on a stage as big as the SEC. Not saying it will work out, but I could see this being a big opportunity and not a bad decision if he winds up with AU.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember all the folks on this board that didn't want us to consider NC State transfer Russell Wilson because doing so would be treachery and mess up the great chemistry & dynamic among "quality" QB candidates at that time Kiehl Frazier, Clint Mosely and Barrett Trotter.

Ha..i remember those comments too. I thought Wilson's experience would've certainly benefited us and he was the best out of 3 of those guys but i'd be lying if i said i thought he would've been as good as he was his last year at Wisconsin and then in the NFL. With Wilson I thought...cool if he comes but cool if he doesn't. Thought we would be in a better position if we did get him but didn't think we'd be in a horrible QB position without him....boy was I wrong thinking that. lol. Wilson clearly made the right choice going to Wisconsin. Hind sight is certainly 20/20.

What I learned from the Wilson situation and last years season outcome is that you can't have too many QBs esp. if there is no clear cut starter...so I'd wecome Trickett with open arms if he wants to come!

wde

Nope. He is about to graduate. He has two years to play; doesn't have to sit out. Whever he goes..he can play right away. That's why i'd be surprise if he chooses Auburn b/c he could possibly go somewhere else and probably automaticly start.

Well crud. I didn't know that. I thought he had to sit a year. If that's the case, I hope he chooses us.

wde

Flip side: I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't come here because he knows he will automatically be the starter.

Valid point.

wde

Flip side: I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't come here because he knows he will automatically be the starter.

Valid point.

True. It would be a 3 man competition with NM, JJ and Trickett. All starting from the same point in terms of practice time with the team/coaches.

wde

I watched this guy a lot in high school and he was very very good, seemed even better in the big games against the best competition.

If Trickett were about twenty pounds heavier we'd all be all over him coming to AU IMO after I watched this vid

http://www.youtube.c...SmoM?autoplay=1

Dude can throw, sadly better than all of our QBs since Cam.

(Also good speech by uncle Pacino ;)

I finally decided to check and see just what Trickett looked like on the gridiron. WOW! That young man can throw with accuracy and percise placement! He is not the biggest kid reminds me of Johnny M with TA&M. From what I have seen in that vid posted above I am all for given him a shot.

wde

That is actually why I think AU maybe more of a contender than people initially thought. We are the only SEC school that is mentioned in connection with Trickett at this moment (or at least that I have heard). Plus, we have his old QB Coach in Coach Craig. The other schools that have been mentioned with him are Michigan, West Virginia, and South Florida. I honestly don't see him starting at Michigan over the guy they have got that played when Denard Robinson was hurt. And I don't see West Virginia and Sourth Florida being able to offer the chance to play on a stage as big as the SEC. Not saying it will work out, but I could see this being a big opportunity and not a bad decision if he winds up with AU.

I see your point. Valid. I agree on the Michigan situation. I'd be curious to learn more about WV's QB situation though with Geno being gone. WV would appear to be a front runner IMO. Never know which other teams will express interest but as other posters have mentioned having CDC is an advantage and Gus would certainly love having his throwing ability.

Also, If WV is one of the schools he is looking at, then he can see what they did for Geno. Go there and be getting paid the big bucks in a little over a year. :dunno:

wde

Well crud. I didn't know that. I thought he had to sit a year. If that's the case, I hope he chooses us.

Yep..he'll have two years! http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/04/former_florida_state_quarterba.html

I'm little surprised he is choosing to transfer. I understand that Winston is expected to be big time and beating out Trickett seems to show that but injuries happen and there are times where freshmen can be FRESHMEN! As the back up Trickett could've easy found himself as the starting QB so I wonder if there was something else involved in addition to just losing the position to Winston? Is it just an emotional decision? IDK. I'd be upset i got beat out by a trure freshman...yea but looking at the big picture he certainly could've been starting at some point.

Also, If WV is one of the schools he is looking at, then he can see what they did for Geno. Go there and be getting paid the big bucks in a little over a year. :dunno:

Yep. He would sling it all over the field at WVU.

wde

From the outside looking in it really seems like a shoe-in on both sides. He has a good chance to start, will be in the SEC, and his former QB coach is here(though coaching another position). We get another QB candidate to raise the playing field level, and of all the candidates that aren't freshman, he seems to have the most accurate arm. Honestly I'm having a hard time finding a reason for him NOT to come here. Only thing that comes to mind is if another school tells him straight up, you will start.

From the outside looking in it really seems like a shoe-in on both sides. He has a good chance to start, will be in the SEC, and his former QB coach is here(though coaching another position). We get another QB candidate to raise the playing field level, and of all the candidates that aren't freshman, he seems to have the most accurate arm. Honestly I'm having a hard time finding a reason for him NOT to come here. Only thing that comes to mind is if another school tells him straight up, you will start.

Agree. He has two years to play...start from day 1..has good game experience and an accurate passer. All things our current QBs lack. It would give JJ the proper chance to develop and allow NM to play CB....a position he clearly wouldn't mind playing b/c he would like a chance at the NFL and CB would be his best shoot. If Trickett adds some weight....we'd really be in business. He would be a Win/Win situation all around if we're able to get him.

Agree. He has two years to play...start from day 1..has good game experience and an accurate passer. All things our current QBs lack. It would give JJ the proper chance to develop and allow NM to play CB....a position he clearly wouldn't mind playing b/c he would like a chance at the NFL and CB would be his best shoot. If Trickett adds some weight....we'd really be in business. He would be a Win/Win situation all around if we're able to get him.

Given how well our CBs were this spring I am not sure NM to CB in that scenario is likely. Also I am not sure how much more weight Tricket will put on. He has put on 20 pounds since the highlights earlier in the thread and being diagnosed with Celiac disease in October 2011 and expects to have 5 more pounds on when fall camp starts wherever he goes.
"You pass by a Krispy Kreme every time you go home, and you're kicking yourself," he joked, but after playing at about 165 pounds two years ago, he figures to check in at "a pretty big 190" by the start of fall camp.
Link

Also. Here is a nice read from Fall camo 2012 Link

Given how well our CBs were this spring I am not sure NM to CB in that scenario is likely. Also I am not sure how much more weight Tricket will put on. He has put on 20 pounds since the highlights earlier in the thread and being diagnosed with Celiac disease in October 2011 and expects to have 5 more pounds on when fall camp starts wherever he goes.
"You pass by a Krispy Kreme every time you go home, and you're kicking yourself," he joked, but after playing at about 165 pounds two years ago, he figures to check in at "a pretty big 190" by the start of fall camp.
Link

Also. Here is a nice read from Fall camo 2012 Link

Thanks for the info! Yea...i just read about him having Celiac disease. As long as he isn't a statue in the pocket I think it can certainly work. People loved using Chris Todd as an example of Gus's success...I see Trickett operating much like Chris did as a QB. I think Gus's system is good in utilizing either a Pro or Dual QB. We have 3 very viable RBs...let them run it. Coaches have to be able to make adjustments just like players. It's all about playing the players that give you the best chance to win IMO and implementing ways/plays in helping those guys get the most out of their talent so I don't believe in the "he doesn't fit Gus's system or typical QB" as some believe.

Good info..thanks again!

On Auburn's side of things, this is definitely a no-brainier. He was better as a freshman than KF and JW are now, and he will provide really great competition for NM during Fall camp. On his side of things, Auburn does not look as good as other schools where he is guaranteed a starting spot. He transferred because he has the tools, experience, and confidence to be a starter, and at Auburn he appears to be back at square one. . . Competing for the job.

We now know that Gus and Rhett DO NOT want to go to battle with KF or JW. They are hoping NM or Trickett can give us some solid QB play.

I think we are writing off KF and JW too soon. Just my opinion.

"Dont worry, Kodi Burns will surely improve..."

We have no quarterback on roster. The coaching staff has seen enough of those two to make a safe assumption on whether or not they can play. Neither one showed much last year, to put it lightly, and both have obvious glaring deficiencies.

Well the interest in Trickett speaks to that opinion.

I will admit I haven't read all 11 pages. So we know for sure Gus is interested in Trickett?

I will admit I haven't read all 11 pages. So we know for sure Gus is interested in Trickett?

Link

He is supposed to be visiting today. Safe assumption says that he wouldn't be taking a visit if there wasn't serious interest here.

Thanks E and Metafour.

I don't want to read too much into it, but now I am even more concerned with KF and JW.

Oh well, Gus knows what he is doing!!

Picked this tidbit up from another site and was just confirmed by 23.

CDC has voiced after coaching him (Trickett) for 2 years that he is "miles ahead" of anything we have on campus.

I don't want to read too much into it, but now I am even more concerned with KF and JW.

It should be blatantly obvious by now that neither of those two is the answer. Frazier is in his 3rd year, still wildly inaccurate, and more importantly has major deficiencies in areas of the position that are rarely improvable (decision making, handling and reacting to a pass-rush, etc). Jonathan Wallace, bless his heart, is a mid-major QB that was signed away at the last minute to fill depth. At the absolute best he is an average quarterback. Relying on him is nothing different than relying on a Clint Moseley.

Trickett is an upgrade to those two. I've been saying since Marshall was signed that he would be the starter, but if we were to land Trickett we would at least have a reasonable QB battle.

Archived