Former FSU QB Clint Trickett (transferred to West Virginia)

IronMan70

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No reason not to come. In my mind all he will have to beat out is a Jr college transfer and a freshman. The 2 we have now fighting it out or just average,to below average QB'S. So all though there are 4-5 QB'S....you are just looking at this year. Start or backup, either way you will get a lot of playing time in an exciting offense.

Wow. We must be in more dire straits at QB than I thought. I really figured Gus & crew could get 'em back in shape by this season. Just purely based on their actions here, it seems like they're at least open to bringing a brand new entity to the fold. That's telling.

As for the debate on wanting him or not, as pointed out above, Craig worked with him for 3 years and would know much better than us if the kid is worth the look. I do not know if Trickett is the answer or not but Studying Gus I can tell you this much. Gus will choose the QB who is the most efficient passer and best at limiting turnovers.

Wow. We must be in more dire straits at QB than I thought. I really figured Gus & crew could get 'em back in shape by this season. Just purely based on their actions here, it seems like they're at least open to bringing a brand new entity to the fold. That's telling.

As Gus and Rhett have proven, they can coach within reason limiting turnovers. But in many cases you can't teach accuracy other than tweeking a bit. Accuracy is the biggest issue with both KF and JW.

I remember when there was a group saying that we didn't need to actively pursue Russell Wilson a couple of years ago. We had Trotter, Frazier and Moseley, no need to bring in a guy for one year to upset the chemistry, etc. While I think Trotter got rattled during the 2011 season and lost his bearings a bit, we didn't have a solid starter that we could rely on. Gus & co. may see things the same way this season. They know what they have right now and, as others have stated, a true freshman and a JUCO with talent but a checkered past, could make this season very long. We might need a more proven QB. I thought Kodi was a shoe-in at QB in 2009 when Chizik and Gus came in but obviously Todd was the better choice. Frazier and Wallace may be the same situation....time will tell. GM, RL, & DC know what they are doing and will make the right decision.

I thought Kodi was a shoe-in at QB in 2009 when Chizik and Gus came in but obviously Todd was the better choice.

Perfect example to what I am talking about in passing efficiency andlimiting turnovers being most important to Gus. Thanks for sharing.

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Trickett will visit Auburn and Michigan, although USF and WVU remain the frontrunners.

Hmm, interesting development. ;)

The interest alone indicates to me neither QB has stepped up the way the coaches would like.

++++.

Trickett visiting Auburn alone confirms what i initially thought about our QB situation; not good at all. I'd be very surprised if Trickett choose Auburn but considering our QB issues i think he would have a very good chance to start; which could move NM to CB/WR...save JJ's redshirt. If some where still in denial we didn't have a starting QB from spring practice...this should leave no doubt.

AU has a QB problem: the two current scholarship QBs to go through spring training don't have a lock on the position, and either could be supplanted by the two newcomers in the fall -- a JUCO transfer and a true freshman. ... ... Why would we not give this kid a look? If CDC coached Clint at FSU then he's not an unknown quantity. The father's issues at AU have nothing to do with the son. If CDC thinks it's worthwhile and AU has scholarship room then I can't see adding Clint Trickett as anything else but a positive.

I'd be surprised if he did pick Auburn but i don't think it is far fetched that he would have a good chance to start. I think the QB problem is bigger than what some may think.

We do not need Trickett in my opinion. However; we need to hope and pray either NM or JJ use this summer wisely and come in ready in August or hope and pray Wallace improves greatly between now and August. Those three are who we are counting on for at least a 7 win season in 2013.

wde

I've nothing against "Hope & Prayer" in general, but ... ... I believe your post just made an argument for AU to take a chance on Clint Trickett! Seriously, at this point in time what could it hurt to have another option "just in case?"

+1

As for the debate on wanting him or not, as pointed out above, Craig worked with him for 3 years and would know much better than us if the kid is worth the look. I do not know if Trickett is the answer or not but Studying Gus I can tell you this much. Gus will choose the QB who is the most efficient passer and best at limiting turnovers.

+1. Not sure Trickett is the answer either, but I do think this staff will do all it can do to put the most efficient passer on the field. And like you said, I think Coach Craig knows a lot more about Trickett than I do. So until this staff proves me wrong, if they think he could be a good addition at AU, I don't mind seeing it play out.

AU has a QB problem: the two current scholarship QBs to go through spring training don't have a lock on the position, and either could be supplanted by the two newcomers in the fall -- a JUCO transfer and a true freshman. ... ... Why would we not give this kid a look? If CDC coached Clint at FSU then he's not an unknown quantity. The father's issues at AU have nothing to do with the son. If CDC thinks it's worthwhile and AU has scholarship room then I can't see adding Clint Trickett as anything else but a positive.

I'd be surprised if he did pick Auburn but i don't think it is far fetched that he would have a good chance to start. I think the QB problem is bigger than what some may think.

I agree. We just don't have a QB on campus right now that can take us where we need to be. Trickett has played real D1 ball, and seemed to do pretty well at it. I have thought for a long time that NM will be the answer, but Trickett makes the situation more interesting. I know that everyone thinks that the QB race is already crazy, but my personal opinion is that the choice is a no-brainer unless Trickett comes to AU.

His visit alone is telling IMO.

His visit alone is telling IMO.

I agree. It tells me that two scholarship QB's, that are on campus now, are not enough. Yes we have two more coming in. One is a true freshmen and the other played DB the last time he played in our conference. Our numbers are low at the QB position. Why not bring him in just for the numbers?

If Trickett were about twenty pounds heavier we'd all be all over him coming to AU IMO after I watched this vid

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n4nQb3eSmoM?autoplay=1

Dude can throw, sadly better than all of our QBs since Cam.

(Also good speech by uncle Pacino ;)

Just remember all the folks on this board that didn't want us to consider NC State transfer Russell Wilson because doing so would be treachery and mess up the great chemistry & dynamic among "quality" QB candidates at that time Kiehl Frazier, Clint Mosely and Barrett Trotter.

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?

wde

Nope. He is about to graduate. He has two years to play; doesn't have to sit out. Whever he goes..he can play right away. That's why i'd be surprise if he chooses Auburn b/c he could possibly go somewhere else and probably automaticly start.

On the vid I posted above he looks like a boy amongst men but he has killer ball placement in those "highlights" of course. But that's one thing I believe KF and JW continue to struggle with is knowing where the ball they have thrown is gonna land. Ball placement<---. But if Clint could pack on ten pounds and can put the ball where Gus needs it. I see him as hard to pass up. If you want to win SEC games that is

wde

Nope. He is about to graduate. He has two years to play; doesn't have to sit out. Whever he goes..he can play right away. That's why i'd be surprise if he chooses Auburn b/c he could possibly go somewhere else and probably automaticly start.

Flip side: I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't come here because he knows he will automatically be the starter.

wde

Thanks. Well if our staff truly wants him to come in and compete for the QB job for this season, this is just another piece of evidence that the staff understands that the 2 guys currently on campus simply are not the answer at QB.

wde

Archived