Former FSU QB Clint Trickett (transferred to West Virginia)

IronMan70

I will agree that we dont have a proven QB yet on our roster, but in my not so expert opinion I dont think this kid is as good as yall are saying. Not to take anything away from the kid but most of his throws are short throws where the reciever does all the work (screens, dump offs, hitches, etc.). Then there's his size. I dont think he could survive a couple games in the SEC let alone the whole season.

Lets hope Nic Marshall is as good as advertised

He still has a ton more of experience than NM. Quite frankly the only ones advertising NM are over zealous fans. Yes Tricket's size would deffinantly be a concern, but like you said the throws he is making in the hjghights are the ones the QBs currently on roster have had trouble completing. I look at him as a more mobile Chris Todd. And he happened to set records in his one year under CGM. I think we need all the competition we can at QB this fall.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will agree that we dont have a proven QB yet on our roster, but in my not so expert opinion I dont think this kid is as good as yall are saying. Not to take anything away from the kid but most of his throws are short throws where the reciever does all the work (screens, dump offs, hitches, etc.). Then there's his size. I dont think he could survive a couple games in the SEC let alone the whole season.

He still has a ton more of experience than NM. Quite frankly the only ones advertising NM are over zealous fans. Yes Tricket's size would deffinantly be a concern, but like you said the throws he is making in the hjghights are the ones the QBs currently on roster have had trouble completing. I look at him as a more mobile Chris Todd. And he happened to set records in his one year under CGM. I think we need all the competition we can at QB this fall.

Agree with that last comment. We are RBU, not QBU!

Not to take anything away from the kid but most of his throws are short throws where the reciever does all the work (screens, dump offs, hitches, etc.)

You just described most of the throws in this offense. Watch his video though, he has an arm. Easily more arm strength than Todd and his crippled shoulder. Watch the throw at 5:10 :

Then there's his size. I dont think he could survive a couple games in the SEC let alone the whole season.

He took hits at FSU and survived. Kid isn't any smaller than Brandon Cox was. He's also gained weight.

Agree he is not spectacular or a Russell Wilson type of guy we would be getting but Trickett would be better than what we currently have. I'm hoping NM can be good as advertised but he is a big unknown so if we have the opportunity to get a QB that has some D1 game experience and put up decent numbers...i say we go for it. The more the better! Right now we have 2 QBs that maybe can give us 5 or 6 wins at best.

Also, Trickett would be utilized as a pocket passer. Gus has had success with pocket passers. It's nice to have an added demention with the running threat of the QB but as long as he gets decent passing protection and is not a statue in the pocket and throws the ball away when needed...we have alot of weapons that he could utilize as a pocket passer. We don't need a spectacular QB for the offense to put up good numbers.....just one that has accuracy, can make the simple throws, ability to lead a team and make defensive reads to get the ball where it needs to be.

Exact same comparison that came to my mind. He's def. not a statue in the pocket. I'd LOVE to have Chris Todd right about now!

no thanks. Don't want him.

^^^^ THIS

Do your homework on the guy. He's never played barring when EJ Manuel got banged up. Now he's transferring because he can't beat out two RS freshmen. His offer list out of high school wasn't that impressive. "Then how did he get an offer from FSU??" you ask?? HIS DADDY IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH!

no thanks. Don't want him.

^^^^ THIS

Do your homework on the guy. He's never played barring when EJ Manuel got banged up. Now he's transferring because he can't beat out two RS freshmen. His offer list out of high school wasn't that impressive. "Then how did he get an offer from FSU??" you ask?? HIS DADDY IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH!

Sounds like JW with no real big time offeres and KF who has only seen limited action all rolled into one QB and he still looks better than they do on film. He certainly wouldn't be a savior and i don't think no one is making him out to be if he came here. Point is..we need all the QB options we can get so if he wants to consider us and clearly the coaches want to consider him or he wouldn't be visiting Auburn...then I don't see the harm.

Do your homework on the guy.

Our WR coach and Co-OC was his QB coach at FSU the entire time he was there. No way this gets even past the contemplation stage without Craig putting in a real strong word. The comment floating around the internet from Craig states that Trickett is miles ahead of anyone we have on roster.

He's never played barring when EJ Manuel got banged up.

Yeah...that is usually what the backups job is: to play when the starter is hurt. Manuel is his senior and will be drafted within the top 3 rounds of this NFL draft, possibly even 1st round. Whats the point you are trying to make? That he didn't unseat a more experienced, NFL caliber QB?

Now he's transferring because he can't beat out two RS freshmen.

He cant beat out Jameis Winston, a 5-star signee and the #1 QB in his class. We dont have anyone on roster who is anywhere near the talent of Winston.

His offer list out of high school wasn't that impressive. "Then how did he get an offer from FSU?? you ask??". HIS DADDY IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH!

Recruited by Stanford. Since announcing his plan to transfer he has also received serious interest from WVU and USF (where former Stanford coach Willie Taggart is the new HC). What, did his dad get him those offers as well? Get real. The kid has played well when he has been on the field at FSU. ~62% completion percentage and 7:4 TD to INT ratio over just over 100 pass attempts. Watch the tape of his first career start as a redshirt freshman AT Clemson...he makes throws that I know for a fact Frazier and Wallace cant even dream of making.

I think we are writing off KF and JW too soon. Just my opinion.

It's not "we" that matters, it's Gus. Apparently he isn't satisfied with what we have at QB and is looking at all his options. I applaud him for looking outside the box and truly trying to find the best he can at the position. Also, if Gus was satisfied with Frazier and Wallace, we wouldn't be having this conversation so...

Kid just looks like he belongs on the field. Looks comfortable running the offense. Moves in the pocket well to evade rushers, steps into the pocket. Throws catchable balls, correctly identifies open receivers. Good accuracy on screens and short passes. Good understanding of when to put touch on the football, drops a few great balls right into receivers' hands on the run. Ball comes out when it needs to come out.

Throw at 6:23

Throw at 3:10

Throw at 4:57 ... buys time, throws a catchable ball on 2nd and 15

Throw at 9:10

Throw at 10:58 ... saves a broken play, keeps eyes downfield and completes a pass on the run

Kid just looks like he belongs on the field. Looks comfortable running the offense. Moves in the pocket well to evade rushers, steps into the pocket. Throws catchable balls, correctly identifies open receivers. Good accuracy on screens and short passes. Good understanding of when to put touch on the football, drops a few great balls right into receivers' hands on the run. Ball comes out when it needs to come out.

Throw at 10:58 ... saves a broken play, keeps eyes downfield and completes a pass on the run

Are you serious?

If Tricket does sign with us (probably a long shot) do you think one of our guys might see the handwriting on the wall and think about moving on? Hope not, but seems that this would have to be taken as lack of confidence from Coaching staff. They both have redshirt years available.

I'm just not solid on taking another QB at this point.

That would give us:

> SEC unproven QB/DB JUCO transfer

> Two SEC tested but inconsistent underclass QBs

> True Freshman/Redshirt Freshman QB

> Transfer, unproven QB

Why wouldn't you just put that effort into another QB who has more potential down the road instead of yet another untested QB?

Are you serious?

:dunno:

He made some nice throws. He also had as many bad throws, if not more, than he made nice throws. Third and short he is not an option. I still hope we get him, but I am not sold he would be our starting QB after watching that.

One of the things I like most about him is his pocket awareness. It's something that's an instinctual trait and he has it. He looks comfortable out there.

That would give us:

> Transfer, unproven QB

Why wouldn't you just put that effort into another QB who has more potential down the road instead of yet another untested QB?

Because we are low on numbers at the QB position. We need another body, just for insurance sake, IMO.

I don't want to read too much into it, but now I am even more concerned with KF and JW.

It should be blatantly obvious by now that neither of those two is the answer. Frazier is in his 3rd year, still wildly inaccurate, and more importantly has major deficiencies in areas of the position that are rarely improvable (decision making, handling and reacting to a pass-rush, etc). Jonathan Wallace, bless his heart, is a mid-major QB that was signed away at the last minute to fill depth. At the absolute best he is an average quarterback. Relying on him is nothing different than relying on a Clint Moseley.

Trickett is an upgrade to those two. I've been saying since Marshall was signed that he would be the starter, but if we were to land Trickett we would at least have a reasonable QB battle.

Makes sense to me!

That would give us:

> Transfer, unproven QB

Why? Because we are desperate for QB that's why. What we have right now is a QB with all the talent but has yet to put anything together, one who has the mental aspect but not too much in the way of being a starter at a championship level, a true freshman who looks to have it all but still has a curfew, and one who honestly wasn't all that great in JUCO and is better suited to play defense. Is Trickett a world beater? Probably not. But at this point we need all the options we can have until someone can grab the job by the throat and say its mine. It's not like we don't have roster spots available anyway.

"Dont worry, Kodi Burns will surely improve..."

We have no quarterback on roster. The coaching staff has seen enough of those two to make a safe assumption on whether or not they can play. Neither one showed much last year, to put it lightly, and both have obvious glaring deficiencies.

So you are writing off JW after playing as a true freshman? Absolutely ridiculous!

Unless JW makes a Herculean improvement he is not the guy nor should he he have ever been in an offense as a QB other than one that is heavy run option ala Georgia Tech or Air Force. Most other offenses require a much better passer than J-Wall so not ridiculous.

Again, ridiculous! JW put the ball on the numbers at A-Day, for the most part. Yes he missed an open receiver or two, but I have watched Brady, Manning, and Brees do the same thing. Jason Campbell gives all of you the middle finger. If he was judged by his true freshman year, he would never have played another down of football. Fortunately for us, and him, he wasn't.

Then why is Trickett on campus?

Are you serious?

DC was serious when he said Trickett is way ahead of any QB we have on campus now. I don't like it either, but just like we want BSPN to stick with the facts, we must as well!

We have no quarterback on roster. The coaching staff has seen enough of those two to make a safe assumption on whether or not they can play. Neither one showed much last year, to put it lightly, and both have obvious glaring deficiencies.

So you are writing off JW after playing as a true freshman? Absolutely ridiculous!

Unless JW makes a Herculean improvement he is not the guy nor should he he have ever been in an offense as a QB other than one that is heavy run option ala Georgia Tech or Air Force. Most other offenses require a much better passer than J-Wall so not ridiculous.

Again, ridiculous! JW put the ball on the numbers at A-Day, for the most part. Yes he missed an open receiver or two, but I have watched Brady, Manning, and Brees do the same thing. Jason Campbell gives all of you the middle finger. If he was judged by his true freshman year, he would never have played another down of football. Fortunately for us, and him, he wasn't.

Because we have two scholarship QB's on campus. We have a true freshman coming in, and a JUCO guy that played DB the last time he was in the SEC. We need bodies. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Because we have two scholarship QB's on campus. We have a true freshman coming in, and a JUCO guy that played DB the last time he was in the SEC. We need bodies. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do have my degree from AU. We all need to wake up and smell the coffee, if anyone thinks we don't have a serious problem at the QB position. If we didn't have a pgm, with two more QB's coming in the fall, Trickett would not be on campus, DC wouldn't have made the comments about him that he did, and Trickett is not here, because we need bodies.

That would give us:

> Transfer, unproven QB

I looked at it this way. Getting CT would almost guarantee that Gus wouldn't have to burn JJ's redshirt. He would give us a 4th option to go with KF, JW and NM so we don't have to go to JJ later in the year. Now, if one of those 4 light it up this year and also get the job next year, or, if JJ is clearly superior to those 4 in Fall camp and gets the start in game #1 this year, then so be it.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do have my degree from AU. We all need to wake up and smell the coffee, if anyone thinks we don't have a serious problem at the QB position. If we didn't have a pgm, with two more QB's coming in the fall, Trickett would not be on campus, DC wouldn't have made the comments about him that he did, and Trickett is not here, because we need bodies.

So after watching that video, and the fact that he couldn't beat out a true freshman at FSU (yes the true freshman is a stud, but he is a true freshman), you think he would be the starter next season, no if's-and-or-but's?

Archived